Group b strep am I at risk with second pregnancy when had it with first

(7 Posts)
Pippajames14 Sat 26-Jan-13 17:02:10

I had groups b strep during first pregnancy 14 mo the ago, am I likely to still carry this and next baby due in May be at risk, any advice would be great x

mummysmellsofsick Sat 26-Jan-13 17:13:52

I think it can come and go so best tested towards the en of pg

mummysmellsofsick Sat 26-Jan-13 17:14:39

end of pregnancy

floatyjosmum Sun 27-Jan-13 17:42:29

I was positive with dc1 so they tested me when pregnant with dc2

Although it was negative I was treated anyway but this was in 2005. I'm now pregnant again and have to swabs taken at 32 weeks. Diff hospitals have diff policy's but mine is no treatment if negative although I know another local hospital give you the house if -ve.

Hope this helps

floatyjosmum Sun 27-Jan-13 17:42:58

Choice not house!

LovelyChubbly Thu 31-Jan-13 08:54:23

Yes group B Strep can come and go (which is why countries which test pregnant women routinely for it test every pregnancy, regardless of whether you carried it before or not).

I found this link on the Group B Strep Support website about it which seems relevant - www.gbss.org.uk/content.php?section_id=3&sub_id=15&content=FAQs#17

NAR4 Thu 31-Jan-13 14:41:43

I had it in my last pregnancy and needed IV antobiotics throughout labour. Just got results back from a test done privately (got details from website that Lovely gives) and I don't have it this time. I'm 38 wks now, so will not be needing the antibiotics during labour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now