Has anyone had experiences of their baby being resuscitated with the cord intact?

(32 Posts)
chocolateicecream Sat 26-Jan-13 15:47:16

I am keen to know if anybody has given birth to a baby either vaginally or by C/S where the baby required resuscitation at birth and the cord remained intact during the process. Has anyone had any experiences of fighting for resuscitation with the cord intact and if so where did you have your baby? Cheers x.

5madthings Sat 26-Jan-13 19:18:29
5madthings Sat 26-Jan-13 19:20:41

amandine its done in some hospitals with the equipment shown, click able link now!

I guess its a funding issues well but it benefits the baby so would be great if this equipment was available in all delivery wards!

5madthings Sat 26-Jan-13 19:24:46

Traditional resuscitation units are not suitable for use at the delivery bedside, thus requiring the umbilical cord to be cut to allow the baby to be treated.
LifeStart overcomes this issue due to its compact design and ability to deliver all the required functions close enough to the mother to permit the umbilical cord to be left intact for the critical first few minutes, much of the research shows that at least 3 minutes gives the most benefit.
It is an additional emotional and bonding advantage, when that the baby does not need to be separated from its mother in the first minutes after delivery.
The unit has been designed with guidance from a multi-centre team of obstetricians and paediatricians who have been conducting extensive research on DCC."

chocolateicecream Sat 26-Jan-13 20:43:07

It is not good enough! I wish that there were more HCP's like David Hutchon.

fn.bmj.com/content/93/5/F334/reply

There is resuscitation equipment that is being used that makes it possible.

elliejjtiny Sun 27-Jan-13 16:54:41

DS2 was resuscitated at birth and the cord was clamped and cut (had delayed clamping with my other 2). The midwife was very nice about it all, she asked me if it was ok to cut the cord (I wasn't going to say no but it was nice to be asked) and she stood at the side of the resuscitaire so we could still see him. He was back with me 2 mins after he was born according to the notes but it felt like 20 mins at the time.

Rainbowbabyhope Mon 28-Jan-13 09:54:16

Our independent midwives keep the cord intact in this type of situation whenever possible because it gives the baby additional few minutes of precious oxygen - makes sense if the baby is not breathing independently! However in a homebirth situation the resuscitation station is portable so is simply moved to where mum and baby are whereas most hospitals don't seem to have this facility so unfortunately can't seem to benefit from this amazing additional oxygen supply.

5madthings Tue 30-Apr-13 22:09:18

For premature infants if you leave the cord before clamping they can get an extra 50% red blood cells, helping them oxygenate effectively and the oxygen they are still receiving from the placenta helps tide them over until they are breathing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now