traveling after caesarean

(13 Posts)
mayhew Sun 27-Jan-13 22:40:49

Lots of people travel after birth, esp cs, going to mums! You won't be discharged from hospital if not fit to travel. Think about the car. How it can be most comfortable for you, cushions maybe duvet to sit on. Maybe borrow a larger car if needed. You would probably want to travel in the back so that you can see your baby (newborn seats face backwards). Take some pain relief before you leave the ward, so you can get out of the car at the other end.

Find out which community midwifery service covers the area you are going to. You can phone the nearest maternity unit to find out. When you leave the rosie make sure they are contacting the right team in london. But if you know which one you can chase it yourself if noone shows up. These transfers of care happen all the time.

gingiber Sun 27-Jan-13 21:17:39

Thank you for the advice, QT. That's what I'm going to do.

QTPie Sat 26-Jan-13 01:42:04

Hi

I travelled one week after ELCS (two hours by car - London to Bath): absolutely no problem for me, baby slept all the way (leave the moment you have finished a feed - have car all packed and ready to go).

Depending on how soon you leave after your CS... IF you haven't been discharged from MW (to HV) care, you need to have your MW care transferred to your destination. Speak to your community MW about this: you really do need a community MW and GP in London.

QT

gingiber Sat 26-Jan-13 00:17:54

Thanks a lot! It is extra helpful. My conclusion is that it will be very uncomfortable and painful, but not dangerous. I talked to mw and she said the same (except she didn't quite detail how painful it will be!)--I can travel after being discharged from the hospital and the baby can stay in the car for up to two hours (we will definitely not need more than that). She also advised me to transfer care to where I will stay in London and not try to return to Cambridge when I need to see mw.

I know it would better to travel later or just to stay in the same place, but I can't do it. I currently live in a college in Cambridge where children under 14 are not allowed to stay overnight (yes, there are such places hmm), so will have to move out as soon as the baby is born. But Rosie in Cambridge has far better reputation than the hospital near my dp's house in London, so would prefer to give birth in Cambridge. This is my first pregnancy, so I worry about things enough anyway...

Ellypoo Fri 25-Jan-13 17:16:55

I had to travel 1.5 hours in an ambulance the day after my emcs, and then home again the day after, then again a few days later (there & back) - doable but not comfortable.

Bear in mind that you should have enough injections of heparin (or similar) before they discharge you, but you will need a MW to come out several times to check the wound and baby etc.

How soon after are you thinking? Personally, I would try to either move before the baby is born, or a few weeks/months after, once you have recovered and baby is a bit more settled.

ImNotCute Fri 25-Jan-13 14:51:27

I'm another one here who found the short drive home from hospital quite uncomfortable 2 days after an elcs. I wouldn't recommend any more travelling than is really essential in the first week or so.

Definitely speak to the midwife/ hvs to be absolutely sure you'll have no delay accessing any support you need after you move. If you're having feeding issues/ worried scar is becoming infected etc you need to know you have someone to call.

MrsAmaretto Fri 25-Jan-13 14:45:40

There's no restrictions that I'm aware of, NHS booked me on an hour flight home, then we had an hour drive from the airport, but they recommend we stay in the hospital 4 nights before going home. (After my elective)

However I think you need to speak to your midwife, you need to sort out aftercare from community midwives for both you & your baby, being on the list for health visitor etc etc.

Plus when you say "right after" what do you mean? Are you thinking you'll be in for 2 days, and can go straight from hospital to London? Birth/ electives don't work like that, what if you are bumped off the list due to emmergency sections? Or like me end up in hospital for 6 nights after?

To be honest I think you're crazy, there is no way I'd have travelled so long after my section if I'd have a choice, and I was able to cuddle my baby on the flight. It's also not advised to have an infant in a car seat for longer than to hours.

I haven't seen your previous post & reason for moving but could you move before the section & be booked into London?

MolotovCocktail Fri 25-Jan-13 14:45:11

'they can', even!

MolotovCocktail Fri 25-Jan-13 14:44:39

I didn't have to have injections - although friends who I know have needed them post-CS (is this a clotting factor precaution?) Agree that you will need to have your wound checked, so would need to find a GP in London before your move so that theyxan add you to their caseload.

Heavywheezing Fri 25-Jan-13 14:04:35

I agree with Molotov. I remember coming home from hospital and husband going over every manhole.
I winced every time.

How would the mw and Hv come to visit you? Perhaps some others might be able to answer that.

You will have injections to take and wounds to be looked at.

MolotovCocktail Fri 25-Jan-13 13:57:55

Oh, and re. complications: it really depends on the reason for your section. The liklihood of this is somethingthat you'd nee to discuss with your HCPs - people who know your personal obstetric history.

MolotovCocktail Fri 25-Jan-13 13:56:21

Goodness, I wouldn't want to have done that after my very straightforward ELCS! We travelled about 8 miles in the car from the hospital to home 2 days post-section and I felt every bump in the tarmac as we went. I'd had lots of prescription codeine and it was still uncomfortable. It wasn't hideous but I wouldn't have wanted to travel much farther, IYSWIM.

Also, what about feeding the baby? And ideally, the baby wouldn't be in the carseat for more than 2 hours.

gingiber Fri 25-Jan-13 11:40:10

I got very useful advice for my previous question (re moving during pregnancy), so now I try again with the alternative scenario we have in mind: moving to London from Cambridge right after giving birth. Does anybody know whether there is any danger in traveling an hour or two (as passengers in a car) after a caesarean--for the baby or me? Would it be safe once we are discharged from the hospital? And what are the chances that the baby or me would have complications which would necessitate either traveling back and forth to Cambridge or having to find our way around in a new hospital in London?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now