40+ and not engaged (not even a tiny bit)

(11 Posts)
EmpireBiscuit Mon 21-Jan-13 17:42:55

Thank you all. Great to know it might not all fall away from how I had planned.

I'm probably just being overly emotional about things, but am scared of the unknown.

Lime - pass on my many, many congratulations to Spring. I hope you're keeping well and I can't wait to hear your news.

LimeLeafLizard Mon 21-Jan-13 17:37:35

Hello Empire, I've come to offer a brew and some sympathy...

I had the same thing with my first. They tried to do a sweep but couldn't, I resisted induction for a few days but in the end they felt the conditions were deteriorating and in the end I caved and DS1 was born at 40 +14. On the down side it took a long time and I can't deny was more painful than spontaneous labour. However I ended up with a straightforward VD, and as you know am now on No. 4 and planning my third homebirth. smile

In your case, you still have quite a long time before they'll get itchy about induction (if you want to delay it for a few days, take your DH or someone supportive to your hospital appt to help you explain why you'd like to wait a few more days). Although I know it is SO frustrating waiting, and every day feels like a month, at least you know your little one is happy and cosy and you will get to meet him or her before too long. And on the upside you could go into labour naturally any day... maybe your baby will just move from 'not engaged' to fully engaged a bit quicker than most.

Thinking of you... hope to hear your good news in due course!
btw Spring had a baby boy last week! (on another thread with her)
Lime x

I would try not to worry as a PP said, 42 weeks is VERY normal, and you've got a lot of time. I am so sorry you had a midwife say you would likely need induction! That's quite a disheartening thing to hear at your 40 week apt.

emsyj Mon 21-Jan-13 13:58:53

I had a MW appointment 6 hours before I went into labour with DD (1st baby) and her head was still free. It isn't universal that first babies engage before labour. DD engaged when my waters broke.

Flisspaps Mon 21-Jan-13 13:38:19

I wouldn't worry

Pascha Mon 21-Jan-13 12:37:15

Worked for me, I was nearly fully effaced when she swept me and dc2 was floating at the pelvic brim.

EmpireBiscuit Mon 21-Jan-13 11:39:26

MW was pretty unhelpful, didn't give a sweep as she said "no point" as not engaged.

EmpireBiscuit Mon 21-Jan-13 11:37:40

1st baby sad

Pascha Mon 21-Jan-13 11:22:19

First baby or not? DS2 didn't engage til I was in labour at 40+6, no symptoms at all before that, I had a sweep on 40+5 which did the job and my waters broke a day later.

DS1 I was engaged 3/5 from about 39 weeks, still went over by 9 days though.

Flisspaps Mon 21-Jan-13 11:21:55

Is this your first baby? Subsequent babies often don't engage until later - sometimes once labour has started.

Normal pregnancy can last for up to 42w. Please remember that you are not obliged to accept induction (if you are worried about being alone in hospital), your MW should give you information on induction and also on the alternative of expectant management (ie, have regular monitoring and checks and see how things go for a bit longer). There are risks to going over, but there are also risks from the induction process.

EmpireBiscuit Mon 21-Jan-13 11:09:43

Please someone give me hope that this isn't going to end in an induction, the midwife thinks its very unlikrly that it wont. I've been booked for next week. I dont think I can cope with another week of being pregnant.

I am terrified of being alone in hospital.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now