The Placenta: physiological 3rd stage or injection?

(32 Posts)
LPplusOne Wed 16-Jan-13 17:48:22

I'm unsure of which way to go, as it seems there are clear pros and cons for both. Which did you choose and what would you choose if you were (or are) doing it again?

Me too Mayhew - grin

Last time it was all a bit of a mess. Placenta detached but membranes all tangled up inside me. Had to have a good fish around. MW was hopping about as she couldn't see what was going on with me being in the pool, but to her credit she asked me to explain what I could feel and gave me some guidance.

mayhew Thu 17-Jan-13 12:19:33

That reminds of a pool birth not long ago. "Here's another bit of membrane!" as she poked about her fanjango. I never even put any gloves on.

Admit it. That was me right? grin

squidkid Thu 17-Jan-13 17:51:49

I had a natural 3rd stage - it took a while (about an hour) and I had to push in the end and to be frank finding the energy to push at that stage was hard! They had to empty my bladder first, I couldn't wee by myself and apparently that might have been obstructing it. (I hope I remember that right, I was fairly out of it with exhaustion.) I heard the injection can make you a bit sick and you are more likely to have heavy bleeding for the next few weeks. i was at home for my birth so in no rush, I thought I'd see if it came out naturally, which it did.

squidkid Thu 17-Jan-13 17:52:32

ps. I did have pretty light bleeding post-birth - not sure if that is related or not. Only about 2 weeks, and lighter than a period except the first day.
I did have afterpains though.

mayhew Thu 17-Jan-13 19:58:10

Starlight: that would be spooky.

higgle Fri 18-Jan-13 14:47:06

I had a natural third stage with both my sons, at my request. It gave me time to adjust to it all being over, havea a little talk to DH and a cuddle with baby and then DH got to cut the cord, which is an important beginning of fatherhood ritual to us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now