Low Lying Placenta @ 20 weeks

(47 Posts)
JTN Fri 21-Apr-06 08:45:16

Right i'm terrrified , went for my scan and the scan shows a low lying placenta, have to go back for scan at 28 weeks told not to lift anything heavy and not have sex, Then i cam home and looked it up - i hadnt realised how dangerous it can be, how did others get on with this condition? and what should i expect - is it asd bad as in the books?, thanks

NotAnOtter Fri 21-Apr-06 08:47:03

mine moved to a safe position but i did have a couple of bleeds at 24 weeks and had to stay in hospital! I think most move good luck!

juuule Fri 21-Apr-06 12:15:09

Same here. Low-lying. Dreadful bleed at 14weeks. Had moved out of the way by 28weeks.

Uwila Fri 21-Apr-06 12:22:11

Mine was low too, with DS (who is my second child). I had a section with DD (first child) and apparently a low placenta is quite common if you've had a section. But it moved up and out of the way in plenty of time. The important thing is that it is not placenta previa. Ask them how low it is. It might be no big deal.

JTN Fri 21-Apr-06 15:03:10

thanks everyone.

jambuttie Fri 21-Apr-06 16:03:44

mine stayed low and i had emergency section hun but as long as you rest up and listen to docs/midwives you will be fine

Uwila Fri 21-Apr-06 16:05:28

The irony of mine was that I wanted another section and not a VBAC so if it just would have stayed low I wouldn't have had to jump up and down reciting NICE guidelines to get my planned section.

snafu Fri 21-Apr-06 16:23:24

Pretty common to find this at 20-week scan. Mine was too, but had moved well out of the way long before D-day.

Placenta praevia can be dangerous and is obviously an indication for c-section but there are 'degrees' of low-lyingness and it's more than likely that yours will move as the uterus grows.

southeastastra Fri 21-Apr-06 19:06:09

I had placenta praevia, at this time I'd urge you not to worry as they do normally move, but if it doesn't you will be well looked after and monitored by hospital. My son was born 3 weeks early by c section and I had to stay in hospital for couple of weeks before the birth (after few bleeds!). The main thing you can do I think and wish I had done, is take it really easy, just really look after yourself and try to enjoy being pregnant I wish I had I was just worried from start to finish!

mrsdarcy Fri 21-Apr-06 20:04:49

I had this with 2 of my 3 children and the placenta had moved by the time they re-scanned - which I understand is what happens in the vast majority of cases

jazzyp Fri 21-Apr-06 20:24:40

Mine was low at 20 weeks, but had moved up by 28 weeks. Midwife said they usually do move up as things grow.

Pernod Fri 21-Apr-06 20:33:02

Yep, I too had a low lying placenta at 20 weeks, I wasn't offered another scan until 36 weeks when it had moved, I think they do in most cases.

I had low lying at 20, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 and was booked in for C-section at 39 wks 4 days!!
Last scan showed it had moved significantly so that consultant said go home & have vag birth and I will see you at 42 weeks if you havent had it !!

try not to worry too much and look forward to more scans of your baby

kayzed Sun 23-Apr-06 21:11:25

My earlier local scans said mine was high, but the last scan I had (abroad) said it was low. Anyone figure that one out? Have to have another scan at 34 weeks...

kayzed Sun 23-Apr-06 21:11:57

PS Last scan was at almost 24 weeks

pupuce Sun 23-Apr-06 21:16:23

kayzed, well your lower segment of your uetrus is not yet formed so it (the placenta) can continue to move and find it's final resting position at a later stage.
Most low lying placentas move up.
Someone's told me that you can try homeopathy.... but that would require a consultation not some advice over the web.

red37 Sun 23-Apr-06 21:17:47

I had placenta previa with ds2, delivered by c section at 37 weeks, try not to worry, has your midwife explained things to you. A majority of placentas move out of the way by 34 weeks.

AmyP Wed 17-May-06 20:15:43

I had a low placenta at 20 weeks and it stayed that way. I then prepared myself for an elective c section. I had no bleeding at all though. Think positive, it is not a "fault" with the pregnancy, it is pure luck where the placenta attaches. The baby is doing its thing in there and will benefit from you being relaxed and thinking good thoughts!!

Joggers Fri 19-May-06 21:50:24

I had low lying placenta at 20 weeks and was terrified when I read about the implications. I had no bleeding at all but was always worried in case I would. Had a second scan at 34 weeks and all was fine. In most cases it does move out of the way.

PinkTulips Fri 19-May-06 21:58:40

had one with dd that moved and was told i have one again this time. doctor said 8 out of 10 move by themselves so the odds are in your favour JTN. i'm 28 weeks now and hoping to be scaned at my next hospital appointment in 2 weeks to see whats going on

Pinchypants Mon 22-May-06 12:51:18

I sympathise JTN - I had a low-lying placenta at the 20 week scan, too, and have to wait another five weeks now to 34 week extra scan to check it has moved up. I'm had no bleeding and no-one seems very worried at the moment. I do feel, though, that I can't have many conversations with anyone about 'birth plans' until I know whether it has moved or not.
Am assuming all will be fine and listening to hypnobirthing tapes and looking into waterbirth etc, but until I know for sure it hasn't stayed too low to risk normal delivery it's difficult to focus on the birth, as there is a tiny chance of ending up with a C-section if it has developed into placenta praevia.
Pregnancy is teaching me that I cannot always be in control!
Pinchy xxx

BettySpaghetti Mon 22-May-06 12:58:34

I'm another one who had a low-lying placenta at 20 weeks but it had moved when I was re-scanned at 36 wks

kayzed Wed 24-May-06 16:59:49

Can a low lying placenta develop into placenta previa Pinchy? Have my scan on Friday (33 weeks) to check whether it has moved out of the way...

eshee Thu 16-Aug-07 04:29:54

i still have low lying placenta, im now in 37 weeks.what should i do not to undergo C section.

Highlander Thu 16-Aug-07 15:46:45

At 12 week scan the midwife scanner said I had a low posterior placenta. The consultant doing my 16 week amnio said I had a high anterior and wanted a detailed report at the 20 wk scan. Midwife did the 20wk and said it was anterior but fine. I bled a couple of times and ended up in hospital at 33 weeks. Growth scan (also done by a midwife) at 34 weeks said it was fine.

I had an elective booked anyway - surgeon nearly sliced through it and said I had a partial previa. NONE of the scanners picked up on this. I was bloody livid, though not as livid as the consultant!

Make sure you get a second opinion by a consultant.

Fingerbobs Tue 21-Aug-07 16:22:19

Hi there, I'm behind you at 27 weeks and waiting for my next scan - I had complete previa at 22 weeks.

There really isn't anything you can do to avoid a c-section if the placenta is too low, ie covering the cervix, because basically the baby can't get out past it.

The Royal College of Obs & Gyn guidelines suggest that if the placenta is 2cm or more away from the cervix then vaginal delivery is ok, but if it's less, then a section is indicated. Movement is possible right up until birth, though, so perhaps you could ask to have frequent scans, if it's not too low-lying? I know that if I'm still complete then they'll section at around 37 or 38 weeks, because they don't want you to go into labour by yourself, again because of bleeding.

I really feel for you and hope everything goes ok - sending moving upwards thoughts to you.

At my 22 weeks scan in June, the placenta was covering my cervix. I have another scan in 3 weeks time(36 weeks) to check it has moved. I am hoping it hass as I really want a water birth..

magnolia1 Tue 21-Aug-07 16:31:47

eshee, there is nothing you can do to avoid a c section if the placenta is covering , partly covering or very very close to the cervix.
If when you have the last scan it is still in the way, relax, prepare for a section, write a birth plan, discuss with your consultant and dh what you would like to happen. Relax again oh and speak to Marslady on here she is fab

JTN, don't panic xx The majority move, some don't but you will be well looked after and only have a section if really neccassary. I was told not to lift, do too much, have sex. Pretty hard with 4 other kids. I did take it easy but only a bit Never had any bleeding and mine was complete placenta previa. I had a section at 37 weeks and it was fab xxxx

fruitful Tue 21-Aug-07 16:41:44

If you have a low-lying placenta at 20 weeks, you have an 80% chance of it moving clear. And you only need 2cm clearance!

Things that make it less likely to move are if it is covering the cervix at 20 weeks, or if it is at the front (anterior) below a cs scar.

You're fairly unlikely to bleed before 28 weeks I think.

Mine didn't move, bled and had cs at 34 weeks, result is currently watching cbeebies and eating crisps. I am 16 weeks pg now, this one implanted next to my cervix and placenta is currently low. Hey-ho ...

My top top is, stay away from Google!

fruitful Tue 21-Aug-07 16:42:22

Btw I am very encouraged by all you with complete praevia who didn't bleed and got to term!

berolina Tue 21-Aug-07 16:54:23

Bled heavily at 17 weeks (partial pp diagnosed) and again at 21 weeks (by which time it had become complete and I was told it was very unlikely to 'move'). In the ensuing weeks, however, it 'moved' completely out of the way, and I'm now 36 weeks and awaiting natural labour

aloha Tue 21-Aug-07 16:57:08

me, complete pp, a couple of bleeds, the last month or so in hospital, though felt v well, and fantastic caesarean at 37.5 weeks (9/10 apgar rising to 10/10, 8lb 8oz baby)

ShinyHappySchmooo Tue 21-Aug-07 16:59:20

I had a low lying placenta at 20 weeks. Very common esp in subsequent pregnancies apparently because do you know the a placenta will do its best never to attach to the same part of the womb twice! So there are less places to choose from once you've had one baby!

Mine had moved waaaay up out of the way by 28 weeks, as they do in the vast majority of cases. Don't worry.

Cloudhopper Tue 21-Aug-07 17:03:26

I had this too. It is easy to read up on it and get the worst case scenario. I tried to look on the bright side that I got an extra late scan, which reassured me that the baby was fine (because I was such a worrier).

They will take care of you - if it is a risk they will avoid it.

However, it does often sort itself out as other posters have said.

SabsBigPants Tue 12-May-09 20:30:11

I wanted to revive this thread for any further advice as I had my 20 week scan today and was also told that I have a low lying placenta and am due to have a scan again at 34 weeks to assess the situation. However I wasnt told to rest more and not lift anything heavy like others on here have been told....

SabsBigPants Sun 17-May-09 21:37:18

bump

SazzlesA Sun 17-May-09 21:43:35

I had the same but mine became a grade 4 placenta praevia (completely covering) and had a bleed at 31 weeks, followed by 5 days in hospital (including steroid injections to mature DD1's lungs). I was allowed home with 24 hr care and had a second bleed at 36 weeks. DD1 born by CS and no scbu etc (and no blood transfusions for me) and she is now a healthy happy 2.5YO

I think about 95% of low lying placenta's move, however, heed the advice (i took the bit about no hoovering very seriously grin) and go to hospital if you do have any bleeding

Good luck, i'm sure you'll be in the 95% smile

StayFrosty Tue 19-May-09 00:31:03

Hey Sabs,

I am 22 weeks pg and diagnosed with low lying anterior placenta at my 20 week scan. I wasn't told to not have sex or rest more; I was told it'll probably move. I think I'm just going to see what happens. So many people have such vast different experiences of it, there's no point going over and over what could happen, imo. I am trying not to think 'oh it will move and I will have natural labour' or whatever anyway because it could move and you could still end up with a section for another reason. There are no guarantees, so I'm doing my best to just stay calm and chilled.

annady Tue 19-May-09 13:16:42

hi,

just to add my experience to this thread: my placenta was completely covering the cervix (os) at twenty weeks - i was told there was a slight chance it'd move, but not much, because it was fully covering the exit. i wasn't told to avoid sex, lifting, etc etc, however.

i had a very light bleed at 21 weeks (didn't need to go to hospital, they just said keep an eye on it) but no other bleeding.

i was re-scanned at 32 weeks, by which time the placenta had moved, but only a couple of millimetres (it needs to be aboud 4cm away i think). at 36 weeks it had moved a few more millimetres. at 38.2 weeks - bizarrely - it had moved over 4cm from the os.

after spending most of my pregnancy anticipating a c-section, i went on to have a straightforward natural birth.

my advice (provided you've had no major bleeds or other related problems) is to push for a scan as late in the day to check placental position.

even at 38 or 39 weeks, there's still a chance (ime) that the placenta can move out of the way.

good luck - and try not to worry (easier said than done, i know...)

a x

millie2009 Thu 18-Jun-09 19:24:09

Hi I had low lying placenta with my second child and had a massive bleed at 24 weeks, I was told to have complete bed rest. I did and managed to get to 34 weeks, baby born by emergency section and I had to have transfusion. Baby in scbu with breathing difficulties for two weeks. He is now a very happy, healthy 4 year old and I am expecting my third. I have just had 20 week scan and told placenta is low lying again I am terrified but praying that it will move.

VerityClinch Fri 19-Jun-09 14:13:30

Just wanted to add my story (so far...)

Low lying placenta at 20 weeks, was reassured that most of them moved, and they would rescan at 36 weeks.

Have just had the rescan and placenta is now totally covering the os and would need to move 7cm before they would even consider a vaginal birth.

So I guess mine DID move - just in the wrong direction.

BUT, I've had no bleeding at all. Seeing the consultant next week to talk about c-sections...

forevermore Fri 19-Jun-09 17:03:23

verity i am 9 weeks behind you. tottally covering too. no bleeding fingers crossed this continues. Can you tell me to what degree you took it easy and how you felt

VerityClinch Mon 22-Jun-09 19:25:50

Well, quick update - am now booked in for c-section on 2nd July, 10 days before my due date.

forevermore to be honest, I haven't really taken it that easy. I went on maternity leave early, but that was really a matter of using up holiday, but I spent the first few weeks clearing out cupboards etc, which was probably more strenuous than if I had been at my desk at work. Plan to spend the next 10 days with my feet firmly up, though.

The consultant today said she had just read a paper about how transverse babies generally don't cause bleeding, maybe because they don't try to engage in the pelvis, which might be why I have got lucky so far. I have definitely been completely paranoid, doing the "wipe" test every time I go to the loo (tmi, I know) and freaking out about being too far from home, that sort of thing. I am natually paranoid cautious though.

So going in to cross match blood next Monday, and then for c-section next Thursday. Haven't quite got my head around it all yet, and of course am hoping that I don't get any bleeding in the meantime!

forevermore Wed 24-Jun-09 20:00:13

hmmthats interesting. I have been told to do nothing and stay hoe, which i have done for the most part. my LO is head down and has been resting head on placenta for a few weeks nowshock. thank god still no bleeds (28+1).

sounds like the end is nigh for you, well done you must be so releived that its son to be over (the worry that is)smile

forevermore Wed 24-Jun-09 20:03:19

verity forgot to ask, how many weeks will you be at delivery? i keep hearing with no bleeds they like to deliver at 36 weeks then others say 39 weeks?

sorry for all the spelling mistakes earlierblush

VerityClinch Thu 25-Jun-09 10:58:37

The consultant was all for doing the c-section asap - she had the cheek to say I'd "left it late" coming to see her, when all I have done is follow the exact advice of the midwives. So I felt a bit grumpy about that.

But, in the event, she couldn't book me in as early as she would have liked, so I will be 38+5 on the day of the section.

The growth scan I had last week shows baby is already 7lbs and was predicted to be as much as 9.5lbs full term, so I am happy it looks like she'll be a good weight.

Totally bricking it about next Thursday, though. Can't see me getting a lot of sleep on Wednesday night...

mississippiminnie Wed 13-Apr-11 07:42:13

low lying placenta at 22 weeks....but how strenuous is too strenuous? shopping? mopping? yoga? swimming?..how can one define taking it easy? due to go on holiday to Bali? is flying a problem?

Living in Goa so surrounded by hippy mums who spend all day on beach!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now