Post natal ward hell

(99 Posts)
SilverLake Mon 07-Jan-13 18:25:29

Anyone else experiencing the joys of the postnatal ward?

I'm shattered and want to sleep and amazingly my baby agrees. Meanwhile the woman in the next door cubicle has visitors and one kid (not the baby) has just spent 10 mins screaming his lungs out whilst the adults did nothing.

Please cheer me up with your stories. I'm here for a few days.

maryjane it would have really helped me if dp had been allowed to stay on the ward, as I don't think I would have felt so lonely and isolated.

In the days after giving birth I farted way more than dp ever could grin

Wereonourway Fri 11-Jan-13 00:42:43

Ooooh I'm a sunderland lady too doublecake!
Think we are very lucky, my ds was in nicu there too.
I stayed 3 nights on post natal was discharged and then got to spend another 5 nights "rooming in" on nicu as ds was breastfed.
Care was second to none, rooms on delivery suite and post natal ward were fabulous.
The staff in the nicu were particularly fabulous

MaryJane1962 Thu 10-Jan-13 14:23:04

These stories are so sad, hearing about lack of sleep and privacy etc. I think its only going to get worse I'm afraid to say. The hospital I work in is pressing forward with allowing partners to stay 24/7 on PN wards....and in shared rooms as well as side rooms. To me this is horrific. The thought of someones horrible smelly partner sitting in the chair all night next to my bed thats just separated by a curtain...sitting chatting to their partner as god know what time of the day, using their phones at all hours, using the same bathroom as women who have just had a baby, farting and burping (as men do), bringing their own food in (of no-telling what smells). Yuck. If there is no privacy and rest periods now then god help us in the future.

Pandasandmonkeys Thu 10-Jan-13 13:11:13

On earth! I'd done 3 night on there before moving to the private room. My bed was next to the door so the constant coming and going woke me up all the time. I had some extremely loud women on my ward who would talk loudly on their phones all night! The private room was the best thing ever!

Pandasandmonkeys Thu 10-Jan-13 13:09:28

I paid 60 quid per night 11 weeks ago. Best money I have ever spent! Well, I didn't actually pay anything in the end as the staff made a huge error in judgement which ended in a nasty accident, after that we were never sent the bill!! The PN ward was hell

ImKateandsoismywife Thu 10-Jan-13 09:16:51

Taggie that sounds awful! It really pisses me off that the petition to recruit more midwives failed to get enough signatures to even get the issue discussed in parliament angry

DoItToJulia Thu 10-Jan-13 08:36:59

I think part if the problems described above stem from the shortfall of about 5000 midwives that the UK currently has. If that gap was bridged, then maybe taggie could have a wee and a lunch break.

I think the part are some of the users of the services. Calling you a cunt is horrid.

I think the other part of the problem is that we just want to be at home....and anything else just isn't quite. Right!

MrsHoarder Thu 10-Jan-13 05:23:56

Taggie, is not the midwives that are being attacked, its the managers who close wards and cut staffing to the bone. Because you should routinely be able to eat/use the loo, and there should be enough staff looking after the patients to make that possible.

PootlePosyPerkin Wed 09-Jan-13 23:24:46

Congratulations! I must be odd as I quite liked the PN ward!

Taggie and STILL they close the maternity wards in London..... Stupid men in charge of the country.

Get some brew or wine in now you are home

TaggieCampbellBlack Wed 09-Jan-13 23:06:37

I've been on the post natal ward today.
I looked after 14 different women, 15 babies. I discharged 5 of them home. I admitted 6 others. I gave them water, tea, meals. I gave a blood transfusion. Checked about 17 blood pressures. Removed a catheter. Talked through discharge paperwork. Gave out drugs. Arranged physiotherapy and phototherapy. Checked blood sugars. Changed nappies. Taught expressing. Held a women as she cried. Got called a stupid fucking cunt and called security. I didn't have a wee between 1pm and 10pm nor anything to eat.

theboutiquemummy - hope you are home now!

Geekster Wed 09-Jan-13 22:45:12

The only thing that get me going was the lovely family in the bed opposite me. When they went home it turned into Jeremy Kyle ward. Two of the three others were far more interested in when they could go for a fag than their babies and used to just go and leave them. One night one of the midwifes just caught one of their babies on time before they rolled off the bed when it's mum had gone for a fag. This was the same one who had to go to court to see if she could keep this baby as her other two were in care. Quite sad really and did actually make me grateful for what I've got.

Geekster Wed 09-Jan-13 22:36:47

Post natal ward was hell. We were there for six nights they were the longest nights of my life. I had next to no sleep, I was seeing things in the curtains and calling my dd the wrong name on the last night. If I'd been in any longer I think I would literally have gone a bit insane.

I spent a week on the postnatal ward as DD was in SCBU, and it was one of the worst weeks of my life. I couldn't sleep, and barely ate anything - a combination of the food being terrible and me not feeling like eating. DP ended up bringing me painkillers as it was impossible to get hold of them from the midwives.

I was there over Christmas which didn't help.

I had planned a homebirth and will try for one again next time (if there is a next time!)

TaperJeanGirl Wed 09-Jan-13 10:55:39

I have had 4 babies at the Homerton, 1 natural but traumatic birth, and 3 planned sections, postnatal ward was hell each time, across the 4 times I had the usual noise, extreme heat, zillions of visitors and mums that would wait till their baby was screaming before deciding that it might be hungry, then taking 15 mins to boil a kettle and make up a bottle then another 15 mins to cool the thing down angry, I also had a mental health patient and her 3 week old baby opposite me one time that shouted on her phone all night and used to bring her baby over to mine and compare sizes and was amazed that her older baby was larger, had the police turn up to remove one of the dads, a woman that screamed for gas and air to have an INJECTION hmm really was awful, I begged for a private room told them I was happy to pay but was told I couldnt as I had to be monitored and obviously a door would obstruct them? And wtf is their problem with curtains?? WHY, when I am feeling sick, shattered, trying to breastfeed, trying to have something to eat, do I have to stare at strangers? I discharged myself the morning after each of my sections, limped off the ward dragging my case, made my bid for freedom! Awful!

Mytwobeautifulgirls Wed 09-Jan-13 10:31:27

although post natal wards are abpit hellish and u would rather be at home with your brand new addition.
bit of a looser but I lenjoyed it like someone else mentioned u get time alone also one thing what grated on me was visitors coming to my house hours and hours drinking and eating take aways and leaving me to do the tidying uo after 4 days post csection. so in all honesty I liked it in hospital at least people have to get out at a certain time. lol
on the other had the novelty soon wears off and you get back to normality smile

SilverLake Wed 09-Jan-13 05:18:11

Doigetastickerfor that - that is unbelievable! Some people really need a talking to or training. I definitely wish you better luck for later today.

DoIgetastickerforthat Wed 09-Jan-13 04:56:40

Congratulations on your new arrival.

Night 2, post section with DS3. It was 3am and DS3 had been on a feeding marathon but had finally settled to sleep when the doors burst open, all the lights are switched on and a girl who has just delivered is wheeled in. The midwife proceeds, very loudly, to sing "Happy Birthday to ya" because the lass has given birth on her own birthday. I could hear the orderly shushing her, saying there's somebody in the next bay, to which she throws my curtains back and declares it to be ok as I am awake!

The girl was then a right royal pain in the arse for the rest of the night as her baby was unsettled but instead of seeing to her she just kept saying "uunh baaaby, mummy's tiiiiiiired. Be quiet." Ad infinitum.

I wept... Literally sobbed with exhaustion. I'm going in at 8am today to have DC4 - I am not looking forward to the two day stay, wish me luck.

SilverLake Wed 09-Jan-13 04:28:40

Thank you everyone for your replies. I have been busy reading them during feeding ( is that disrespectful to DS?) and I have come out of my grump.

I love the use of the word fish tank. Made me smile when feeling down.

The £900 i was referring to was a transfer to a private wing, I didn't know you could pay say £100 for a private room in an NHS hospital. Mine doesn't have these as I would definitely have gone for that. There is a side room with two beds but I am happy that is reserved for those who really need it. I have a happy and healthy baby and am grateful. Plus I'm also grateful the ventouse worked and I didn't have a section.

I think it's all down to everybody being considerate of the others in the room. Day 1 i was shattered, sore, hardly mobile. Needed to sleep when my baby did but found that hard during visiting hours. Day 2 I didn't particularly appreciate being woken at 6am for the drugs run but since they removed the awful catheter which restricted my movements I was actually happy to be woken for that.

Staff have been wonderful. Back home tomorrow and I'll have to get back into things. In hindesight I've had a good space of time to recover here and been looked after really well even if I have felt a little bullied at times that is better than being ignored.

Right I'd better focus on sleeping now.

Thanks again everyone.

Pontouf Tue 08-Jan-13 21:21:37

I can totally recommend the Royal Derby Hospital. People were strictly limited to 2 visitors per bed and were strict about visiting times too, although partners were allowed from 8am till 10pm. It was unvelievably busy while I was there (2 nights post ELCS) and the midwives/care assistants were incredibly helpful throughout the first night when I couldn't lift DS from the fish tank myself. I rang the buzzer about once an hour to get someone to pass him to me and they treated each time like it was the first with no signs of being too busy despite the fact that the ward was full to bursting and there were three sets of twins and one set of triplets! DS wouldn't settle at all the first night so I was awake till 4am trying to get him to sleep for more than ten minutes. At 4am I pulled the buzzer and sobbed on a care assistant who showed me how to swaddle DS. He went straight to sleep. I very very nearly kissed her.

YokoUhOh Tue 08-Jan-13 16:42:21

I will definitely pay for a private room next time; it's about the same as a hotel and well worth it. Two separate hospital stays when DS was born due to being readmitted for jaundice; I found it marginally less stressful the second time. Huge groups of visitors bearing KFC, the X-Factor on full blast (no concept of headphones), one mum singing Twinkle Twinkle at 100 decibels to her (fast asleep) newborn, I could go on...

mycatlikestwiglets Tue 08-Jan-13 16:02:00

I paid for a private room (about £70 per night 2 years ago - although the hospital still hasn't billed me grin) instead of the postnatal ward as I'd heard horror stories. Tbh even the private room was pretty awful - I was totally neglected by the midwives and a total wreck outside visiting hours as DS wouldn't sleep other than on me and I was too scared to sleep with him in the bed, I was left to lie in the sheets I was put on right after delivering DS for days even though they were covered in blood (and I couldn't move for over 24 hours as they hadn't taken my catheter out), the toilet in my private bathroom got blocked and was deemed an infection risk so couldn't be used and noone told me that I had to go to find my own breakfast instead of it being brought to me so I had pringles for breakfast on my first morning there. Next time I'll be discharging myself asap, whether the midwives like it or not.

lakeofshiningwaters Tue 08-Jan-13 14:45:22

I recommend everyone get to hinchingbrooke then - just like fishandjam I had a good experience on the post-natal wards there. Lovely staff, clean, quiet wards and good food. In fact, after dd was born I was moved onto a side room and I begged to go back on the ward. It was just too lonely on my own (dd was in scbu) and I missed the signs of life.

Oh, and one of the midwifes did open all our curtains, but only to suggest we all have a chat for some adult time, and recommended we talk to the lady in one of the bays who was on her 6th baby as 'she'll likely talk more sense than any of us midwives and health visitors put together!'

PetiteRaleuse Tue 08-Jan-13 13:14:25

Where I gave birth (cs) we were in rooms with two beds. The last time the room was really hot and the woman in the other bed had at one point twelve visitors including noisy children who weren't told to be quiet or stop running.

Her and her dh's extended family were in and out all day, both days of the weekend. I'm not allowed painkillers stronger than paracetamol, as I said the room was hot and I was in so much pain. Eventually a kindly mw came in, took one look at me (it was 7pm) and said she needed to examine me and kicked everyone out. She then stayed and chatted with me until 8pm at which point visitors were no longer allowed.

I will forever be grateful to her for that hour of peace. The woman in the other bed was mortified but didn't feel able to stand up to her dh's family and tell them to bugger off she explained later that evening. I got her permission to tell them to quiet down myself the next day, and she was grateful (she'd had a traumatic birth and actually didn't want so many visitors)

I'm so glad it was my last child as the post natal ward was so awful, despite really good food and care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now