Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

ELCS

(9 Posts)
Dynababy Sat 05-Jan-13 23:04:44

Predictive text changed rcog to recognition! Oops!

Dynababy Sat 05-Jan-13 23:04:04

Thanks everyone. Ushy thanks for the recognition paper exactly the sort of stats I want to be armed with! Panzee I hope you get your VBAC agreed.

Panzee Sat 05-Jan-13 19:55:21

You might not have to fight. I want a VBAC but when I went for my consultant appointment he had his diary open ready to book me in for a section!

elizaregina Sat 05-Jan-13 19:53:32

Aas Above and also rememeber within the same hospital one consulant maybe very sympathetic and another may be equally obstinate...and with each one you " may" have a vastly different sitation...

So if first one isnt helpful or you dont feel they listening to " you" and your concerns...simply ask to speak to another.

Ushy Sat 05-Jan-13 19:47:38

As rain says, it is in the NICE guidelines on caesarean section publications.nice.org.uk/caesarean-section-cg132/guidance#pregnancy-and-childbirth-after-cs

You shouldn't have to argue - you should be offered a choice. However, the NHS does discriminate against women so if you are stuck, point out that you are at higher risk of emergency caesarean/complications because you have not had a previous vaginal birth. This increases your risk substantially- short interval is another risk factor.

Here's the document from the RCOG to study - www.rcog.org.uk/files/rcog-corp/GTG4511022011.pdf

Good luck but you may find they actually don't oppose you. If you were forced into VBAC and something went wrong, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they were sued. (PS Tip! Put your request and reasons in writing)

Stropzilla Sat 05-Jan-13 18:28:59

I had this with dd2. I just stuck to my guns and insisted. I had several chats which were geared towards me having a vbac but I always calmly thanked them for the information, told them I had read everything given to me and had decided elcs would be best for me. Repeat as needed. Only once did I have a problem but being firm sorted that. Be strong.

Dynababy Sat 05-Jan-13 18:22:10

Thanks Rain that's really helpful.

rainrainandmorerain Sat 05-Jan-13 14:51:58

I will try and post links when i am not on rubbish phone... sorry, but yhe info you need to look at is NICE guidelines on Caesarian, which include VBAC.

As far as risks go, yes there is greater risk to the baby (death, serious injury) during VBAC than repeat CS (a known risk but one which doesn't crop up a lot during pro-VBAC conversation....).

It's not a huge risk - both are generally v safe for babies - and of course there are plenty of other risks in both directions. The only really meaningful comparisons are between planned vbac and planned elcs btw. The problem still with a lot of cs info is that it lumps in emcs with planned cs, when they are very different experiences, obvs.

As far as attitudes to vbac v repeat cs go, experiences vary hugely. It seems to depend on the hospital policy and individual consultants. It shouldn't but as with much nhs care, you are dealing with a lottery. Some women have had a fight to get a repeat cs, others a fight to get a vbac. It is worth knowing that you can always ask for a different consultant if you get one who tries to force you down a path you know is not right for you.

i'll post links to NICE info later if someone else doesn't.

Dynababy Sat 05-Jan-13 12:44:48

Hi wondering if anyone can help me pls. I had a EMCS last time after horrible 4 days in hospital.. DS now 17 mths and I'm due in June. I have a consultant appt next week and really want them to grant me a ELCS rather than be pushed to VBAC. Can anyone in a similar position offer advice on how to convince the consultant to book me in for the section without further debate? I really can't face VBAC but also heard that ELCS safest for baby after CS ESP when less than 2 years between births, does anyone have any more info on this or help with what I say? Thanks! flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now