Being alone for caesarean. Opinions and experiences please.

(33 Posts)
Grapesoda Sat 05-Jan-13 12:06:36

I am due to have an elective section in a few weeks. I have one ds who lovely SIL will look after. DH is not keen to be in theatre for the "operation" as he is v squeamish. He is actually a v supportive dh, hands on dad, good provider, always sticks up for me etc. but he would rather wait outside the theatre to see dc. I am not actually that bothered, I'm not at all squeamish and not scared of being in the operating room. I know everyone's different and it's up to us but doesn't seem ally weird for him to not be there and me to be only own? Anyone else done this?
Thanks in advance for replies.

Grapesoda Sun 06-Jan-13 08:32:13

Thanks so much for all the replies. I have explained to him that he wouldn't see anything of the op but he still can't understand why anyone would want to witness their dw having surgery. He was present during my v traumatic forceps delivery I theatre and that affects his view (although I've explained that this would be much calmer). I know if I insisted he would be there but that's not really my approach to these sorts of issues, I don't find it helpful long term.
I feel quite encouraged now and if I actually got to see dc being born that would be a bonus for me.

elizaregina Sun 06-Jan-13 12:58:17

bless - they dont witness anything you dont see anything except your dw!

my DH saw ALOT more during my first VB!!!! he saw nothing during this!

anyway you will be fine also some theatres have a screen you can watch too

catkins1979 Tue 08-Jan-13 12:46:13

Just do whats best for you as a couple.

MrsHBaby3 Wed 09-Jan-13 19:24:14

I think he should man up! He's got the easy job, you're having major abdo surgery, and can hardly decide actually no you dont want it.

Grapesoda Wed 09-Jan-13 19:54:17

Well, MrsH, i do hear you, but i don't see what help he would be if he's very anxious. Some men talk about feeling quite turned off their dp after witnessing the birth and i don't need that either really. I do get what you're saying but i can't make him want to be there in the theatre.

I agree with MrsH, I would be seriously unimpressed if DH didn't come in become he couldn't deal with it. It's not exactly a walk in the park for me either!

But if you know there's no way to change his mind, what can you do really. I understand why you feel having him there under duress would be even worse.

Grapesoda Sun 13-Jan-13 12:39:13

Thanks for all your comments. Just been informed by obstetrician that I can have the screen lowered to see baby being born, so quite excited now. I doubt this would happen if dh was there, understandably.

Missingthemincepies Sun 13-Jan-13 17:02:43

That sounds like you've got a good plan that will suit both of you. Will be much better for him to be waiting outside with cake and champagne!
Very best of luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now