Why will i need a sieve??

(18 Posts)
SoHHKB Thu 03-Jan-13 21:42:24

In preparation for my homebirth which didn't happen but that's another story... I bought some enormous plastic dust sheets from B&Q and put them under a fitted sheet so they draped onto the carpet as well...
Good luck smile

hostelgirl74 Wed 02-Jan-13 21:13:07

I couldnt see any poo, no-one said anything but i could smell my own poo so knew i had. Hated that whilst my partner was there. A nurse told me most people if not everyone does poo in labour. Like they say, sh*t happens.

rogersmellyonthetelly Wed 02-Jan-13 19:05:02

I didn't think I had pood with ds, dh later confirmed that in fact I had :0/
With dd I knew i was pooing and Couldn't stop, nor did I care actually!

ImKateandsoismywife Wed 02-Jan-13 17:37:57

I don't understand how anyone can push a baby out and not poo!

Dogsmom Wed 02-Jan-13 16:38:38

It's this reason that I've chosen not to have a waterbirth, it wouldn't bother me if I did a 'normal' poo because it could be fished out easily but I've read that a lot of women get the runs and I hate the thought of sitting in a pool with runny poo in it.
Farting is another, lol, they sound so loud in water and I'd be mortified at the bubbles!

PickleSarnie Wed 02-Jan-13 14:56:03

I'm fairly sure I did first time round. Was numb with epidural so didn't feel anything but saw the midwives switch the mat for a new one.

Second time was at home and in a small, non air conditioned environment like my living room - there was no escaping the fact. All I really remember of the pushing part is me going "im going to poo myself, I'm so embarrassed" over and over again. Which at least detracted from the pain at least.

Midwives don't give a shit though! grin they see it all the time.

Gingerbreadlatte Wed 02-Jan-13 10:56:25

Yes for removing poo. And don't ask anyone after if it happened. I did with my first water birth and regretted it muchly when Dh said yes..

Second birth 2 months ago. Didn't ask, wasn't going to. But we videoed the end bit..... Not advisable. shock

ThreeWheelsGood Wed 02-Jan-13 10:47:12

I expect you did with your son, midwives are very.discreet!

Sossiges Tue 01-Jan-13 18:50:00

Not all shower curtains are waterproof, some are only splashproof

Magicpink Tue 01-Jan-13 18:43:01

Yes that's a great idea which i just read elsewhere on here, thank you. I had been looking at waterproof bedding which was looking like an expensive option just for floor coverings, so will get a couple of cheap shower curtains instead. Thanks for your help!

No sieve required if your not having a pool, but a shower curtain will come in handy grin

piprabbit Tue 01-Jan-13 18:32:07

Most women poo - many don't, but most do. The pressure of the baby's head squeezes the poo out like toothpaste out of a tube.
Luckily MWs are very discreet and you may never know.

Magicpink Tue 01-Jan-13 18:29:01

oh ok. well i'm not having a water birth. how often do women poo when in labour then? i didn't with my son

CointreauVersial Tue 01-Jan-13 18:25:33

grin grin Wave goodbye to your dignity.

OrangeLily Tue 01-Jan-13 18:22:34

No experience here but is it not for when you poo yourself in the pool and the midwives subtly whisk it away so it doesn't float past your face?

Pendipidy Tue 01-Jan-13 18:20:21

For when you do a poo in the water before baby comes!

...you are horrified now, right?!

piprabbit Tue 01-Jan-13 18:18:53

Guess - what might you find floating in a birth pool which isn't a baby

Magicpink Tue 01-Jan-13 18:18:06

Hi there. I am hoping to have a home birth in 5 weeks or so, and having read a page on here about tips for home birth, i am baffled by several suggestions of having a sieve present without any further explanation! Can anyone enlighten me?! Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now