ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.
Anyone refused induction and willing to share their experiences please.(42 Posts)
That's just it really. I was induced with my first baby and it was awful. I'm now 40+1 and have told my midwife several times I wont be induced purely for being overdue. However I'm seeing her on Wednesday and wondering how girded my loins need to be for a confrontation. Will I have to see a consultant?
I'm happy to agree to monitoring at 12 days overdue even though I know NICE guidelines say 14 days, but I'm not sure what else to expect in terms of who I have to speak to etc.
Also did any of you have a point in your own mind that you would have been willing to be induced? Not necessarily for medical reasons but more because you felt at that point you would have given it your best shot and it wasn't going to happen without some help? (hope that makes sense)
Yes, feel a bit the same OP. Is there any way around your OH being that bit further away? My DP works at least an hour away, and I'm wondering if this second baby will be quick... Not sure we can do much; they still have to work don't they? X
Thanks moonhare. interesting about your sweep, my last one with ds (I had 3 attempts in total) I was found to be 2cm dilated, but that was on the Friday and I still end up having to be induced on the Monday as per my hospital appointment. It was a pretty thorough sweep too, the mw told me she had felt lots of hair on his head but it still didn't work.
On a different note when you'd gone past your edd how relaxed were you about your dp going too fat away? dp will be about an hour and a half away tomorrow but towards London so could be longer if in traffic. I'm not very happy about it but the nature of his job means he has to travel so not sure how to get around it.
Hi OP just wanted to add some more encouragement for you. My DC3 was born 9 weeks ago at 12 days over. I had planned a home birth and been told it was unlikely to be supported beyond term plus 10. So like you but for different reasons I fretted and worried at the end about how I would stand up to any pressure to be induced, I didn't want a sweep either as I was concerned that this too would be 'interfering'.
Happy ending though as at 41 +2 I had a routine MW appt and was offered a sweep. The MW said women have been using sweeps as a way to start labour for thousands of years and as long as cervix is favourable it will not be the start of a cascade of intervention. She examined me and I was 3cm dilated already anyway, had sweep - not uncomfortable at all even though I had severe SPD. Went into labour 30 hours later and had the lovely home birth I'd hoped for.
I also felt my body wasn't working properly and was quite despondent but baby came in her own time and was perfectly happy. I didn't come under any pressure, even at the 41+2 appt the MW made a hospital appt for me but that was just for monitoring, and baby arrived the day before the appt anyway.
It's stressful when you go overdue, I felt guilty as if I was holding people up. It's not easy waiting, it's not like you're just waiting for a bus to turn up is it?! But it sounds from your last MW appt as if they're not going to pressurise you into induction and it's very likely baby will arrive before 42 weeks anyway.
Very best wishes to you.
Finding this Fred v heartening. DS was +14 od by scan dates but I would say more like 8 in my estimation. We were fine - lovely HB - and he was q a small baby so needed extra oven time. I have hitme scan edd today but imagine I'll go over at least a week again. All the inductions I know of have led to trauma or misjudgement at least. Of course there is a place for induction but I don't see how it has become a routine procedure in so many places as it seems to make more work for hospital staff, not less, and there are still risks involved. Sorry, not adding much to the discussion but thanks for talking it through here. I am doing my damnedest to stay cool over the next two weeks. Of course everyone just wants their DC to be safely in their arms ASAP; I would love to be nursing now rather than hobbling around wondering how far I can stray from the house and how on earth to keep DS entertained. DP is dying to be on pat leave. The trainee MW is keen. The GPs are on tentahooks. We all want this baby here, but rushing it seems destructive.
Rainbow, just wanted to wish you all the v best with this pg/birth given everything you've suffered. Must be v challenging to stay calm, but brilliant that you are getting there. Xxx
Well I actually had quite a positive meeting with my mw yesterday in so far as despite me being 40+4 she didn't even mention induction. She asked about a sweep at the end of this week and I said that in my head I'd thought Monday would be the earliest I'd think about having one (I'll be 41+2) and she was happy with that.
I'm still feel feeling quite uptight though as I'm really struggling to stay positive about my ability to go into Labour naturally. I feel Like my body is letting me down. Ridiculous isn't it!!! really wish they didn't give due dates, just rough estimates e.g."well miss namechange your baby is due early in the new year"
no, they didn't with me, either.
it was basically "we have to book you in for your induction at 40+10."
no discussion about what would happen if not - I had to ask.
no wonder so many women just go along with it - they're not told there is a choice so why would they doubt?
So sorry for your loss Rainbow.
I refused induction because I felt there was no need for it. The dates vary from hospital to hospital according to policy (ie the one I was at induce at 40+12, the one in the next town not till 40+14) , they seem to be completely arbirtrary. When I refused it, the mw, who had just done a sweep (i was due to be induced the next day) said she though it was the right thing to do as my cervix was still unfavourable. I agreed to be monitored every day instead (from 40+13) and went in to labour at 40+14. When I went in for monitoring at 40+13 the doc who saw me wanted to put an end date on the monitoring, which I agreed to as I felt it shouldn't go on for ever, so we agreed on 40+17 induction if nothing had happened by then.
I felt that I was bullied in to originally agreeing to the induction and was so upset by it that I spent a lot of the next week stressed and in tears which probably helped me not go into labour before! According to the NICE guidelines they are supposed to talk you through the alternatives when they offer induction, but they certainly didn't with me.
rainbow - I'm sorry about your loss
anfmd i do agree with your reasons - having to worry about what could go wring with an induction is really not what you need.
DD didn't look 16 days over. she wasn't wrinkly or overcooked or dry. and she still had a correct amount of vermix
Oh wow Rainbow. I totally agree with your decision but you'll have more to deal with at then end of your pregnancy than most of us.
So sorry for your previous loss.
Its worth noting that in France and many other countries full term is considered to be 43 weeks and not 42 weeks - this just shows you how arbitrary and stupid some of the hospital policies we have in this country are. Sometimes there are very good reasons to induce but many times when the only reason presented for induction is going past 40 weeks there are not and people are pressured by the assumption in this country that all our babies should arrive before 42 weeks. Remember induction, like any other medical intervention, comes with risks to you and to baby's health - its not an equal alternative to spontaneous labour when both baby and mother are doing well in pregnancy.
In my own circumstances, I have been offered induction from the beginning in my current pregnancy because DD1 was stillborn (she was induced). I am being offered it in my current pregnancy from as early as 36 weeks even though this pregnancy is totally healthy and the consultants have admitted that there are absolutely no medical reasons for induction at all - they say they are offering it to me so that I apparently have more control over timing and don't have to worry for as long (which I obviously do every second of this pregnancy). These are absolutely ridiculous reasons for inducing an otherwise healthy baby - I have no idea why they think I would want to subject my baby and myself to the risks of induction (especially if baby is not anywhere near to be ready to be born). I now I will be put under increasing pressure to induce as the pregnancy progresses to give the hospital the illusion of control but I will be refusing any discussions on the matter unless they present me with compelling medical reasons why the benefits of induction would outweigh the risks i.e. the baby's or my medical condition changes.
I went to +14 with Baby Goo and was made to feel horrendous, stupid and irresponsible. There was one midwife who was nice to me, and acknowledged that I had thought through what I was doing.
I don't regret not being induced, and I would refuse again with a 3rd.
I don't remember having more than one VE when I had DS and I was in for about 5 hours. Obviously they didn't hurt me or I would have noticed. I had none with Baby Goo as I go to hospital, ran down the corridor and she fell out (had plenty of time to get into optimum 'slide' position over the two weeks extra I gave her!).
I just think that for people who are right only 5% of the time, they are all a bit obsessed that we abide by their decided due date!
I didn't think of it like that starlight it's an interesting point about ve's only being part of the picture, I do feel like a lot of midwives rely on them though to assess women, especially at the first point of contact in hospital.
When I asked my mw if I would be allowed to use the pool without a ve she wouldn't give me a straight answer, and unfortunately in hospital I can't just get into it (could give it a go though,get in even without water and point blank refuse to move Lol)
I didn't have any internals with my last two. They are a tool, not the oracle, and a good midwife shoukd be able to do her routine job without them unless there is cause for concern and she wants additional information.
It's a bit like weighing a baby to assess their health. A bit daft on it's own and silly to get a bee in your bonnet in a slow growing but otherwise healthy baby. If the baby is poorly or sleepy, it can THEN add to the overall picture.
my reg was so hysterical about me killing my baby that i laughed at her. she asked me why i was laughing and the red mist descended while told her that had i not i would have been very angry at her attitude.
you tell your dh that if he csn't support you then he won't be going into the appt.
also. i agreed to every other day monitoring and in the evenings because i was still at work.
if you don't a VE that's fine too.
i only mentioned it because if you choose ti have one then it might as well be for a sweep.
so, yes if you don't want a VE say no. it's your body.
you actually have two very good reasons to avoid induction in your last post-
1) you haemorrhaged after induction last time
2) you have physical issues stopping you from opening your legs when not ready. an induction will speed up the natural process and may cause you further injury
The only issue I've had during pregnancy has been some varicose veins swell in one of my legs and groin. Saw a consultant about them as after last delivery I got a small clot in a superficial vein and they wanted to check my notes to check it definitely wasn't a dvt.
I'm not sure how I feel about a ve and sweep. I've stated on my birthplan and told my mw I will be refusing all internal exams when in hospital (that's a whole other issue as I want to use the birth pool) it's partly a control thing after last time, but it's also because the swollen veins in my groin have made everything very uncomfortable down there, and in the last few weeks I've had some as spd type pain (not diagnosed officially but mw said that's what it was) which makes opening my legs too wide extremely painful so the whole "draw your knees up and let them fall open" procedure will not be pleasant.
Monitoring I think I'm happy to agree to from the usual point of induction which I think is 12 days in this trust. However I won't be agreeing to everyday as there's no way we can manage that with my dp at work and a 2 year old.
The only other worry I have is that if we have to speak to a consultant and get the guilt trip my dp will be swayed by the hyperbole and will change his mind about refusing. He's very much on board at the moment, but obviously it's a different matter when you're potentially being told you're being reckless with your babies life. I'll definitely have another look at those links and try and forwarn him of what we might be up against.
oh and out of interest I had a haemorrhage after my botched induction so seems like no rhyme or reason to them
they're not supposed to do that (but it doesn't stop some of them)
Or from tugging on the cord during a physiological 3rd stage. That'll do it too.
and i can't spell haemorrhage
cosof the us spellcheck.
DD 's hand!
no. my haemmorage was due to dh's hand being tied to her head at a funny angle causing me to have to push for nearly 3 hours.
if she had been normal and not had an arm at right angles to her head, i would have only been pushing for about an hour. i sent a looooong time with a biy's head wedged party out of the hole before they had to cut my underbeneathsies.
don't panic. it was not because she was overdue.
haemmorage is normally because if too much or too harsh pushing.
I had a haemorrhage but I put it down to the consequences of a hospital birth. Not to say it isn't possible at home of course but I believe I lessened my chances by birthing at home.
Sorry for hijacking the thread but if the hemorrhage was due to being overdue I'd like to know for possible future pregnancies and I'm sure other people would like to know it's a risk too.
nickel our stories do sound similar - I also had low iron in pregnancy and hemorrhaged. Fortunately I hemorrhaged after DS was born but I had to have surgery to remove clots along with a blood transfusion and have had 2 iron transfusions since. They couldn't tell me what caused the blood loss though.
Did you ever find out why you hemorrhaged? I'm assuming, for me, it was just one of those things but my mum is adamant that I have a meeting with the consultant to ask why it happened. I don't know if it's worth it though.
and i totally agree- the worry of the stress if it all is worse. so make your decisions and stick to it.
give them little wins here and there (the monitoring , scans etc)
anddecide your "what-ifs" before you begin.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.