When know for sure home birth ok?

(38 Posts)
leannac Sun 30-Dec-12 14:56:17

I'm 32 wks & am planning for homebirth which all seems ok so far but wondered if I should hang fire on getting birthing pool etc until a bit further along. Are there any further checks they do in later midwife apts that would mean they could possibly recommend hospital birth? This is my second baby but first homebirth

leannac Tue 01-Jan-13 15:45:33

Blondefriend, what was it that changed so suddenly you needed to be induced? Seems silly in the grand scheme of things but am just trying to avoid spending £100 on a birth pool until I know I will be able to use it. Whilst also desperately knowing I don't want to do a home birth without one so panicking about not getting one in time!

gallicgirl Tue 01-Jan-13 15:50:32

I had a home birth without a pool and it was fine.

MW did a home visit around 35-36 weeks and then just brought all the kit with her on the day.

clickingtock Tue 01-Jan-13 15:56:53

Leannac, you simply can't plan for these things other than staying positive and going for what you want. You have time to pick up a bargain on eBay (just buy a new liner). Personally I waited til I was booked in, but as others here have pointed out that can vary according to your trust. I got an unused second-hand pool for £50 and will sell on however the birth turns out... Just go for it, but accept it may or may not be how you envisaged it. Good luck.

blondefriend Tue 01-Jan-13 20:41:04

My MW thought everything was ok and sent me for a "check-up" scan at 39 weeks. I was seen by a consultant immediately after the scan who told me I had severe polyhydramnious and needed to be induced. TBH I knew I was carrying a lot of weight but just thought I had overdone it with the chocolate. I'm still amazed the MW didn't pick up anything was wrong.

leannac Wed 02-Jan-13 07:52:55

Oh that's a bit scary blondefriend. I have to keep thinking I am going to have a home birth as last birth was so traumatic that I mentally cannot cope with the thought of going into hospital again. It gives me the heebie jeebies

GaryBuseysTeeth Wed 02-Jan-13 08:05:34

Good luck for your homebirth.

I had been planning one all the way with DS & was booked in to have one.
Then he stopped moving at 38wks and when I went in they noticed he'd developed an irregular heartbeat (which wasn't there at my appointment a few days earlier!!), he started moving again but he needed to be born in hospital.
He stopped moving again at 39wks & I was induced, all was fine with him. Awkward little bugger.

A friend of mine planned a homebirth, got to 41wks went into labour & started filling the birth pool, only to then find meconium in her waters so she had to go in anyhoo.

Are there any on eBay in your local area? You may find lots of people have bought them only to not use them (like friend above who sold hers after).

bealos Wed 02-Jan-13 11:54:46

I'm going to test out our pool today!

eagleray Wed 02-Jan-13 17:52:15

Leannac - sorry you had such an awful time with your last birth. This is my first, but I have some very bad memories of the hospital where I would give birth and that is partly why I am hoping to opt for homebirth (10 yrs ago,my then partner was critically ill for months and I had to go into the hospital day after day not knowing if he would live or not, and also found his loss of dignity/suffering very distressing).

So, am hoping to stay at home, and have let MWs, docs etc know I am not that happy with going into hospital, but at the same time understand it may be necessary and will accept that if things don't go as planned. There is also the option of paying for a private room which I think would help a bit so I will hopefully do that (if there is one available on the day).

Do you think you would be able to cope with a hospital birth if you had to? It may be worth talking through your fears with someone. I am doing hypnobirthing, which am hoping will help with any situation I end up in, as well as with a homebirth.

MW did home visit today finally! (am 37+5) She was happy with house/facilities and also pointed out a few things I need to buy asap, which was useful.

Bealos - how did the pool testing go today? Am still waiting for my pool to appear - there's nothing like a missing pool to bring on imaginary contractions!

brettgirl2 Wed 02-Jan-13 18:06:07

In my case the decision was made 2 minutes before birth. Meconium in waters but too far on to transfer!!!

Keep an open mind but so glad I chose to do it at home

bealos Wed 02-Jan-13 18:13:55

Pool is currently inflated and filling up (slowly) with water. Ds1 (7) is incredibly excited. He thinks it's like a combination bouncy castle / giant paddling pool.

CrunchyFrog Wed 02-Jan-13 18:26:06

eagle I have thalassaemia trait, it's worth getting it checked out, as my "normal," non-pregnant hb is about 10. if you have thal trait, the important number is the MCV.

I had 2 home births, the second one at 42+3. You can only be advised, not indstructed, and in my case I felt that the baby and I were safer at home.

eagleray Wed 02-Jan-13 20:23:40

Thanks CrunchyFrog - will remember to ask about the thalassaemia at next appt. I have endless trouble with ferretin levels when not pg although generally don't have any symptoms. Think Hb is normally ok - it was 11.3 in first trimester then has dropped a fair bit since. MW who visited today was fairly unconcerned about it - but then it does seem to be very subjective and each MW seems to work to a different threshold!

eagleray Wed 02-Jan-13 20:26:52

Glad you are having fun with the pool bealos - I would be going crazy with excitement too if I was 7!

I will have to be a bit careful with DP 'helping' me with pool - he has a tendency to break everything during assembly and is a bit like an overexcited dog when it comes to water hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now