ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.
Driving after a section(26 Posts)
Hi just need some advice ... I had an emergency section 11 days ago and after 5 days i went my shopping and pushed myself too far and my wound ended up leaking and infected... So i am on antibiotics and have dressings on my wound. I really want to be able to drive again as my partner cant drive and i want to get out the house or i may go mad lol can i get some advice on when u think i can drive again?
It's usually 6 weeks, but with my first CS I was driving after 4 weeks and after my second it was 9 weeks (crash section, v rough and bruised). Check with your insurer and doctor, and any paperwork the hospital may have given you on discharge. Did your surgeon not advise?
You need to be able to turn round to reverse and put your full force into an emergency stop. Remember - it's your baby's life at risk if you can't stop properly.
I had no infection or anything (ELCS), felt physically fine to drive at 3 weeks, got checked by GP at 4 weeks and started driving again then. I would say that tiredness was more of an issue than the wound.
My insurer was "when the doctor says you can".
Agree with checking with the insurer and being REALLY honest with yourself: if your child/niece/nephew/mum jumped out in front of the car, could you put your full force behind an emergency stop. Do you feel awake enough (lack of sleep and antibiotics/medication) to be aware enough?
Are you planning going out with the baby by yourself? If so, think about the logistics when you get to the other end? Getting pram and/or carseat in and out of the car (lifting baby in carseat - at 4 weeks post ELCS - was hell and too much I think...)
Be very careful not to overdo it any more - sounds like you need rest and healing. Honestly healing really does accelerate (I was back in the gym and pool at 8 weeks), but you really need to look after yourself during those early weeks...
i drove after 12 days! i felt fine though, wouldn't contemplate it if i was in pain!.....i remember at the time the hosp saying so long as i felt capable of doing an emergency stop i was good to drive and that the 6 week thing was out of date
The 6 week thing is urban myth. Speak to your insurance company. Recovery times are very individual, you might need longer than 6 weeks. I was driving 13 days after my last CS, 4 and a half weeks after my first. OP from What you are saying you need to wait. You must be totally pain free without painkillers, able to move fully and not be distracted by occasional twinges, leaking wounds and the possibility of the seat belt irritating the wound.
My GP said that you can drive when you think you are ready, he said the thing about 6 weeks before you are insured is nonsense because insurance companies will use the fact you have had surgery whether it is 3 weeks or 9 weeks (for example) and that people have to take personal responsibility. Just get the OK from the GP to make it easier if you do have an accident. No idea if he was talking rubbish of course, but he's usually OK, ask your GP what he thinks I suppose.
Pushing the pram might help, especially if it.s a heavy one you can lean on a little.
my insurance company also said it was up to me - I waited between 3 & 5 weeks (have had 4 sections & the major factor was how tired I was), waiting for 6 week check would''ve been pointless since I've never had one!
Check with your insurance company but I was driving at under three weeks. You will do an emergency stop if you need to anyway and bugger the wound. Someone suggested to me practicing the driving motions on the sofa.
The seat belt rubbing over the scar area was the most difficult thing for me.
If i go for a wee walk could i push the pram???
I was about 7 weeks with DD1 but about 5 days with DD2.
It depends on your recovery regardless of what your insurance company says. You know how you feel.
Could you go for a walk (v slowly!) instead? I know what it feels like to have that cabin fever!
If a child jumps out onto the road and you can slam on the brakes without hesitating (ow) then you'll probably be ok. The insurance company said it was up to me. I waited 6 weeks and I had no complications whatsoever. 11 days does sound too early.
You need to check with your insurer about e specific provision of the policy you actually hold.
Only 11 days after major abdominal surgery from which you gave already had scar complications does sound, I'm afraid, rather unwise.
I phoned my insurance co and they said whenever providing my GP had noted that she had checked me and was happy. 6 weeks first time and 2 weeks with no 2.
Good luck, driving saved my sanity at that stage!
My insurance wasn't interested at all... they just said it was up to me! So I think they do differ.
I remember someone saying on here if you could hop on each leg it's a good indication you are ready to drive as you can take your body weight on each leg.... no idea how true that is but thought I'd share !
Thanks for the advice will speak to midwife and contact insurance company
Message withdrawn at poster's request.
You need to speak to your GP and check with your insurance company. My insurance company just needed my GP to document in my notes that he was happy I could drive a car safely. I drove after 4 weeks after my first section and 2 weeks after 2nd and 3rd.
You need to check whether your insurer has a period for which they will not cover you. After that, it is a question of when you will be able to do an emergency stop without doing yourself an injury. Certainly not until your wound has knitted together and then a couple of weeks on top, I'd think (which is about 4 weeks from cs without complications, but will be longer for you).
To be honest, given that you have an infection you should be staying put and getting better.
When I had an emergency c section 18 mths back I asked about driving and was told its normally about 6 weeks but to contact my insurance company.
I rang them and they told me that they didn't have a clause to cover that so it was down to my GP/HV/Midwife's advice and if they say 6 weeks then I must wait 6 weeks.
So my advice would be to contact your insurance company and check with them. Xx
Your car insurance is invalid for 6 weeks after a c-section unless you have a doctors note stating you are safe to drive. Most doctors don't like to take the responsibility of issuing such a letter, so you'll probably need to wait to get the all clear at your 6 week check up.
Can you call your insurance co and ask them what their policy is? And check if your GP or HV has any advice on this too, just so you have some independent advice?
I drove again after about 20 days post section, and I was fine. TBH it isn't the driving that is a hassle, more lugging the car seat around and into the car.
I also had an infection and a couple of bleeds from my wound and the dr said I should wait until 6 weeks before driving. Be careful not to invalidate your insurance...
Speak to your GP. Mine was happy for me to drive after 4 weeks with dc4, because I had no pain and was pretty much back to normal.
With dc1, I was still in pain at that point, so had to wait longer.
If you could do an emergency stop without worrying about your scar hurting, then you're probably safe.
TBH, 11 days and an infection too, it sounds a bit early for you.
Don't forget to let your insurance company know too. IIRC, as long as your GP has put in your notes that you are ok to drive, it's not a problem.
I think 6 weeks is the minimum as you are still healing and don't have the tummy strength to slam on the breaks in an emergency if you had to.
That's what I was told when I had my section anyway. I didn't feel safe to drive till about then anyway.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.