No lochia after c-section

(8 Posts)
NewRowSees Wed 26-Dec-12 00:41:02

I only bled for a day after my second section (elective, but complicated). After my first I had a full 6 weeks of bleeding, most of it light, which I thought was pretty normal.

I can't find any references online to anyone having this little bleeding. Should I be concerned? Is it all going to gush out later? Or could it be causing an infection because my body hasn't expelled everything it ought to?

Help!

KristinaM Wed 26-Dec-12 00:43:32

I bled for several weeks aftre my section. Heavily for about a week I think, then for another 4-5 weeks. Sorry I don't remember exactly. It was much less than with the previous birth, which was a VD.

ripsishere Wed 26-Dec-12 00:50:06

I didn't either. My obstetrician told me she'd given me a good clearing out grin. Not sure if that's even possible TBH, but I was happy.

QTPie Wed 26-Dec-12 08:28:08

Hi

I bled for just a few days (light period) after my ELCS, then stopped. Then a couple of days later started bleeding again (clots plus fairly heavily bleeding). Got it checked out, but was told that it was probably that there had been a blockage (surgeon makes sure your cervix is open - so it can drain - but it probably got temporarily blocked by the clots). Then I bleed for 5 weeks... (Not too heavily though - mostly fairly light period).

So you may have finished bleeding (like previous poster) or you may restart bleeding again (like me).

duchesse Wed 26-Dec-12 08:43:44

I had only very light bleeding after mine with DD3 -less than a week of towels and I only needed maternity towels for 2 days- I was glad that clearly the surgeon had been thorough! I think that they are careful to remove everything after a CS.

However I did have a piece of retained placenta after DD2 (vaginal birth) which meant that bleeding stopped abruptly two days after her birth, and started up again a week later after I expelled a piece of placenta that was probably blocking my cervix (painful contractions too, ow). I think that is very unlikely to happen with a CS.

UterusUterusGhaLaLaLaLaLi Wed 26-Dec-12 08:51:00

It happens! Some women don't bleed at all. They are spoken of in hushed, reverential tones. grin

If you have an emcs you are more likely to bleed a lot/ haemorrhage. It depends often on the length of second stage.

Congratulations btw!

NewRowSees Wed 26-Dec-12 10:55:48

Ok thanks all, it sounds like there's a wide range of 'normal' when it comes to bleeding. I'd just convinced myself that I had some kind of blockage which would cause problems later.

I'll keep a look out for the bleeding restarting over the next few days / weeks, and try not to panic!

Thanks again.

MerryLindor Wed 26-Dec-12 11:01:10

I had emergency section and hardly bled at all. Was such a relief in comparison to first VB, which was awful and accompanied with severe afterbirth cramps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now