Still look pregnant after traumatic c-section - when will it go down?

(8 Posts)
Melody3boys Sun 23-Dec-12 15:47:54

Even though my tummy has never quite looked the same again, I have managed to get back to pre-preg weight after all three. It is possible but just give yourself time, there's no rush and it's important for you to be well nourished to enable your body to heal well, let alone look after your precious new baby x

Piemother Sun 23-Dec-12 00:18:25

C section recovery is bloody hard physically and emotionally.
I wish after dc1 I had taken a picture of my tummy to compare it to months/years later becauSe at the time I was so upset about it but it did get much, much better in time. Not at 4 weeks though there was still a difference from 1 week.
At 3 weeks there isn't much you can do except take good care of yourself. Slap moisturiser on like there's no tomorrow. Make sure you drink gallons of water because water retention will make it look worse. I found firming cream quite helpful and eventually ab exercises with the kettle bell were good.
Meanwhile tummy control pants helped me feel better in clothes but avoid jeans - leggings that come up high are much better for now and more flattering.
When you are further on Pilates can be Naze g for tummies

BluelightsAndSirens Sat 22-Dec-12 23:38:36

Is your stomach hard? My friend had an erect and she suffered after it and had an infection.

I've had 3 straight forward sections and with a mixture of breast feeding and light exercise went back to my normal weight quite quickly.

Hope all ends well and agree 4 weeks isn't very long, look after yourself.

soundevenfruity Sat 22-Dec-12 23:34:11

It might sound airy-fairy but I started looking better when I started feeling better about myself. You just need to be gentle with yourself, eat well and get enough daylight which might be a challenge this time of year.

FranTan Sat 22-Dec-12 23:27:13

Thank you for your replies. Reassuring to know I shouldn't expect miracles at this early stage. Guess I need to accept my previous flattish tummy is no more!
Fran x

Melody3boys Fri 21-Dec-12 23:18:55

Oooh sounds like you've had a nasty time. I've had three c-sections but all uncomplicated. Every time it takes a bit longer for my tummy to go back down and it never gets as small as it was pre that pregnancy. I think even with vaginal deliveries, the more kids you have the more the tummy muscles are stretched and out of shape. With all those complications you've had I think it's going to take a while. Everything inside needs to heal and the swelling needs to reduce before the outward appearance will get any better.
Congratulations on your new little one. Just try to rest and don't be too harsh on yourself.

yellowsheep Fri 21-Dec-12 23:17:28

Erm i dont want to panick you but my twins are 4 .... i still look pregnant some days, despite me weighing less than before conception.

I had First Dc straightforward birth ... tummy back in a couple of months c section buggered me up really, i was advised that as it is MAJOR abdominal surgery it would take at least 6 months to heal. give yourself time 4 weeks is nothing enjoy you new baby.

FranTan Fri 21-Dec-12 20:07:09

Hi All,

I'm 4 weeks post emergency c-section. Polyhydraminos during pregnancy, horrendous labour, emergency c-section, major haemorrhage, huge distension of abdomen with a pseudo-obstruction of the bowel following surgery has meant that recovery has not been easy. Perhaps unsurprisingly my stomach still looks about 5 months pregnant. I'm not expecting to return to normal overnight, I was just wondering when my stomach might become a little flatter? Last time I had a vaginal birth and stomach returning to normal was much quicker, especially as I breastfed, which unfortunately, I can't do this time.

Many thanks,
Fran

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now