section at 37 weeks..anyone?

(24 Posts)
tinkletinklestar Thu 20-Dec-12 01:00:44

Can anyone tell me if they had a section at 37 weeks?

was baby very small? any problems with baby?

im.after horror stories but most of all the good please?

VickyU Thu 20-Dec-12 01:30:01

Don't have any stories for you I'm afraid but I am scheduled to have a C section at 37 weeks (am 32 weeks at the mo) so would also be interested in any responses to this.

moreyear Thu 20-Dec-12 02:00:34

Yes - my second child was a planned csection at 37 weeks as her growth was tailing off. She was 7lb exactly - 2 lbs bigger than her brother born at 42 weeks after an emergency csection.

She was perfect, very healthy, measuring 10 on the scale 1 minute after birth. She was in a much, much better state than my son who was only 5lbs at birth and a collection of bones. Only after going two weeks over did the mw induce and when he was born he was tiny, with bones sticking out and skin hanging off him. My placenta had obviously failed and we were lucky he survived.

If there is a likelihood your placenta is going to fail they are better out than in.

Tallgiraffe Thu 20-Dec-12 02:08:17

Not 37w but am currently feeding super healthy DS who was anELCS at 38w. He was 8lb7 so not small and screamed like a banshee as soon as he was born grin

NanoNinja Thu 20-Dec-12 14:44:11

38w here, although docs said they thought he looked younger (dunno how they could tell...). Minor probs - hypoglycaemia and low body temperature. Also had to have fluid removed from lungs - but think this is normal for a section? Birth weight slightly below average at 3 kg. All good now (9 weeks) though...

EyeoftheStorm Thu 20-Dec-12 14:52:35

36+5 waters went but no dilation so had c-section. DD1 was about 3 kgs (about same as DS1 born at 39ish).

Birth absolutely fine but she was a bit grunty and needed a bit of CPAP (help with oxygen) for a day. She spent a few days in SCUBU but no one worried about her.

She's 6 now and absolutely fine. In fact I forget sometimes what happened it was so tiny in the scheme of things.

DS2 who was born at 30 weeks on the other hand ... wink

Hope all goes well for you.

36+5 weeks CS here. Baby was 6lbs, breastfed beautifully and my experience was brilliant overall. Good luck!

Had DS at 37 weeks by EMCS for foetal distress. He was absolutely fine, 6lb 10.5oz (slightly heavier than full term DD). I had undetected partial placenta praevia and he was stuck face up with me at 9cm when his heart rate plummeted. I was a bit anaemic but ok.

Now sat in hospital waiting for a tooth removal/re-implant. He's almost 16 and 6ft tall smile

nananaps Thu 20-Dec-12 15:02:15

Had ds via EMCS at 37 weeks becasue of pre eclampsia and growth retardation.
He weighed 5Lbs 4oz and was perfect, no ill effects at all other than feeding every 1.5 hours day and night to catch up on his weight!

It was the best decision for him and for me that could have been made.
No regrets at all.

LaVitaBellissima Thu 20-Dec-12 15:09:26

I was scheduled to have a section at 36 weeks (identical twins) but went into early natural labour at 34 &3 both babies were fine smallest was 4lb9oz and we were out after 5 nights. It was a great experience.

You will be fine!

bonzo77 Thu 20-Dec-12 15:20:02

Very variable, depends on why you are having baby early, and how accurate your dates are. I had DS2 at 35+5, so 9 days off 37 weeks asy placenta had stopped working. He was 5lb3 and a but skinny. Fluid on lungs / respiratory distress (common with a CS, even at term). He needed some help feeding (fed by drip and by ngt at first) but was discharged after a week and no problems since. Though he is only 2 weeks now!

Rooobs Thu 20-Dec-12 15:46:56

CS at 35 weeks as waters went. 5lb 5, minor problems with maintaining body temp and blood sugars for first 24 hours, but it just meant she was kept on a heated mat and had some formula. Absolutely fine after that and discharged on day 3.

Good luck!

eatyourveg Thu 20-Dec-12 15:52:25

emcs at 33 wks ( I had pre-eclampsia) ds1 born 3.5lbs with IUGR, he screamed his head off (tho it sounded more like a cat) so didn't even go to scbu! We were put on a ward that was a half way house between scbu and the normal post natal one where the babies are kept in a side room together and we both stayed in hospital for a month by which time he'd made it up to 4lbs 12oz. He was kept under a heater and tube fed for 3 and a half weeks with ebm being too weak to latch on. By 6 months he was 13lbs 15 oz

When we came home they told us to keep the house at a constant temp of 25C day and night and not to take him out for a bit. They told me to keep him wrapped in a blanket in swaddling style. I first took him out for his 6 week check and then one day when he was about 2.5 months the HV rang to say it was a lovely spring day and if I wrapped him up well enough, I could take him for a walk to the park.

No problems at all except finding clothes small enough. MIL knitted him a hat and used her fist as a pattern.

He's now a strapping 18 yr old

Good luck and enjoy your little one - they grow all too quickly

PopEsMummy Fri 21-Dec-12 14:47:39

EMCS at 37 weeks with DD1 as she was breech. 5lb7oz, no problems grin

KindleMum Fri 21-Dec-12 14:54:13

one at 35, one at 38, both perfect! No problems whatsoever.

Madcaplady Fri 21-Dec-12 14:56:56

emcs at 37 weeks exactly after waters went at 36+5. Had polyhydramnios & labour failed to progress.
DS born at 3.08am, scbu on standby.... He weighed in at 7lb 15oz & had a score of 9 at 1 min so they decided he was ok grin

DD born by planned section at 37+4 because of polyhydramnios again (I measured 48cm at 36 weeks because of all the fluid!) weighed 7lb 10 1/2oz

sorry, no nightmares here smile good luck

elizaregina Fri 21-Dec-12 15:18:34

38 weeks - perfect 7lbs 4 - came out screaming no lung issues or mucus in them etc...also know of a 34 week - also fine.

MordionAgenos Fri 21-Dec-12 15:21:10

All mine were CSs at 37 weeks. All fine - perfect, actually. grin

manitz Fri 21-Dec-12 15:23:16

hi elective section at 38 weeks - all fine but very vernixy. em cs (waters went no dilation) at 36 weeks and same again with no 4 at 35 weeks. He spent 8 days in nicu as he couldn't breathe alone despite steroids when i had a show at 32w. last two were good weights at 6lb and 6lb6 respectively. no4 is now v healthy 15month old.

tinkletinklestar Sat 22-Dec-12 22:59:17

Thank you for all the replies. Glad to hear that the majority are fine.

have my section date booked for 38 weeks, my consultant is an awful heartless so and so!!

Chubfuddler Sat 22-Dec-12 23:03:40

ELCS 39 weeks - 6lb 10. She wasn't growing on the inside. At eighteenobths she is HUGE.

rainrainandmorerain Sat 22-Dec-12 23:14:27

elcs at 37+5 as my waters went at 37+4 (no contractions). Elcs had been planned for 39 weeks as standard, but hey ho! DC was 6lb 8oz, apgar of 9 and 10, no problems and was ebf for a year and a half.

rainrainandmorerain Sat 22-Dec-12 23:15:06

(obvs he had solid food after 6 months! Just mean he was bf'd for a year and a half. IYSWIM)

Smallgreenone Sun 23-Dec-12 19:11:53

36+6 emcs 7lb6oz and perfect no problems breastfeeding no problems at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now