What did you wear in hospital after the baby was born? I need links please - people have me v worried about this:-(

(103 Posts)
Pinkflipflop Sun 16-Dec-12 18:50:56

I can't find black maternity pyjamas! A friend who gave birth said you basically throw out your pyjamas after you wear them as I will be leaking blood so badly. This really makes me feel uncomfortable: number 1, I can't really afford to buy 5/6 pairs of pyjamas to just bin after 1 wear and number 2, will I really leak blood everywhere I go? Really? Do maternity pads not stop this?

Anyone who has given birth recently, if you could tell or show me what you wore immediately afterwards I would be really grateful!

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Mon 17-Dec-12 09:56:26

I got normal dark plum coloured jarmies from asda, didn't need to chuck them out but bared it in mind when I bought them

cantreachmytoes Mon 17-Dec-12 10:04:48

I bled a lot, but didn't leak, so don't worry. Also, as long as blood isn't heated AT ALL it can be removed with no stain. Best is to not let it dry, just soak in COLD water and use Vanish or a special blood remover (or hydrogen peroxide of a v low strength 3% or something) and get as much out as possible, again using cold water, before washing on a cold wash (wool, but double check first). Once it's gone, it can be washed as normal.

As soon as it's heated the enzymes react and it becomes a stain.

FergusSingsTheBlues Mon 17-Dec-12 10:13:46

I hope this makes you feel better, OP, but i actually managed to wear a short sundress. No bra, felt like a bit of a toddler waddling around with nappy clad arse but it was the single most restorative thing I could have done after a 37 hour labour. I felt human again and it really lifted my spirits although now i cant believe i bothered.

If i can do that..,think it shows that dignity doesnt have to go out the window, you dont need to feel horrible, black or dark red (sorry) pyjamas are easily wearable and no, you shouldnt have to chuck anything dark out.

notcitrus Mon 17-Dec-12 10:37:36

If you're attached to an epidural or catheter still, then you won't be able to get pants and pads in place so there may be blood everywhere - they should have absorbent pads under you to take the worst of it. Just hide under a sheet for that bit, and don't worry about clothes. Then after that, pads and pants should be ok. But it's so hot on postnatal wards you may not want any clothes, except when wandering to the loo. An extra large T shirt would suffice.

nickelbabylyinginamanger Mon 17-Dec-12 10:47:01

yy - notcitrus has a point.

I had a catheter for the first 24 hours, and they gave me those inco sheets for under my bum.
It wasn't too bad, though

CashewNuts Mon 17-Dec-12 11:04:38

I find a good pad on a more fitted knicker like the sloggi ck types keeps all in place. Or you could get those thin stretchy shorts from the underwear dept to wear on top of knickers as the pad will move if directly on the shorts. Primark has them in black just to hold on for the first heavy stage. That way you can wear a nightie if you are hot. Change regularly and you'll be fine.

rainrainandmorerain Mon 17-Dec-12 12:16:12

good point - as I had a catheter in for 12 hours or so, I obvs couldn't have any pants or trousers on - was just laying on a large absorbent mat. i think a sanitary/maternity towel was propped between my legs although it was a bit academic. I'm wondering what the heck I had on now. Maybe a cotton nightie with vest straps? I cannot wear ordinary nighties as a grown woman, I just find something hideously little girlie/wee willie winkie about them.

FergusSingsTheBlues Mon 17-Dec-12 13:18:16

I used the biggest highest granny pants i could get my hands on (m&s), but bought them only one size up from pre preg i had no accidents at all but i dont think i had a particularly light lochea. Tighter the better as long as they hold it all in.

FergusSingsTheBlues Mon 17-Dec-12 13:19:09

Thanks for the warning, rain, im about to have a c se tion, had no idea you couldnt weat knicks with a catheter.

MrsHoarder Mon 17-Dec-12 13:20:51

Fergus: I wore them with a catheter. Trousers are definitely out though. Think it depends on the hospital and the state you're in.

I wore a pair of black jogging/pajama bottoms (very elastic waist) and a long night-dress to cover me bum. And a snuggly cardigan.

Midwives gave me these HUGE pads that actually stuck to your skin at my belly button and back, so I didn't have to wear knickers. When I got home, I wore large black cotton pants with maternity pads. Very comfy.

KittieCat Mon 17-Dec-12 13:25:32

I used maternity pads and disposable pants. Nice.

Apart from that dark pjs and a massive, "I've just had a baby" grin!!

Good luck and don't be worrying.

Also - bought my after labour clothes from Asda (including knickers) for dirt cheap so I could just chuck them out if I didn't feel like washing the stains out.

jinglebellyalltheway Mon 17-Dec-12 16:54:44

of course you can wear underwear and clothes with catheters! some people have them in long term and don't go to the shops in night gowns & comando confused

Chubfuddler Mon 17-Dec-12 17:21:34

I wore pants with a catheter. Not a problem at all.

OperaGirl Mon 17-Dec-12 17:28:08

Don't panic OP, I recently had DD and yes you do bleed a fair bit, but nothing regularly changing your pads can't handle. I took on 2 pairs of maternity PJ's so if one got messed my DH could take it home to wash. Your friend should realise stories/conversations like this aren't helpful for someone who's about to have a baby.

rainrainandmorerain Mon 17-Dec-12 19:05:49

Yeah, jingles - but you aren't going down the shops straight after childbirth with a catheter in, are you. Of course people wear them long term (like my dad...) - but (a) long term wearers are not usually coping with an immediate post birth amount of lochia at the same time, and (b) the more 'encumbrance' you have around a catheter, the more likely it is to catch and pull.

There are forums out there for longterm catheter wearers swapping tips about everything from what tape to use to attach it to their leg, what underwear is easiest to combine, what lubricants are safe to use to avoid chronic irritation of the urethra. And so on. long term use isn't a walk in the park - and isn't the situation the vast majority of women find themselves in after childbirth.

If you are desperate to wear knickers with a catheter, you can. If you have it in for 12 hours, most of which you spend in bed under sheets bfing a baby with your spinal wearing off, you might see it as adding unnecessary faff.

Up to the individual, I guess.

confuddledDOTcom Mon 17-Dec-12 19:18:54

In the initial few days I do the two hospital gowns trick (never been quickly out of hospital) and wear disposable maternity pants (I prefer the hospital ones) with two towels. I wore the disposables over a catheter (longer than most people because of my PGP and having a GA so no pain relief) but wouldn't bother with anything else.

When you're past the initial few days when it's all gushing, cheap granny pants are best. I didn't bother chucking them, although some still have some stains in them, but who's going to notice and who cares when you've just had a baby?

FergusSingsTheBlues Mon 17-Dec-12 19:20:11

Id still rather have knickers on just to control the deluge lol

jinglebellyalltheway Mon 17-Dec-12 19:21:12

hmm rain, I didn't say people with short term catheters HAD to wear pants in bed, just, like, that y'can if you want to. I did! So those who haven't had one before weren't misinformed!

I'm not in the slightest way bothered that you chose not to!

I still have the lovely pyjamas I bought to wear in hospital when DD1 was born and she's 11. The hospital gave me some lovely (not) stretchy disposable pants which were great and could be easily washed and worn again, those and maternity pads - no leakage. I wore my PJ's and a nice dressing gown and felt quite glam.

Chesterado Mon 17-Dec-12 19:28:50

Pre birth chuck a load of comfy but old pants, bottoms and towels in the washing machine with a navy/grey/black machine dye. That way any marks don't show as much and it's cheaper than buying new!

AndMiffyWentToSleep Mon 17-Dec-12 19:35:51

I just wore hospital gown - saved worrying about washing! Never would've thought I'd've wanted to, if you'd asked me before, though.

rainrainandmorerain Mon 17-Dec-12 20:53:44

jingle - I didn't choose not to wear pants with a catheter. It wasn't mentioned as an option either way. I was simply given a certain set up by the mws who dealt with me.

They never asked if i wanted underwear - just got on with the absorbent pad, left me to it. It wasn't debated, wasn't part of pre-op info - what can i say.

If this still bothers you, pm me and I will give you the name of the hospital so you can take it up with them. No point getting heated and rolly eyes with me, it really does nothing.

jinglebellyalltheway Mon 17-Dec-12 20:59:45

oh I don't care what you did, there are first time mums on here who IMO you did mislead a bit which is why I posted, it was for their benefit not yours so I have no interest in PMing you! If you'd wanted to/been able to ask to wear pants I doubt you'd have been told "impossible", but you didn't from what you've posted, you just went with the flow which is fine, nothing wrong with that! but if other women WANT to wear pants with a catheter they know they can - a catheter doesn't prevent it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now