Did you have a midwife with you the whole time you were pushing?

(26 Posts)
Eatingdoughnuts Mon 10-Dec-12 21:41:35

We are considering trying to TTC #4 and DH and I were talking today about my birth with DC3. I have quite quick labours and a couple of hours after arriving at the hospital I said I needed to push. The midwife said 'push away', and basically just carried on bustling around, doing paperwork and flitting in and out of the room. She only really took notice when I said the baby's head was coming out. I think I was probably pushing for around half an hour or so, on my knees leaning over the back of the bed.

There is a fairly large age gap between DC2 and DC3, and I was wondering if this is the way they do things now? Or perhaps she thought I wasn't ready to push so just humoured me a bit? Anyone else had similar?

Bibblebobbleparsnip Tue 11-Dec-12 22:33:01

I did have a MW for my first (5 hrs in hospital) but DC2 was a surprise home birth so did that one alone (1hr 50 mins) and had to be rushed to hospital as DS got dropped on his head due to the speed he came out blush DC3 was a planned home birth but only 35 mins (or 23 if you go by the official papers) so MW didn't make it then either. DH did catch her though... MW appeared v.out of breath and apologetic about 5 mins later and cut the cord. Won't be having a DC4 methinks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now