How to make a CS more natural

(16 Posts)
StarOfLightMcKings3 Thu 13-Dec-12 11:29:06

I thought a natural c/s also required the mother to be contracting!?

bumpology Thu 13-Dec-12 09:17:33

Sorry, should have said Queen Charlotte's

bumpology Thu 13-Dec-12 09:16:02

A natural CS is a technique pioneered at Queen Cgarlitte's hospital in London. I don't think anywhere else offers it at the moment, or at least they don't call it that, but you can request pretty much all of the elements and your hospital will probably support you (in fact the recent NICE guidelines for planned c-sections will back you up). Essentially, it involves trying to make mum as relaxed as possible: you can bring an iPod or Cd to play, request delayed cord clamping, and most importantly, immediate skin-to-skin. The queen Charlotte procedure also involves taking the baby's body out slowly, though I'm not sure there's any evidence that this makes any difference - it's supposed to squeeze some of the fluid from baby's lungs.
I had a c-section at kings in London 3 months ago, requested these things, and it was a really lovely experience. Good luck!

Ozziegirly Thu 13-Dec-12 05:47:57

The hospital where I had DS2 on Monday supports "natural" c-secs as far as possible. He was an Elcs. The drape was lowered while he was born and he was delivered onto my chest after a quick wipe and remained there while the obs finished the op, baby looking around and nuzzling me and being stroked by DH.

Then in recovery he was encouraged to breastfeed, and did so very well (which I wept about as DS1 never fed from me due to various blood sugar issues).

It was a brilliant experience and I am totally bonded with my second boy, who is currently snoozing on my lap.

To be honest though, my DS1 was whipped away as I had an emcs and never breastfed despite trying everything but I still bonded with him from the first moment I laid eyes on him and our bond is incredibly strong 2 years later and I barely think about how he came into the world.

I am currently feeling like a very lucky woman.

Pourquoimoi Mon 10-Dec-12 23:40:53

We had the radio on in the background and by chance DH and my first dance song from our wedding played just as DS2 was delivered smile

I found I had to be insistent on not letting them weigh baby etc before I was ready to be involved. After a horrible experience with DS1 and CS under general then them dressing him and even naming his cot before I came round from the GA, I was determined that DS2s birth would be different. It was absolutely lovely and we had skin to skin pretty quickly.

Not a choice I would ever make (CS rather than vaginal) but it can be a lovely experience. My first sight of DS2 was his swollen bits covered in meconium though grin!

StarOfLightMcKings3 Mon 10-Dec-12 23:30:41

swab your nethers and rub it in your newborns face!

xmasevebundle Mon 10-Dec-12 22:55:08

I am having section next monday, i guess mine is natural too?

They will lower the screen so i can see him being born, get him 'clean' ( a quick wipe down) and straight to me for skin to skin contact. Then after im stitched up and ready to go back they will weigh him and then bring him back.

They did ask if i wanted music to be played? I said no, i want to hear what was going on and hear DS scream/cry for the first time(i am thinking now i sound crazy grin )

SirBoobAlot Sat 08-Dec-12 11:19:41

I'd see if you can speak to the staff that would be involved with a C Section to arrange it. You can ask them to lower the screen, for immediate skin to skin contact, for delayed cord clamping, and some places will tilt the table slightly / arrange for a video screen so you can see your baby being born. It all comes down to the hospital though.

Best wishes, here's hoping you pop before 40 weeks!!

RarelyUnreasonable Sat 08-Dec-12 11:11:15

Oh, and again very little time between birth and holding him. He went to DH for first cuddles as there wasn't room on my chest cos of the screen, but we had skin to skin in recovery minutes later and he fed immediately.

RarelyUnreasonable Sat 08-Dec-12 11:08:40

I wanted a natural c-section and wrote a birth plan reflecting this. Community mw said it wouldn't be a problem, but when I arrived at hospital, I was told no surgeons there did them. In the end it was a very straightforward affair and dc was out in 5 mins w an apgar of 9, then 10, hale and hearty.. That was all I really cared about, but am a bit miffed I spent so much time researching it when it was never an option!

The Leigh East book 'caesarean birth - a positive approach to preparation and recovery' has lots of natural cs info.

crunchingautumnleaves Sat 08-Dec-12 11:05:24

Sorry not had one but this is a useful article that describes more of the process: natural c sections. If you're facing any doubts or resistance from the obstetricians you are dealing with it may be worth trying to contact the one in the article to see of he has any information he would share to inform them that may help change their mind. Also, if you end up having an ELCS because you've gone past your EDD, are there other hospitals reasonably near by that have obstetricians willing to perform a natural c section if you can't get anyone at your local hospital to agree?

BlueberryHill Sat 08-Dec-12 11:04:36

No idea what a natural CS is, I've had two CSs, breach birth followed by twins. It is nerve racking, you are in a theatre with a surgical and anaesthetic team and in my case a paed consultant but they are in there to make sure that your baby and you are safe. Both times, in different hospitals the teams were great, kept me informed and were really lovely.

Good luck, can you do a visit before hand and they can show you around and explain what happens.

chocolateicecream Sat 08-Dec-12 10:53:34

Hi

have you watched this?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5RIcaK98Yg

Best wishes for a wonderful birth x.

Dragonboobs Fri 07-Dec-12 10:48:05

Oh and actual time from birth to holding was about a minute I guess.

Dragonboobs Fri 07-Dec-12 10:47:21

Hi I'm no expert but did have a c section in June so can maybe help.

I haven't heard of a natural section as such but I told the midwife (she was in theatre the whole time)I wanted skin to skin straight away and that's what I got. As soon as he was born we were shown his face and privates! And then midwife quickly wiped him as he was so covered in gunk, he then went straight onto my chest and started nuzzling straight away it was amazing. I then had some complications so he had to go into the recovery room with DH but as soon as I was off the table he was back on my chest.

I also had a fantastic midwife that first night, got into the ward about 8pm. She undressed DS Everytime he wanted to feed to make sure we had skin to skin. And he fed a lot!

I hope that helps - I'm very happy with how it went and don't feel I missed out or that DS has suffered in anyway because of it. Good luck.

redwellybluewelly Fri 07-Dec-12 10:04:01

I will have to have a CS for the arrival of this baby. This is because of the risks to allowing me to go overdue are too high and I am extremely unlikely to labour before 40 weeks. Three independent obstetricians have all given the exact opinion.

I'm fecking petrified. I don't want induction - the Dr's had also all said if my body isn't ready for labour then chances are there will be intervention which will probably lead to a CS anyway. I am on paper the perfect candidate for natural water birth in a hospital and the Drs all agree if I go into labour naturally then I can have a waterbirth (or at least an active birth) with monitoring.

but I have about a 1% chance of labour before EDD.

When I posted before I was told about natural CS - has anyone had one? What did it involve? Did you have to bully the surgeon or were they happy to have the challenge? How long was it from birth to holding baby skin to skin?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now