ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.
help me decide vbac vs elcs post loooong first labour and em cs(31 Posts)
I'm in 3rd trimester and struggling with decision about vbac vs section. I've read all evidence talked to professionals and yes i know that a mumsnet poll isn"t scientific but i guess i probably need hand holding more than anything..
Ds will be few months under 2 when this baby is due. His birth was horrid. waters broke contractions stopped when i got to hospital. Induced next morning nothing happened with prostin other than ds's heart rate plummeting. Syntocin started next morning after that. Epidural took ages to come then didn't work when it did. Back to back labour. uterus over reacted. Took while to dilate but went from 4 to 8 quickly then took 8 hrs to get to 9cm spent 4 hrs at 9cm then em section.
Thought of recovery from section with toddler to care for doesn't fill me with excitement and if i could have normal uncomplicated vaginal delivery would be best. My quoted chances of success of vbac are around 60% but success includes forceps or ventouse. I would never consent to induction again so if did vbac would include a cs date if go over. I guess i'm just not convinced my chances of success are high enough and thought of labouring and ending up with emcs or complications fills me with dread as does risk of being left like i was last time when clearly it wasn't happening. I just keep clinging to that thought of an uncomplicated vb and being up and about faster .
Just can't decide...not that i expect you to tell me what to do. Just interested in thoughts!
hi silver. sorry your appointment didn't go well. I would ask to see the vbac midwife..usually is one. speak to supervisor of midwives if you run into problems. I was very pro cs until about your stage when the reality of recovering from cs with toddler hit home. yes am now almost 4 weeks on. at this point last time I couldn't drive...although I did start at 4 weeks I regretted it because lugging pram etc out of car put extra strain on scar and caused pain. whilst my undercarriage isn't perfect yet it has definitely been a much quicker recovery than last time and I've been able to lift both dcs at same time when emergencies or tantrums required. we're planning another and I'll do vbac again (despite what I said in labour ). can't be this unlucky with bad labours 3 times in a row surely!
good luck with your decision and birth whatever you decide.
Thanks mmmsleep I'm really pleased you reposted and got the (sort of) birth you wanted.
I had my consultant apt today at 24 weeks re: vbac and they couldn't access my notes so feel non the wiser and that threads like this are more informative than supposed specialist consultants.
Was your forcep recovery really considerably better than you'd feared?
thought I should update this thread for anyone reading in future trying to make same decision. ..
I had vbac in the end. 7hrs of v v painful labour then baby distressed so tried ventouse which failed so onto forceps which had been my worst nightmare.
on balance I'm glad I had vbac. healing even with v long episiotomy has beenmuch quicker than post section and fact I can drive and pick up screaming toddler mid tantrum with dd in sling has been v useful. couldn't sit for 2 weeks or walk v far but it has been easier generally than post cs.
hope that helps others deciding
How would i feel...gutted. After last time can't face that again. The fact successful vbac includes forceps and severe tears as acceptable outcomes scares me. I just keep getting tempted by that quick vb without bad tears or infections. I expect an episiotomy or slight tear as pretty much seems the norm for vb esp as technically my perineum hasn't been prestretched by ds. Just my pelvic floor that got trashed last time.
Another positive vbac story, but with a caution.
My first was a horrendous 35 hour marathon, dilated but he wouldn't come out. Failed forceps, ventouse and then emergency c-section. I went into shock, horrible.
DS2 again long labour, but brilliant Irish midwife and he was definitely coming out the right way. When he was in the womb he was always kicking me so I called him Buster.
I stopped dilating at about 4cm so had an epidural. Midwife thought the unresolved stress of the first labour probably affected me. And I was very positive about a Vbac, never considered a c-section. My point is that the stress of first labour can have a real effect on your second labour.
I loved that I had a successful vaginal birth, but childbirth is not a competition. It's humbling to know that I or either of my 2 boys might not have made it 100 years ago without medical competition. Both of my grandmothers nearly died in childbirth. Do what is right for you,
My EMCS was a very positive experience despite being an emergency, I am too much of a what if person so for me the security of an ELCS is the only way to go, and would be in your case. That is just my opinion though.
I bottled out of a VBAC late in the day. I realised that I just couldnt risk another long, traumatic labour ending in emergency section. It was the right decision for me. My elective section was serene and lovely, I recovered well and I am glad I did it.
I guess you have to really ask yourself how you feel about a potentially 'not perfect' labour and birth if you go for VBAC. If you only really want a great birth experience, how will you feel if you dont get it, iyswim?
Good luck .
Starting to err on side of vbac but so scared of ending up with forceps and bad tears which would be just my luck. Last time was told at section that due to type of cord insertion into placenta they were glad they did section as cord would have snapped for vb...cue baby and mum haemorrhage. Detailed scans this time say no repeat but those what ifs are terrifying aren't they. Althouhh i know that is the same for any birth. Decisions decisons...
Im having an ELCS (2 weeks today!) after a long labour failed induction and eventual EMCS with substantial blood loss. Im hoping this time the
illusion feeling of control, the lack of labour and the general civilisation (my perception thereof) of the event should make for a better experience, only you can decide though
It's late for me & i was up too early so not going to attempt proper reply just now.
I had a very successful vbac (HBAC actually) with DD after an emcs with DS2.
However there are pros and cons to everything.
Try and sleep well tonight
Thanks chronicle and oscar. Wish i had a crystal ball!! Oscar sorry to hear your recovery hasn't been good...hope things improve for you quickly. Congrats to you both on your new arrivals and well done!
Agonised over this choice recently and eventually went for ELCS as the devil I knew. Have a number of friends who have needed post birth surgical repair which I didn't fancy. Got good feedback from a trusted and non-involved consultant that multiple CS's were v low risk these days too if I wanted a 3rd child. I did feel like I was copping out so it was a v difficult decision and there was always the question of what if it was quick and easy the second time around...
In short, my DC2 had other ideas and came early so I had a vbac in the end as things moved too quickly and the theatre was in use for EMCS's. it all went well and I was v chuffed at the time, esp to be discharged the next day but I am finding the recovery difficult and posted about it here today under 'postnatal recovery'. For me at the moment, I might as well have had a CS.
I had an ELCS two weeks ago after a traumatic first birth that ended in EMCS. It was a completely different experience, much less stressful and physically much less of an ordeal than a failed labour and EMCS. I am recovering quite fast but we are paying my younger sister to stay with us for a few weeks to help with my two year old. I can't pick him up and would struggle to care for both right now as newborn is breastfeeding every two hours or so. No matter which option you choose you can't foresee how you'll be afterwards so if you can organise help in advance do! Good luck.
You're welcome. Hope you get the labour and birth that is right for you x
Thanks bluesky and congratulations on your pregnancy!
Hello OP, I have a positive VBAC story.
After DS1 being a long, painful, drawn out labour and EMCS and alltogether a pretty awful experience . . . I had the option of booking in for an elective CS with DS2 and had a review date with the consultant in the diary a couple of days overdue.
But my gorgeous boy arrived early and with a very quick and relatively ok delivery. So, so different from my first experience and was so made up holding my newborn in my arms (didn't get to do this with DS1).
My birth notes stated that if I wasn't progressing after x amount of hours I was to be taken to theatre for CS.
I will go for a VBAC again with DC3 (15 weeks pregnant), but will be sure that MW knows about past experiences and have back up plan just in case.
(sorry if that's a bit waffly - I'm exhausted!)
Best of luck OP, I guess at the end of the day it is what you feel comfortable and confident doing.
And thank you for your positive story la trucha
Hi thanks for comments. Yes i have seen the vbac midwife. She was very good. Still my choice though. Toying with the idea of cs date booked for 41 weeks and vbac if i labour before that.
i am in exactly the same position - looong first labour, but I dilated no more than 4cm, ending in EMCS after three days of labour. I have opted for an ELCS at 39+4. In my plan, I have said if I go into labour spontaneously, I am happy to have a go at a VBAC, without continual monitoring and with the possibility of labouring in water if all is going well. I don't want to go overdue and spend the first week of jan fretting about labour, plusmy OH doesn't get any paternity leave (complicated!), so it's much easier for us all round if I have baby on 27th, as planned. mentally, I feel more prepared and relaxed having arranged an ELCS, while knowing that I have the option of cancelling/trying for a VBAC if I want to. I'm in Worcestershire and we have a specialist VBAC midwife who I saw and was immensely helpful. Anyone like that where you are?
It's a very personal decision, and I don't think there is a right answer. I thought you might like a positive VBAC story, though.
DD was born by EMCS. She was transverse and I was very bruised as she was difficult to get out. It took me a long time to recover in every way. Even so, I was very difficult to persuade to a vbac until I was quite late on with DS.
I wouldn't do it any other way now. I would almost have another baby just to have another vaginal delivery! In the end I suddenly decided to go for it. DS was born with all the monitoring etc, which I didn't actually mind at all, with no intervention and not even a tear. I was very fortunate there was no one else labouring that night and I had great support. The next day I came home practially dancing, did seven loads of washing and posted pictures of the new baby to everyone I knew. So different from the terrible state I was in after DD.
Maybe if you went for it but came to terms that you could OPT for a c-section at any time in the labour you would feel more in control? I am no expert but there are a lot of good threads on vbac on here if you want to have a search.
Well that was a fun night's sleep
Just wish i could stop my brain from thinking about it and get some sleep. Thank you for replies so far. Cds i've used are natal hypnotherapy. Need to see if i can rip them to mp3 so can listen with earphones as dh would not be impressed if i woke him now to play them on stereo in bedroom to help me sleep!
I am in similar situation. 44-hr labor with DS1. I was a week overdue, waters broke at home, went to hospital where i was induced and then pumped full of drugs, non-stop contractions from drugs so needed epidural. Never dilated more than a couple of cm. my doctor had warned me a week earlier that i would likely need cs. I ignored her & in the end she was right. Maybe. Still think the drugs messed me up no end.
DS will be 3.5 if my current pregnancy goes well... I am scared of vbac, horrified by prospect of another marathon medical session, but just don't want to be stuck in bed recovering with another DC at home. Yuck all around.
Consider ing switching hospitals/doctors because last time was so rough. Very least will talk with a doula, i think...
Would love to know name of you vbac hypno cd....
your 1st sounds very much like mine. it was a real ordeal ending in emcs. i recovered well although my milk took some time to 'come in'. Might be a consideration if you plan to bf.
my 2d and 3rd were a planned cs, which turned into emcs and a planned cs (no option of vbac). it's much less stressful. you go in fully prepared and organised. no surprises or waiting. However the cs itself and recovery after have been progressively more difficult and longer. it is difficult to care for your older dcs and newborn whilst recovering. i certainly didn't get a good nights sleep before and the surgery really took it out of me. Also you might want to consider whether you will want more dcs as cs become more risky the more you have. i was advised to make my 3rd my last.
sorry if i've rambled. i think given the choice i'd have chosen a vbac but that's me. good luck whatever you choose.
hi. i had long, augmented labour with DS1 ending in cs as well.
i also really wanted a VBAC with a 2 1/2 year old around. i used the natal hypnotherapy pg relaxation and VBAC prep cds. i also read the natal hypnotherapy book and Ina May Gaskin's which are both full of positive stuff.
i also hated not being in control the first time. i wasn't panicked, but not happy Iyswim. the reading and cds really helped with relaxation.
DS2 was born in about 14 hours from first contractions. i only spent a couple of hours at the hospital! forceps were used when his heart rate was causing worry, i still felt recovery was 100% easier and i was home that day to see DS1. i ended up just using the hypnotherapy techniques to cope which i was a bit about, partly due to late arrival at hospital though so no time for drugs.
it was the right decision for me, but it's so hard as you just can't predict anything!
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.