MW unable to reach cervix to do sweep at 40+3...positive stories of things changing and spontaneous natural labour occur in please!!

(14 Posts)
DangerMousey Tue 04-Dec-12 21:24:05

Just that really. At my 40+3 appointment today the MW attempted to do a sweep but she said my cervix hadn't fully moved down yet. So she couldn't reach.

Feel a bit depressed cos I feel like this means my water birth in the MLU is slipping out of my reach. They want to induce me at 40+12 in the horrible local hospital so I am now on a bit of a countdown till Thursday 13th Dec.

Please tell me reassuring stories that things can go from "nowhere near ready" to in full blown natural labour in a week??

I have also been told I have a big baby so I am doubt worried about being induced an all the intervention that might entail, but also not liking the idea of going further over than 40+12 with this baby just getting bigger and bigger and bigger :-/

Please reassure me ladies! It's my first child, in case you can't tell...

MyLastDuchess Tue 04-Dec-12 21:36:21

Remember, the closer you get to 42 weeks, the MORE likely you are to go into labour spontaneously. A lot of people act as if your baby being more than a few days late means that it won't happen on its own, but of course that's not the case.

They don't do sweeps that early where I live but with both of my babies I went from nothing (no show, no mucus plug loss etc) to full-blown labour within a few hours. One at 41 weeks and the other at 41+2.

Also in my experience the size of the baby is not related to the difficulty of the labour (midwife said she believed the same). So try not to worry about that part too much smile

MyLastDuchess Tue 04-Dec-12 21:39:20

Also, in my experience they really don't know that much about the baby's size before it's born. They can make an educated guess but it often seems to be wrong!

Flisspaps Tue 04-Dec-12 21:41:50

Also remember they can 'want' to induce all they like. It's your call. Normal pregnancy can go up to 42w, lots of women go beyond that.

A big baby as a stand alone 'issue' isn't a reason to induce either.

FeelingGreen Tue 04-Dec-12 21:44:07

at 40+3 I had a midwife appointment and refused a sweep as I 'wasn't ready' (long story but something really traumatic had just happened to someone close). the (unsympathetic) midwife had a real go at me and said there was no way I would have a natural labour if I didn't have a sweep as I was showing no signs of being ready, and went on and on about the horrors of induction in a bid to scare me into submission....
12 hours later I went into labour naturally and 18 or so hours after that I was cuddling DS grin

Eglantyne Tue 04-Dec-12 21:49:27

Hi, my mw couldn't do a sweep when I was 41+4 but the failed sweep seemed to trigger something anyway! I started getting niggles that afternoon, which continued until I went into proper labour 2 days later. Proper labour was only 5 hours. I had a natural delivery with no pain relief, in ML unit and used the pool. Ds was 10lb 13. I was so pleased to go into labour naturally, as it was a VBAC and they weren't prepared to induce me, so it was spontaneous labour or another c-section. Good luck!

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Tue 04-Dec-12 21:53:15

Ds1 - had a sweep at 40+7 and was told my cervix was very unfavourable. I went in to spontaneous labour 2 days later.

Ds2 - at 40+2 my waters started to trickle and I had mild contractions. A vaginal exam showed my cervix was doing nothing. 3 hours later ds2 was born.

Try not to let things and people's comments upset you. Rise above it and try to enjoy your last few days of maternity leave where you have just yourself to please smile

Mockingcurl Tue 04-Dec-12 22:00:05

At 40+16 the Consultant said that there was no sign of any labour at all,and I would have to be induced the next day. I went home to prepare for the next day,but my son was born a few hours later, quite naturally.

Btw he weighed 9lb 2oz and was a much easier birth than my other 2 children who were much smaller.

All will be well.

DangerMousey Tue 04-Dec-12 22:06:00

Hey ladies thanks very much for your kindness as stories. It's just nice to hear that things can change quickly in this game and that I am not necessarily committed down a path I am not keen on.

I think I just got sucked into a bit of a spiral of negativity this morning. Will try to relax, read some good books and enjoy the peace and quiet over the next few days before it changes forever.

Thanks also for the reassurance about the baby's size. I am trying not to freak out about it, but he feels pretty big to me, if you know what I mean! I caught hold of his little fat leg through my belly this arvo and he feels like a right little chunk!

mycatlikestwiglets Wed 05-Dec-12 11:56:34

I was like you - went in for a sweep at 40+3 and was sent away as my cervix was unfavourable (they couldn't reach it). I went into spontaneous labour at 40+7 and DS finally arrived at 40+10. It was a looooong labour, which is another story! DS was 8lb11.5oz which was pretty hefty given I'm very petite. I was huge but noone expected me to have a baby that big!

Good job, hope things start moving for you soon.

cbeebiesatemybrain Wed 05-Dec-12 14:52:57

I had a sweep at 40+6 and was 3cm dilated and fully effaced so mw was certain it would work. 6 days later I had another sweep and was still 3cm dilated hmm but thankfully went into labour that night. A friend of mine went into labour the day after an "unsuccessful sweep" where her cervix was totally closed and posterior.

Don't fret about it, these things can change in no time at all and as Flisspaps says, you can be advised to go for induction but the decision is yours smile

soandsosmum Wed 05-Dec-12 16:26:08

Hi DangerMousy

I'm 40+5 today and going to chat with consultant tomorrow re avoiding induction. I'm hoping very much for a natural home water birth so intend to wait until 40+14.

Can I wait and share some calm, positive vibes with you?

whatsonyourplate Wed 05-Dec-12 16:52:37

My midwife tried and was unable to do a sweep at 40+2, I went into labour naturally and had a lovely water birth at 40+5. Goodluck!

DangerMousey Thu 06-Dec-12 15:19:09

Hey soandsosmum that sounds good - nice to know someone is in a similar situation. I am not going for a home birth but really want a water birth in the MLU...sending you lots of calm positive dilate-y vibes.

I lost my mucus plug this morning after having sex so I am hoping that means things are on the move. No sign of any contractions or anything yet today though (although did have some bad period type pains yesterday evening - again am hoping this means labour is just around the corner)....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now