Group B Strep + Homebirth

(29 Posts)
jumblequeen Tue 04-Dec-12 13:23:17

I should first point out that I haven't yet tested positive for GBS but I did with DS1 so really just want to know what my options are.

DS1 was born in hospital in a very medicalised way - I had everything on the menu, short of a CS, in addition to the antibiotics for GBS. I'm keen this time to attempt a homebirth, but would like others opinions on whether this is a feasible option, should I test positive again. Obviously the health of the baby is paramount and I would never do anything to risk it.

Any help / suggestions / shared experiences very welcome smile

mummysmellsofsick Thu 06-Dec-12 20:16:00

I tested positive for group b strep in early preg and was not re tested. Was not advised to have antibiotics as no additional risk factors. Baby born in pool at home not a hint of a problem at any stage. Would hate to advise anyone else that it's safe but that's how it worked out for us.

OliviaPeaceOnMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 06-Dec-12 20:44:42

I tested postive for DS1, had some but probably not all of the I/V a/bs during a VB. DS1 fine, though we were kept in for obs for 36 hrs (possibly this long due to weekend shifts)

I did not test for DS2 but was planning to get them to test me when in labour.
However I ended up having an accidental home birth unaccompanied by any medical professionals.

Both DSes were fine - MWs gave DH instructions on how to observe DS2.

Good luck whatever you decide.

NAR4 Fri 07-Dec-12 09:49:13

Sorry to hyjack this thread a little but;
I tested + for group B strep in my last pregnancy and was given AB throughout labour. This time the midwife sent me to see a consultant at beginning of preg and he said that because my baby wasn't ill last time that they would not test me and would assume that this time I don't have it. This doesn't sound right to me. Surely my baby wouldn't have got it last time, isn't that the point of the antibiotics in labour?

Can I be tested privately and if so where, when etc and does the hospital have to treat me according to the results?

Diamond7 Mon 10-Dec-12 20:52:13

Have you looked in to hibiclens douche / some good research showing its affective without the side effects of antibiotics.

If there are other risk factors, premature rupture membranes, prem labour, raised temp, I'd have the antibiotics too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now