Can someone help me with this?

(8 Posts)

Ok, I've had to transfer care due to a house move. I was being treated as low risk, but the MWs at my new place of care are stating that I may need to be high risk due to a pph.

I had a forceps delivery with an episiotomy, then due to my iron count was given a transfusion three days post delivery. Now, apart from that there were no other issues.

For the sake of my mental health I don't really want to be in a consultant unit. I had horrendous post natel depression and trauma last time, and wish to stick with my original plan of going to an MLU. Is there anything I should be looking at with reference to the above? My pregnancy has been very boring this time round (thank goodness).

fryingpanalley Fri 23-Nov-12 16:30:06

How far along are you? I was high risk but wanted to give birth in an MLU and simply got the consultant to agree to that at my 36 week appointment. I asked him to explain the risks of not being in a MLU, we agreed I understood them and that was it. (In the end I gave birth in triage so all the fighting was for nothing!)

MyLastDuchess Fri 23-Nov-12 16:32:22

I am not in the UK so keep that in mind but ...

I had a serious PPH after the birth of DC1 and as a result I am now classed as medium risk here in the Netherlands. This means that they really want me to be in hospital to give birth (as opposed to a birthing centre), although I will have midwives helping me rather than doctors.

Would getting a doula be an option for you? I was very traumatised by my first experience and for me that has been the best way of trying to take back some control (am now 40+6 so expecting baby any time now).

Jojoba1986 Fri 23-Nov-12 16:37:41

Be firm with them. Let them explain all the risks & then tell them calmly & assertively that you understand the potential risks but you are not prepared to go to a consultant-led unit. Maybe insist that what you really want is a homebirth but you're willing to compromise with a midwife-led unit! grin

Where you give birth is ultimately your choice, their job is to explain the benefits/potential risks of each possibility & support you in your choice.

I've got a doula, and I think I'm going to have to see the consultant.

I'm just scared that they'll start using it as a way to ramp up the interventions. I really don't want this, I feel like it'll be a one way ticket back to pnd.

Oh I'm twenty six weeks. smile

Ooooo that's good Jojo.

brettgirl2 Sat 24-Nov-12 17:55:00

I really wouldnt panic for now. Go and see the consultant and see what they think. Seeing a consultant doesnt alter your risk level, it is just another opinion. I ended up consultant led with dd2 but stayed low risk and had a home birth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now