witch hazel? what kind?

(13 Posts)
BuddyTheChristmasElf Tue 20-Nov-12 18:38:30

do you get it in gels or just in liquid? are there different kinds? thanks

rogersmellyonthetelly Tue 20-Nov-12 18:41:53

What are you planning to use it for? I'm told its excellent for piles

BuddyTheChristmasElf Tue 20-Nov-12 18:43:21

I keep hearing on here that you put it on maternity pads?
so I don't know really :-D obviously for post childbirth hence the choice of topic, but other than that I'm asking how you use it

rogersmellyonthetelly Tue 20-Nov-12 18:56:10

Well you can put it on cotton wool pads and tuck it in your bum for piles, but if you have stitches or a graze I wouldn't recommend it, it stings like hell on broken skin!

BuddyTheChristmasElf Tue 20-Nov-12 18:58:04

glad I asked on here then before slapping a soaked pad on a torn fanjo confused!

JaquelineHyde Tue 20-Nov-12 19:00:53

Liquid.

Keep it in the fridge so it is lovely and cold.

Pour on sanitory pad and place straight in knickers.

It was like bloody heaven! grin

Oh and I had a tear and it didn't sting at all.

JaquelineHyde Tue 20-Nov-12 19:01:27

No, no, no do it!

It is amazing.

cupcake78 Wed 21-Nov-12 01:00:10

Liquid, the gel will do more than make your eyes water!

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 21-Nov-12 01:11:23

Agree with Jaqueline, although I pre-poured, so kept a bag of witch-hazelled sanitary towels in the fridge.

But, (points to username) it feels odd me writing about witch hazel!

HappyTurquoise Wed 21-Nov-12 01:13:04

Liquid. it is also really good on bruises (like arnica). Can be used as a toner on the face for greasy skin.

JaquelineHyde Wed 21-Nov-12 09:30:00

Yes good idea Hazel to pre-pour. Mine was just done seperately as I was in hospital for a week after the birth and that's how they preffered to do it.

I can still remember the feeling of utter delight everytime I put a new pad in my knickers.

I'm 19 weeks gone now and so will stock up on witch hazel asap so I am prepared!

NAR4 Thu 22-Nov-12 14:36:47

I bought the bottle of liquid from Boots and soaked disposable nappy liners in it, then folded to the size I wanted and froze them. They were great for my very sore and torn moo moo. Didn't stink at all.

The hospital had a supply in the freezer on the postnatal ward that we could help ourselves to. They were so great I did some for at home, to use until all was healed. Will def be doing some in advance, for at home, this time too.

BuddyTheChristmasElf Thu 22-Nov-12 15:05:52

thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now