first timer, home alone - should I text DP or wait till he gets home?

(60 Posts)
kalidasa Mon 19-Nov-12 14:52:27

I lost my mucus plug on Saturday (just clear jelly, no blood), had the odd twinge over the weekend and felt a bit strange, today I am having period-like pains which are getting gradually worse. Perfectly manageable atm though, and I'm only 38+3 so this could go on for days/weeks right? And even if it is the very beginning of actual labour it's almost certainly going to take a long time. So far have been getting some work done (have study at home) to distract myself. Any other tips for this stage - a hot water bottle maybe? should I stay still or try moving around? have a snack? DP should be home about 7.30 so is it reasonable not to bother him yet and see how things go?

Sorry for clueless questions. Have had such an horrendous pregnancy (very ill) that I haven't really focused on this bit!

kalidasa Tue 20-Nov-12 17:02:54

Nothing really happening this afternoon! Pains have almost died away so took the opportunity to have a nap. Maybe it was all a false alarm or perhaps it'll start up again. Bit frustrating but on the other hand quite good that DP gets to finish today before anything happens as he had loads on.

CailinDana Tue 20-Nov-12 17:12:29

Drat! Same sort of thing happened to me with DS - it took a few days to get going.

shinyblackgrape Tue 20-Nov-12 20:30:41

How annoying! Our hypnobirthing teacher said this was the "rest and be thankful" phase and all part of the grand plan. That made me feel a bit better about stos and starts

Welovecouscous Tue 20-Nov-12 20:35:51

Labour will be back soon, so definitely eat, rest and sleep while you can. Will keep checking back to see what's happening.

kalidasa Tue 20-Nov-12 20:37:58

Thanks shiny. I am quite grateful actually! And I did purposelessly do absolutely nothing today in the hope that DP would be able to get through his day. I actually feel quite well this evening and miraculously a) not too sick and b) quite hungry. I felt oddly well at the weekend as well so perhaps the whole cycle will go round again.

naturalbaby Wed 21-Nov-12 18:23:02

ooo you've gone quiet kalidasa....does that mean you're busy giving birth??

Pickles77 Wed 21-Nov-12 18:52:46

Any newssmile

kalidasa Wed 21-Nov-12 20:05:29

No excitement here! After nothing at all yesterday afternoon/evening, the pains have started again today and this time they are more definitely discrete contractions - rather than continuous period pain with some worse bits - but very infrequent, only about one an hour at the moment. So as I suspected back on Monday it's all a bit of a drawn-out process. I am v. relaxed though and still managing to eat and sleep OK so happy just to let it develop. After a stressful week or two DP got home early today and I've spent all evening so far playing "Civilization" with him - a ridiculously complicated board game that he loves and I am rubbish at, but at least I have an excuse in the current circs!

naturalbaby Wed 21-Nov-12 21:38:34

ah that sounds lovely! I haven't played a board game with DH for so long. This is such a special time, I miss it so much!

vvviola Thu 22-Nov-12 05:59:49

Sounds like a great way to keep your mind occupied grin

Hope it's all progressing nicely for you...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now