homebirthers: did you pack bags?

(31 Posts)
soandsosmum Sun 18-Nov-12 18:50:26

And if so, what did you pack?

I didn't quite finish hb last time so just want to be prepared and can't remember what I packed last time!

Jojoba1986 Mon 19-Nov-12 16:16:30

Yes, & I put it in the car when I went out anywhere which came in handy when my waters broke while I was out & needed to change my trousers while waiting for DH to come get me!

I also needed it when I had to transfer in after the birth & I had a list of last minute things that I used every day & therefore couldn't pack in advance so DH could make sure I had everything.

crunchingautumnleaves Mon 19-Nov-12 16:23:35

I had a home birth box with things just for home (sheets to protect floor, lamp, torch, long handled mirror (for birth pool), comfy towels to dry off, cheap towels to make floor comfortable, old duvet also for floor, tray for midwives, couple of bin bags, several kitchen rolls, snacks for midwives/birth partners. Also had a snacks for labour bag for me, next to hb box. Then by the door, I had a hospital bag w things I'd want for labour/birth/first few hours postnatally, including some snacks (in case snack bag was forgotten if we had to transfer). Put anything I wanted to use at home like TENS & aromatherapy stuff in outside pockets/at top so I didn't disturb the rest of the packed stuff. Also by door was changing bag w things for baby. And also an over the shoulder canvas bag I could chuck in anything I was using currently if we transferred like the TENS etc I also had packed a box of postnatal stuff for me & baby so family would know where to find things if we had to stay in longer (something I was keen to avoid!). All boxes/bags were labelled v clearly.

elliejjtiny Mon 19-Nov-12 16:42:44

With DS1 I didn't. Then I wish I had when I had to send midwife up to my bedroom to find clean knickers.

With DS2 I did. But I thought packing a bag would tempt fate so I had my stuff in my ironing basket and first outfit, nappy and blanket for baby in the moses basket.

DS3 was a planned hospital birth but we kept having to go back in because of weightloss so I had a just in case bag that we kept in the car for the first 2 weeks.

soandsosmum Wed 21-Nov-12 10:38:28

Thanks ladies. I have three bags packed now but will add some things from your lists smile

squidkid Wed 21-Nov-12 11:03:28

Yes. And it was useful to have everything in one place even though I didn't go in.

mayhew Wed 21-Nov-12 12:25:57

As a homebirth midwife….please pack a bag. Just basic stuff.Apart from the obvious, its really useful just after the birth because the things you want (and have selected) immediately are all handy. Also it prevents those irritations when OH cannot find maternity pads, the right pants or nightie.

Anecdote alert: A woman recently rejected the babygro out of the bag after lovely HB. "i didn't want to put the ones I like into that bag…"
A dad to me "haven't you brought nappies?" Child was in a teatowel until the shops opened….

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now