Post Birth Piles. Please help me!

(22 Posts)
seabuckthorn Sun 18-Nov-12 04:11:36

3 days old I gave birth. I feel sick with the pain from the piles. It's utter agony!
Paracetamol and Germaloid are not working!
I have witch hazel spray should I try gel? I'm taking arnica tablets. I'm throwing everything at it and I can barely sit down. When I lie down they are still so sore.
Should I go to the GP on Monday? Will they have a magic cure? I can't function like this or poo for that matter.

I'm desperate and in agony, sweet tea is needed.

seabuckthorn Sun 18-Nov-12 04:11:58

3 days ago! DS is 3 days old.

CordeliaChase Sun 18-Nov-12 04:26:20

Get yourself to the doctors ASAP. In the meantime, have a warm bath before you go for a poo to shrink them. Also, ice pops wrapped in a baby wipe held against to numb them. Vagisil or anything with lidocaine will numb them. I tore my bum when if given birth, it took months to heal sad. Hope you feel better and congrats smile

kefybaby Sun 18-Nov-12 04:26:21

I'd go to the GP. I had a similar problem (not as painful) and was prescribed suppositories. They helped a lot. I hope you feel much better soon.

seabuckthorn Sun 18-Nov-12 04:33:58

Thank you. I will sent DP to boots in the morning.
It's hideous. I was reading about popping them back in but that would never be possible.
I'll get lactulose too as I haven't been yet, probably more physiological than physical.
Will the cream the GP supplies stop the pain? It's like a burning dragging pain.
Honestly labour was not as bad as this and I'm on DC3.
Thank you for replying. 4:30 is lonely at the best of times.

CordeliaChase Sun 18-Nov-12 04:38:41

I literally couldn't go either sad it's so awful. Vagasil was lifesaver, numbed me up enough to go. You need to stay regular too, constipation makes it so much worse. Lots of water and fruit n veg to keep you going.

Longdistance Sun 18-Nov-12 04:40:31

Congrats on the baby!

I had s massive problem with piles, a huge cluster of them after both pg. All I can suggest is ice. It was an amazing reliever from that throbbing. I also boughta ring to sit on like old people sit on most pharmacies stock them.

sleepywombat Sun 18-Nov-12 04:49:38

I got them in my 2nd pregnancy & of course, despite everyone telling me they'd go, they got far worse after birth.
Against all my principles, but I succumbed to steroid cream from pharmacy for mine. Amazing - 2 days & they were gone after trying every kinder/more natural method under the sun.
Obviously, in the long term, diet to avoid constipation & my body getting back to normal have ensured they haven't returned, but the cream was a quick fix.

stargirl1701 Sun 18-Nov-12 05:39:14

Try Anusol HC - it has a steroid in it which makes it very effective. You have to apply it both internally, using the nozzle, and externally. It is only avail in pharmacies.

A condom grin filled with water, frozen and wrapped in gauze is the best ice pack for the area.

Take some paracetamol and ibruprofen - 1000mg and 400mg respectively.

Good luck OP. They're a bloody nightmare!

seabuckthorn Sun 18-Nov-12 11:50:05

Anusol HC can I buy this? Thanks for the support DP doesn't get it.
Midwife said to alternate between germaloid and anusol and to wait a couple of weeks... I don't think so! I need to be able to stand and sit ASAP!

brettgirl2 Sun 18-Nov-12 12:32:41

I had this both times. You need to get a prescription tbh I might try out of hours I remember being in agony. The prescription stuff is steroid based so you cant buy it otc. With my second baby I just rang up and spoke to dr over the phone. Your mw is mad, you may as well put toothpaste on them as germaloids. They just like women to suffer with childbirth I think.

brettgirl2 Sun 18-Nov-12 12:33:48

OH and I have a friend who 'waited' 2 weeks and they ended up being banded. Mine which were properly treated went back down.

seabuckthorn Sun 18-Nov-12 14:20:41

I thought as much!
Right I'll ring triage tomorrow morning and get a prescription over the phone if I can.
2 blooming weeks, I need my life back to enjoy my family not dealing with this blooming agony!

seabuckthorn Sun 18-Nov-12 14:21:28

Thanks everyone smile

seabuckthorn Mon 19-Nov-12 17:13:42

Just to update, I'm so glad I listened to you wise lot instead of listening to the midwife.
I called triage this morning and she was lovely, said as everyone here did that anusol and germaloid wasn't going to fix anything! Have got some ointment on order which I should hopefully have by tomorrow.
I am really looking forward to not being in any more pain!
Thanks again.

surfmama Mon 19-Nov-12 21:34:22

nelsons hcare - absolutely saved my arse haha sorry. it is very good indeed, give it a go.

woopsidaisy Mon 19-Nov-12 22:35:35

Proctosedyl suppositories AND ointment. Relief within hours.

sausagerolemodel Mon 19-Nov-12 22:42:37

Scheriproct steroid ointment combined with movicol (makes poo squishy so fear of going to toilet is not absolute). Also mothercare sell a popsicle shaped icepack you can put in your pants. Comes with little disposable cotton covers. Saved my arse. Literally!

Also - after a week and a half I felt like I was never going to feel normal again. GP said - by 2 and a half to three weeks you will feel OK again, and he was right, so keep your chin up and your eye on the horizon!

seabuckthorn Tue 20-Nov-12 00:02:30

I think that's what I've got on order sausage did it work quickly? im also on lactulose and fibre-gel.
I'll look into the mini ice pack. It's such agony, I feel sick with the pain at times. Just the constant pain and not being to be get comfortable.
Thanks for the replies everyone.

sausagerolemodel Tue 20-Nov-12 00:24:05

Really quickly. I had left it longer post-birth than you have to get to GPs (tried every OTC thing going, not realising there was better help available).

When I finally got a prescription the relief was almost immediate (within hours it begins to lessen) and immense.

I recall on day 3 venturing out of the house and using the pram like a zimmer frame because i couldn't walk properly. It will get better soon, I promise! xx

izzyishavingababyAGAIN Tue 20-Nov-12 00:46:17

I take lactulose as a matter of course now, by DC3 you learn these things, also I put some tea tree oil on my maternity pads, which is a huge help for healing.

wheresmespecs Tue 20-Nov-12 19:40:12

Proctosedyl or xyloproct. Both are effective painkillers (genuinely, effective) and reduce inflammation.

Germaloids and anusol are only any use, and then not much really, with very mild cases. Drives me round the bend that women after childbirth with major piles are brushed off like this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now