Urinary Incontinence after birth.

(9 Posts)
funchum8am Thu 15-Nov-12 18:35:49

Gp is testing my urine to rule out infection and given me a printout re pelvic floor exercises. I am to go back if no improvement. Hmm.

When DS was born, I had Shoulder Dystocia and Keilland Forceps (Sp) were used, I was cut extensively and my fanjo suffered some serious trauma.

It was evident early on that due to the nature of the birth I had absolutely NO control of the need to pee. By the time I thought "Oh I need a wee" it was running down my legs.

Hospital was on the ball, I had to measure fluid intake and then measure my wee to make sure it was working properly, I had an attractive heat lamp to shine on my fanjo to encourage healing.

I actually could not feel my pelvic floor at all, if that makes sense.

The HV / Midwives were fab and I received regular physio.

I did suffer from stress incontinence for a while (still do if I have a bad cold). I would mention it to your HV (if they are any good) or just go to GP. They will be able to help.

It is really distressing though, I spent the first few months of DS life worrying about my peeing habits rather than DS sad

greenbananas Thu 15-Nov-12 12:38:09

I am currently 8 days overdue with DC2 and already know I will have this problem after birth (I have been using super-sized TENAlady for weeks already). The midwives have said I must get help from the physiotherapy department at local hospital after the birth, as there are options to make this go away.

Can you be referred by your midwife or does it have to be a GP?

Evilwater Thu 15-Nov-12 03:33:30

Another feed, and more wind.
Evil

whoneedstosleep Thu 15-Nov-12 03:07:35

Please excuse all those typos- one handed typing at 3am not my strong point! smile

addictedtolatte Thu 15-Nov-12 03:07:13

go to your gp and get referred to clinic. i have this with a double prolapse and there are quite a lot of options if exercise isnt working. good luck

whoneedstosleep Thu 15-Nov-12 03:06:18

dripdripdrip I have just recently had my check up at 12 weeks following a 3rd degree tear with the combined physio clinic at the hospital. They ask lots of questions about bladder & bowel and do an examine (embarrassing but worthwhile) .
Do you get anything like that?

She did say it could take a few months after a tear like that for your pelvic floors to be strong again.

Thankfully I've not had that problem but if I did there is a referral army system in place for it to be investigated.

I think what I'm trying to say is if it still persists there are things that can be done so do ask.

funchum8am Thu 15-Nov-12 02:20:05

I have this (after far less difficult birth - forceps and episiotomy) but it is only small amounts and the leakage is not when I cough or sneeze etc, just random. Pelvic floor exercises don't seem to make any difference - I am not sure they are even affecting the relevant muscles as I can't feel that area clenching when I do them (sorry if a bit graphic!). I am off to the gp for my 6 week check so will be asking for help. Will report back!

dripdripdrip Thu 15-Nov-12 01:19:53

Gave birth over a month ago, baby was well over 9lbs, had a 3rd degree tear which was stiched up in theatre and by all acounts (well accoding to the mws) seems to have healed well.

Up until last week I had lochia- but then it changed colour and smell and I realised that what I thought was lochia was urine. I leak throughout the day, really small amounts but enough to warrant changing my pad and smelly too. I feel constantly damp. I am super paranoid esecially about the smell. I have been doing my pelvic floors since the birth, however I am worried that I will have to live with this forever as it doesn't seem to be getting better and also doesn't seem to be a pattern or partiularlar trigger that sets off the leaking. I have been reading about stress incontinence but not sure if this is what it is. Has anyone else hadf this? does it get better?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now