1st period after birth lasting over 2 weeks so far?

(4 Posts)
Hermionewastherealhero Fri 16-Nov-12 10:06:52

Thank you, best get an appointment. Glad you are ok now

MolotovBomb Thu 15-Nov-12 09:47:43

*infection, not intention blush

MolotovBomb Thu 15-Nov-12 09:46:22

Hi there, yes, you should go to your GP, but it's probably nothing to worry about.

I had my DD2 by ELCS this April. My first period post-birth (not lochia) lasted for around 28 days - yes, I had a 4-week period.

I was soooooo freaked out. I went to see my GP who examined my abdomen/uterus, arranged for a blood test and trans-vaginal ultrasound scan to check for retained products (unlikely with am ELCS, but still possible).

I had the blood test but didn't need the scan as I'd stopped bleeding by the time the appointment came.

The blood test showed that I had a low lymphocyte (White blood cell) count. This is common after surgery and/or infection (I didn't have any intention after the birth; maybe my body fought it off which is what knocked out the White cells?)

I don't know if this was anything to do with my long period.

The good news is that, almost 7 months later, my periods have -touches wood- reregulated and lasting about 5-6 days.

HTH!

Hermionewastherealhero Wed 14-Nov-12 12:06:21

sorry if this is in the wrong place.
I had my baby by c section 10 weeks ago, all bleeding stopped after about 3 weeks. I got my first period 16 days ago and started back on the pill, but I am still bleeding. Should I go to gp?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now