Ok, keep me sane - those who declined Induction!

(35 Posts)
TheDetective Wed 14-Nov-12 11:33:31

I am now 40+11 by scan dates (my own dates make me a couple of days less). I am absolutely declining IOL for post dates alone. I am a VBAC, and planning a homebirth.

So, despite being a midwife myself, I have never really come across women who decline IOL. Most are begging for it at this point... but not me!

So, if you declined it... what happened next! Please reassure me that I won't be pregnant forever. Stupid hormones!

I was 40+13 by scan dates last time, but 40+9 by my own dates. However I wasn't 100% sure of my own dates. This time I am definite.

I need your stories!

javotte Wed 14-Nov-12 11:56:47

I refused an induction for a week. It drove the midwives mad. I even refused internal examinations because I was worried they would try to give me a sweep without my consent. A few harsh words were exchanged.
DD was born at 42 weeks (labour started 1h before the appointment for an induction grin).

cbeebiesatemybrain Wed 14-Nov-12 13:00:51

I refused induction but had 2 sweeps and went into labour at 40+12 although a friend went to +17! I had a lovely homebirth so I'm glad I waited although the last few days dragged. Where I live they seem quite induction happy and wanted to book me in at +8 hmm

ThatBintAgain Wed 14-Nov-12 13:06:25

I declined it (both times!) and the second time when my waters went but nothing happened they wanted to take me in and I said no. There was a bit of an argument discussion but labour finally got going by itself and I had a lovely homebirth and a beautiful healthy baby.

Hope you get the birth you want!

SurreyWithAFringeOnTop Wed 14-Nov-12 13:17:21

Just as an aside; I thought you weren't supposed to be induced for a VBAC anyway?

thedicewoman Wed 14-Nov-12 13:26:09

Declined both times and was 40+17 both times. Last one was an HBAC too. Definitely stick to your guns, I agree that induction is not advisable for vbac.

cheesesavory Wed 14-Nov-12 13:28:30

I declined it, they wanted to do it at 40+10 - at 40+8 they did a sweep when the mw said my cervix was completely unfavourable for an induction anyway, so refusal was probably the right thing to do (she acknowledged they just wanted to do it as it was policy and there was no reasoning behind it). I went into labour at 40+12.

Knew this would be you Detective smile

Watching with interest as I'm being pushed towards having an induction at term which I would like to refuse

TheDetective Wed 14-Nov-12 15:17:07

I can wait Fatima... just grin.

Re: VBAC, you can induce, it depends on the hospital policy, and some Consultants are happy to agree, others not. There are varying levels of policy around, on which agents can be used etc etc. I've known many VBAC IOLs. I wouldn't want to be one though.

In my mind, I don't think induction on someone with a uterine scar can be justified for post term alone. There are very few reasons I would agree to IOL if I am honest. Even PROM wouldn't have me agreeing.

Still happy to sit this one out. It is reassuring to know that others have similar stories to tell!

mayhew Wed 14-Nov-12 15:37:40

I am an NHS homebirth mw. Many of our clients decline routine IOL for postmaturity. Our unit policy is to offer IOL @ T+12. Some consultants do not promote IOL for VBAC but elCS. Those who decline IOL are offered expectant management. Daily CTG, Uss @ 42 weeks for liquor volume. I discuss vigilance in watching for changes in fetal movement. I warn clients of the high chance of meconium stained liquor and how that would lead to advice to deliver where neonatal services are available.

TheDetective Wed 14-Nov-12 15:44:12

I've got quite a detailed birth plan - I don't intend to transfer for mec. liquor - unless it is fresh and thick in labour.

That reminds me, I could really do with printing it off, as the SOM and community midwives have a copy - and I don't! Must remember what I have written grin.

I'm not intending daily monitoring either. I'm trying to decide on a frequency which I am comfortable with. I think daily is just too much when you are trying to relax and allow your body to labour!

I really hoped I wouldn't get to this point in my birth plan grin.

mummybare Brazil Wed 14-Nov-12 15:55:32

I refused induction at 40+14, had some monitoring, a sweep and a brisk walk up a hill and DD was born the following morning. I think I would have relented at 40+16, so I'm glad she put in an appearance when she did!

Good luck with it all, OP.

Welovecouscous Wed 14-Nov-12 16:55:59

I refused iol. DS was born at 40+15 on their dates, which was 40+10 on theirs.

I 'had' to see the consultant to discuss why I didn't want iol - I explained about charting and why I was so sure I knew when I has ov and conceived. He was very supportive and asked us to agree to 'split the difference' ie agree to iol on 40+17 on their dates, which was 40+12 on mine.

Only problem I had was with mw who was head of antenatal who thought I was putting DS at risk.

DS was fine btw!

Welovecouscous Wed 14-Nov-12 16:56:16

40+10 on mine blush

Welovecouscous Wed 14-Nov-12 16:57:13

I agreed to iol on 40+17 btw - my community mw said I could always move the date again when it came close. Then went into labour naturally - yay grin

Frontpaw Wed 14-Nov-12 17:00:45

I havemt but used to teach childbirthy things. Due dates can be two weeks + out! If you and the baby are comfortable, safe and not in discomfort, whats the harm in waiting a little longer. Ask your doctor and see what s/he says.

Baby can't stay in there for ever you know!

ChristineDaae Wed 14-Nov-12 17:12:04

Ok I'm
Going to be the stupid one and ask.... What's wrong with induction? I was induced early due to complications on scan at 20 weeks... It never occurred to me induction was bad??blush

mayhew Wed 14-Nov-12 17:29:58

Christine, labour that starts by itself is more likely to end in a normal delivery than one artificially started. Presumably, when the body is physiologically ready it works more efficiently. This means that you have to balance the risks of waiting for labour to start against the risks of, well any of these, drug reactions, baby becoming distressed by the process, baby not quite mature, baby being medicated, immobility in labour, epidural, instrumental and cs delivery.

This is not to say that IOL is not a wise choice in the right circumstances but it is not risk-free.

cbeebiesatemybrain Wed 14-Nov-12 18:07:48

From now on ignore the housework, let the dishes pile up next to the sink and if possible let some toddlers go wild in your front room - I'll even lend you mine! A messy house is guaranteed to make labour start if you're having a homebirth voiceof experience blush

Good luck grin

Those saying that due dates can be up to 2 weeks out. What happens if you know the exact date and therefore the exact due date?
Would you be willing to agree to IOL earlier then? How far would you accept going over?

MarzipanAnimal Wed 14-Nov-12 18:22:50

My DN was born at 40+20! My Dsis had expectant management I think every other day I think. She was put under pressure to agree to iol but stuck to her guns. She started off at home but was transferred into hosp and thinks she was treated as high risk in hosp because she was overdue. DN was absolutely fine though, didn't have that overdue look

cheesesavory Wed 14-Nov-12 19:55:36

I am being thick he was born at 40+14!

cheesesavory Wed 14-Nov-12 19:58:40

Fatima not every baby is ready at exactly 40 weeks, in different countries term is classes as 41 or even 42 in (I think) Sweden) so what you think your dates are still doesn't mean baby will come at 40 wks even by your dates.

Frontpaw Wed 14-Nov-12 20:58:06

The due date is guesswork to start with: the doctor asks date of last period, estimates are made from measurements, gestation is a rough guide anyway (not every baby is born after XXX days), and dates are calculated differently in different coutries anyway.

I know someone who had an induction at about 40+ 10 days. Now she and her other half are both very tall and at an early scan, the measurements were taken and due date estimated. The baby was estimated at 2-3 weeks early in the end. I assume it was because of measurements - as I said, both parents were well over 6 feet.

That's my reasoning behind refusing IOL at 40 weeks. The consultant wants to look at induction at term as I have had IVF. In my eyes that still doesn't mean it will be ready at 40 weeks exactly though. Scans I have had have put the measurements as a few days earlier but they didn't bother changing my due date with it being IVF conception.

Sorry for hijacking detective

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now