Going over with a big 'un!

(3 Posts)
ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Wed 14-Nov-12 23:44:14

I was continually told that DD was big but an obstetrician friend said that Estimates for weight for babies in utero is not particularly accurate. Size of mother/baby usually has no implication on the birth in the vast majority of cases - she said she's seen tiny women quickly and easily deliver huge babies and huge women struggle to deliver tiny babies. She wouldn't recommend an induction based on predicted baby size unless other significant problems arose.

Jakeyblueblue Wed 14-Nov-12 22:42:59

I saw the consultant at 38 weeks as all of a sudden I started measuring 42 weeks. Consultant wasn't really worried, just said it was because baby was big but did book me for induction then and there, for 10 days over. He said they wouldn't advise I went any further over due to ds size.
I had him almost a week early in the end he was 9 and a half pounds so I'm guessing if I would have been left to go two weeks over he'd probably have been well over 10 lbs. smile

sallybean Wed 14-Nov-12 09:54:34

Hello ladies,
Just after a little advice or knowledge.
I'm expecting my second boy in 2 days & whilst I'm not hugely stressed about when he makes his appearance, he has been measuring very large on the growth chart (continually on or over the 90th Centile from week 24 & The midwife always has a giggle when she measures me as he continues to grow so large & I'm fairly slight - 5'9", size 8 frame).

My question is - if he does go overdue, how long do they normally leave it before they begin interfering with you? (I know its 2 weeks usually, but is it different if they are bigger babies?) I'm all for a natural birth, but not relishing the prospect of a huge boy trying to make an exit!!!

Any experiences or knowledge hugely appreciated smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now