Alas, I have lost my crown as the warrior-queen of childbirth...

(65 Posts)

My lovely friend has today given birth to a beautiful bouncing eye-watering baby boy of 11lb13oz... I previously held the title with a solid 9lb2oz baby

though technically I still kinda retain some record, as my DS was delivered naturally (Tens plus Gas & Air) whereas my poor friend had to have a C Section as it just wasn't happening

Anyone else had little whoppers larger babies? Are the subsequent siblings actually BIGGER???

«winces»

PurplePidjin Tue 13-Nov-12 20:27:27

Friend's baby was 10lb15 on g+a and tens - no time for epi as she was at MLU.

Imminent childbirth holds far less fear for me knowing she came through relatively unscathed back in her size 10s within 3 months without even trying grin

JoandMax Tue 13-Nov-12 20:33:43

My 1st was 9lb 3oz - I actually didn't think he was that big as both DH and I are from families with large babies.

My 2nd was 10lb 15oz at 38 weeks - he seemed massive and I often wonder how big he would of got if I'd gone 2 weeks over....

Both were CS though, DS1 a crash and DS2 a necessity!

Slightly worried how big a 3rd would be though

chutneypig Tue 13-Nov-12 20:39:04

DC1 was 9 lb 2. DC2 didn't quite make 6 lb.

But they were born 2 minutes apart grin.

Oh my god, chutney gets the prize!

FirstTimeForEverything Tue 13-Nov-12 20:47:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Easier? Really?

DawnOfTheDee Tue 13-Nov-12 20:53:24

I think i saw someone on another thread say it was something to do with more pressure on the cervix FirstTime.

chutneypig Tue 13-Nov-12 20:53:28

They did cause quite a stir in the theatre. I lay there thinking 'that's a big baby' and I'd been told they were the same size. And that was at 38 weeks,I shudder to think what would have happened if DS had been left to his own devices. He was the big one and was not shifting.

Fillybuster Tue 13-Nov-12 20:53:53

I wish I could breathe out babies. I have friends who managed this and am still massively envious....in fact, I would probably have considered having more than 3 dcs if I wasn't so utterly shit at childbirth and pregnancy

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Tue 13-Nov-12 21:04:38

My dc3 was 9lb 11oz - back to back, natural birth and I had only gas and air. I remember screaming for an epidural at one stage, but I was told it was so far along it wasn't worth it. There were a lot of stitches.

I still remember the pain now. I def felt like I deserved a medal ;)

Weight wise, she dropped to the 50th centile pretty quickly and has followed it ever since.

TigerFeet Tue 13-Nov-12 21:05:27

I know two people who had 11lb+ babies.

First one was around 11lb 7oz - born by cs after labour failed to progress.
Second one was a bit bigger and born vaginally but got stuck, had his arm broken on teh way out and wasn't breathing at first. Happily he's fine now at 6mo.

They both looked like newborns though, people seemed to think they'd look like older babies because they were bigger hmm. They still had squishy faces and ears flat to the sides of their heads. They were just, well, a bit bigger than my two 7ish pounders grin

motherinferior Tue 13-Nov-12 21:07:34

DP's best mate at school was built like a brick shithouse and was the runt of the family; DP informs me that best mate's SIL gave birth to TWINS both of whom weighed over 10lbs shock

holy hell motherinferior!!!!!!
A friend at work had a thirteen pounder. naturally.

the midwife guessed that mine is weighing about 8lbs- I bloody hope so! I'm 5 days overdue now though....

CheerfulYank Tue 13-Nov-12 21:15:32

Eeek! DS was 8.9 and that was more than enough! shock

AndiMac Tue 13-Nov-12 21:15:40

DD was 9lbs, born after 4 days of contractions finally developed into what the midwives like to call "proper" contractions, after a few hours sleep with the help of pethidine. It had worn off by the time we got to the pushing stage.

DS was 9lb 15oz, born 8 hours after I had felt the first twinge. Used a TENS and some G&A. He was considerably bigger, but a lot was in length, not girth, thank goodness.

But I figure that usually every baby after the first born naturally is going to be easier because, ahem, the pipes have been cleared already.

RosannaBanana Tue 13-Nov-12 21:21:15

My DD is 13 pounds now. She is 3 months old, and quite a chunky baby, plus very long. The thought of giving birth to her now... Can barely imagine it. Well done big baby ladies smile

Meglet Tue 13-Nov-12 21:25:13

XP was a thirteen pounder (her third baby), his mum showed me his birth record. He grew up the size of a brick shithouse.

'Sadly' I had to have an CS's with our DC's, DS was 2 weeks early and already 7lb 6.

Welovecouscous Tue 13-Nov-12 21:30:52

Mine was 9lbs 2 as well and I felt quite warrior queenish when I pushed him out naturally with just gas and air. THREE hours pushing hmm

Crikeyblimey Tue 13-Nov-12 21:42:57

Dh was 11lbs and my mil had home birth and says she never felt a thing!! Literally a painless labour!! Pushing him out "smarted" a bit she said!! Mad cow! I met the midwife at a family wedding (very small town, very old lady) and she told me that he was the biggest and easiest baby she'd ever delivered in her 40 years as a midwife smile

His older sister was far smaller and she said that hurt like he'll!

When I was pg, I prayed that ds would take after me and not dh. I weighed 4lbs 14.

Brockle Tue 13-Nov-12 21:53:20

Me too welove, feel rather pathetic now. 39 weeks today and started to worry when the NW asked how big my other two were. She said he is definitely nearer the 9lb 2oz than the 7lb 11oz. No shit sherlock.

Brockle Tue 13-Nov-12 21:53:20

Me too welove, feel rather pathetic now. 39 weeks today and started to worry when the NW asked how big my other two were. She said he is definitely nearer the 9lb 2oz than the 7lb 11oz. No shit sherlock.

I delivered an 11lb (and half an ounce) baby at home 2 years ago. He was baby number 4. I used gas and air and a tens machine. It was hard work, but ok. No damage done! He could hold his head up right away and was soooo fat! He had really broad shoulders and huge hands and feet. He looked new, but was as big as my 3 month old nephew.

It absolutely was not easier to deliver him than the others who weighed 8.13, 9.7 and 7.15. Some people seem to think big babies crawl out by themselves! The first stage was the same for all, but the second stage was most definitely harder.

I'm pg with dc5 now, and I am a little worried about this one being as big.

Chutney do you have any bump photos? I only got to 30 weeks with 2 three pounders and I felt GINORMOUS. I just can't imagine where another 9lbs of baby might've gone!

BerthaTheBogBurglar Tue 13-Nov-12 22:02:56

Good grief at 13 pound babies. My 3 added together would still only be 14lbs.

Dd was 6 months old before she weighed 13 pounds.

You lot can keep your crowns. I have newborn baby hats that fit tangerines ...

steppemum Tue 13-Nov-12 22:05:52

1st - 10lbs 1oz
2nd - 8lbs 7oz (but she was early)
3rd - 10lbs 7oz.

1st was hardest, he had the biggest head I have ever seen, baby hats didn't fit, 0-3 month hats didn't fit, seriously ouch grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now