water birth @ Dr Grays Elgin

(7 Posts)
frogem366 Fri 09-Nov-12 11:28:18

Got any experience of this and would like to share thoughts?

I have heard from comm midwife it is not used often as the unit is "a little oldfashioned"

I know one of the senior midwives at dr greys and just from speaking to her I don't think she would come under the "old fashioned" banner. She is quite forward thinking actually. The unit might be a bit dated, but if you maybe give the unit a call you can maybe have a visit to see what's what. They have to respect your wishes and if the pool is available and there are no other risks you should get to use it.

weegiemum Fri 09-Nov-12 13:34:33

Both my older nephews were born there, one was a wterbirth iirc and he's almost 10.

weegiemum Fri 09-Nov-12 13:36:23

If you insist there's a nice birth pool in Raigmore. I thought I'd like it but hated the sensation of the water when I was in labour, but it was there and they were very encouraging about it's use!

seoladair Sat 10-Nov-12 16:23:53

I was pg at the same time as a friend from Elgin, and so we regularly swapped notes about our pregnancies. She opted to go to Aberdeen in the end, rather than giving birth at Dr. Gray's. There was no epidural on offer there, and she found her consultant and some of the antenatal midwives to be very patronising and bossy. The ethos sounds a bit weird, but maybe that was just my friend's experience, I don't know.

frogem366 Mon 12-Nov-12 11:54:34

I had the choice of aberdeen or elgin. i have opted for elgin after a terrible experience in aberdeen (staff related)
I was hoping elgin would be different, being a smaller unit.

FoofFighter Thu 07-Feb-13 16:59:45

Hello, did you find out the answer to your query? Due to give birth there this year.
I have to agree with seoladair's friend's opinion of the mw I have seen so far sad hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now