Hypnobirthing

(12 Posts)
Bobbie007 Wed 07-Nov-12 18:08:16

Hi,
Could anyone share their hypno birth experience with me please? I had a horrific experience with my first and really am terrified about my second (due in march) I have recently been told about hypno birthing and I am really curious. Does it work, can it reduce the likelihood of a c section, any help would be very gratefully received.
Thank you!!!

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Thu 08-Nov-12 10:46:15

I had a tough birth experience with DS and was getting a bit panicky about giving birth to DD so I bought the Maggie Howell effective birth preparation book and CDs at about 28 weeks. I found the book interesting and working through the preparation CD on a regular basis really calmed me down and helped me to think more positively. In fact, DD was breech at 35 weeks, c-section was being discussed and I felt quite disappointed about missing out on a normal labour smile

Anyway, she turned round and I (finally) went into labour spontaneously. I was aiming for a calm birth where I felt in control and that's what I got. I was calm during contractions, they felt manageable but I still asked for an epidural, which was great for a while as I could rest. When it stopped working properly I still felt calm and used the hypnotherapy techniques to breathe through the contractions until DD was born. All in all, a much better experience without the total loss of control I felt with DS.

LadyJ123 Thu 08-Nov-12 11:14:43

I used the Marie Mongan method for both DS1 and DS2. I went on a course and read the book. I'm a bit of an advocate when it comes to hypnobirthing and cannot recommend it enough. Because of the hypnobirthing both of my labours were completely drug-free - not even gas and air- albeit not without their complications - DS2 was induced and had the cord around his neck. I am the biggest wuss and always expected to be yelling for the drugs once the contractions started grin but the breathing allows you to manage the pain (sorry!) by yourself. Before going on the course I was terrified about the whole birth process and the hypnobirthing stopped me panicking and when the time came I was prepared for what was going to happen and felt in control.

I downloaded the CD onto my iPod and practiced the breathing every day once I was on maternity leave. Once the contractions stared I put my head phones on and because I'd practiced, the breathing came fairly naturally. If you are at all nervous about giving birth I really really recommend doing hypnobirthing. (I warned you I was a zealotwink).

LadyJ123 Thu 08-Nov-12 11:23:22

Just realised you've already given birth but had a bad experience. Recommend the hypno even more.

reindeesandchristmastrees Thu 08-Nov-12 20:54:56

Another hypnobirthing advocate here. Both my births were serene and calm at home curtesy of a course for ds and a refresher for dd. it is fab!

It really works! I used natal hypnotherapy but I think anything you use to put you in control is hugely beneficial. I had a drug fuelled nightmare first labour and was devastated by the experience.
If you'd told me I'd be having a home birth for ds2 I'd have died laughing but at 37 weeks, after 6 weeks of intensively listening to my natal hypnotherapy cd, attending a course and reading the book I booked a birthing pool and felt unbelievably calm.
It was the BEST labour i could have hope for. I was like a different person and I put this totally down to natal hypnotherapy. It is all about being in control, knowing the triggers to relax and using your breathing effectively. No drugs, no gas and air even until the last hour......still amazed now 5 month on smile

Azrael Thu 08-Nov-12 21:03:02

I listened to the Maggie Howell CDs, loved them all, I found it was a nice way to relax at night (even if she says that if possible you shouldn't listen to them before goign to bed). Did it for a few weeks before giving birth.

The only problem is that I found birth to be ten gazillion times more difficult, painful and... well, insane, than I thought it would be. So well I guess I'm like you, I had a difficult experience. What I learnt with Maggie Howell (breathing, relaxing) kind of helped during the experience, but not much to be honest.

In conclusion, don't get your hopes up, hypnobirthing is not miraculous, but if I were you I'd do it anyway, just on the odd chance that it might make you feel more relaxed...

My 2 cent!

If you can afford to attend a course in your chosen method I can't recommend it enough. It really will put your head in the right place which is the key to it all, IMHO

noseynoonoo Fri 09-Nov-12 11:48:29

I think if you have had a negative experience previously a course, rather than just a CD at home, may be more useful - as Azrael's story emphasises. You can find a list of certified practioners here: http://www.hypnobirthing.co.uk/hypnobirthing_classes.shtml

I have 2 HypnoBirthing babies myself. I had planned homebirths but before they were born I had complications but the classes and CD/book really helped me to have what I would describe as two perfect births.

Good luck.

Peka Fri 09-Nov-12 14:03:43

Hi I used hypnobirthing for my first birth and plan to for no2 on the way. I would say a few things - I attended the course and read the book but the best thing for me was putting the hypno on the ipod and listening to it all the time - on way to work and home, at least one other time during the day, in the middle of the night when awake because of need to pee etc... that is what I also used when in labour and it was wonderfully affirmative and familiar - I just sank into my own world.

I managed a really positive home birth but did use water and entonox too - the hypno started to really annoy me when I went into transition, but I continued to try and use breathing, which really doesn't work that well with entonox (long out breath for hypno vs long in breath for g&a) and all went to pot in pushing stage as was just such hard work. At one point my DH said 'do you really want to push?' as we had been told you don't need to with hypno - and I was like 'I want to do whatever the midwife tells me to!!' anyway had a great birth in general and natural third stage and was great to be able to stay at home for first birth and would totally recommend homebirth and hypno too. But don't worry if it doesn't go according to the 'hypno' plan - these are all tools to help you feel in control and have the birth you would like and I will be using them all again - this time my HB NHS midwife is very encouraging about not having to push in same way and letting my body dictate etc so may end up having proper hypno next time!

xxx

chubbychipmonk Sat 10-Nov-12 20:47:22

Worked for me! Bought a CD and listened to it every night as I fell asleep or when I was dozing. Couldn't tell you what it said coz it always sent me into a sleep but it obviously worked. Had 10 hour labour from start to Finnish, only gas and air, no tears or stitches and only pushed for 15 mins. There comes a point in labour where its a fline between losing control or remaining focused & in control. I remember it so clearly, being in the hospital and being in the verge of screaming but then being able to pull it back, remain in control & breathe through it. I did yoga too which I highly recommend. . .i can't recommend hypnobirthing enough smile

snowchick1977 Mon 12-Nov-12 11:27:15

Hi

I had my daughter 3 weeks ago and my other ds in July last year.

Both hypnobirths, both pain and drug free. One in water, one not. No stitches, felt so fab after, was up and about straight away.

I went on a 2 part course and followed the Mongan method and read the book and did the breathing and relaxation excercise from about 32 weeks (not that long)

It just totally makes sense to me, and Im not a hippy type smile

I can honestly say that hypnobirthing made both births a totally pleasurable experience....both labours were around 6 hours with no pushing....the babies didnt seem to need pushing out, they just came out because I was relaxed.

Good luck.....it'll change your perception of birth totally x x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now