3rd degree tear and scan

(11 Posts)
Jenny123G Wed 14-Nov-12 23:39:54

That's my concern too! Be so much easier if a stork did deliver these babies :-)

hiviolet Wed 14-Nov-12 23:32:18

I am pretty much convinced I'll ask for a c section when I have another baby. I'm terrified of it happening again because aside from the recovery being awful, there's only so much damage a pelvic floor can take, right?

Jenny123G Wed 14-Nov-12 23:20:18

Thanks for that my 3rd degree tear took about 6 months to heal and everything went back to normal. My second I had a 2nd. Degree tear and everything went back to normal again after 6 months.
Pregnant again and now have the option for a c section but really don't know what to do. Doing lots of research at the min. But no never been offered scans just been asked how I got on.

hiviolet Wed 14-Nov-12 23:09:46

I was told that some hospitals have gynae consultants that do follow ups on women who've had third degree tears (and worse, presumably) and some don't.

The consultant I saw mentioned that I'd be referred to him in a future pregnancy, presumably to check whether I could have a vaginal birth, and I said I'd definitely not be living in the area and is it routine to get that sort of treatment wherever you live? Apparently not. It's a shame you don't get the sand level of care across the board.

Anyway, I'd only worry if you felt that you were having issues with continence. If you feel that you've healed well, you probably have smile

Jenny123G Wed 14-Nov-12 22:57:56

Hey guys I had a third degree tear to but was never offered a scan? Should I have been?

hiviolet Tue 13-Nov-12 20:30:43

Hi, yes, been there done that! I was 12 weeks postpartum and despite having further appointments with the consultant I wasn't subjected to the bum probe again!

jammic Thu 08-Nov-12 08:13:34

Glad it went well.

griphook Tue 06-Nov-12 20:43:06

Thanks, it wasn't too bad! Just a bit uncomfortable, but in the scheme of everything it was fine. Thanks for reassurance.

jammic Sun 04-Nov-12 22:54:06

I've had a scan as well. It's not the best thing in the world but it's over quite quickly. Maybe less than 10 minutes. It wasn't comfortable but it wasn't painful. Hope you've healed well.

artifarti Sat 03-Nov-12 13:20:42

griphook, I also had a 3rd degree tear, 7 months ago and have had the famous scan! Yes, it is a bum scan but honestly not as bad as it sounds. They will ask you to lie on your side and ask you to do various clenching things with a probe inside you (bit uncomfortable but not painful). They may also inflate a balloon in your lower bowel to check how good you are at feeling 'full'. They will also take photos. All took about 15 mins and whilst I haven't chalked it up as one of the highlights of my life so far, it was actually fine grin. Deep breaths.

griphook Tue 30-Oct-12 20:12:25

Had 3rd degree tear six months ago and I'm due to have a scan to see if its heal correctly.

Has anyone had this done. How it is done. Tmi but is it a bum scan?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now