How far dilated did you get with just a TENS?

(138 Posts)
BoysBoysBoysAndMe Sun 28-Oct-12 20:34:12

Got one for ds3.

Not used one before.

Just curious how effective women have found them?

How dilated were you on getting to hospital when you've used one at home?

Welovecouscous Mon 12-Nov-12 18:00:14

She sounds adorable smile

vigglewiggle Mon 12-Nov-12 18:00:11

Lovely smile

MadameJosephine Mon 12-Nov-12 17:28:49

We've named her Jennifer, she's 6lb 13oz of sheer gorgeousness

vigglewiggle Mon 12-Nov-12 14:33:58

Have you picked a name?

MadameJosephine Mon 12-Nov-12 14:32:06

Thanks ladies. Feel fab, had an epidural last time, pushed for bloody ages and had a nasty tear and a pph. This time couldn't have gone better, just a teeny bit of squealing from me as the head crowned lol (well it does smart a bit!!)

Welovecouscous Mon 12-Nov-12 14:26:25

Well done mj!

Tens babies arriving thick and fast smile

vigglewiggle Mon 12-Nov-12 14:05:17

Congratulations MJ. That sounds mercifully speedy!

MadameJosephine Mon 12-Nov-12 14:02:57

8cm! At 8.30 this morning! Then had some gas and air and delivered DD at 10.01! Still high as a kite :-)

tazmo Sun 11-Nov-12 22:15:01

I went 24 hrs. Had complications but would defo recommend!!!!

AndiMac Sun 11-Nov-12 22:09:47

Well done, congratulations!

vigglewiggle Sun 11-Nov-12 19:26:33

smile

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Sun 11-Nov-12 19:23:47

Thanks ladies....ds3, no name yet blush, 7lb 13oz.

All worth the effort grin

vigglewiggle Sun 11-Nov-12 18:01:51

Congratulations! It sounds like you did an amazing job! Full details please - name, weight, gender etc...

Well done!!

Welovecouscous Sun 11-Nov-12 13:44:40

Congratulations and thanks for an amazing thread op! smile

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Sun 11-Nov-12 08:46:00

Thanks everyone for your replies. Have me hope that there was some use in the TENS.

I used it, alongside gas and air and got to 10cm!! Got to 4cm, just with tens.

Hideous back to back labour. Much worse than ds2 who was also back to back.

Was begging for more pain relief but I was being transferred to a different hospital so they wouldn't give me any!

Anyway, all over now. And I would try tens again so it was worth it and I did find it beneficial.

Thanks for the advice.

SarryB Sat 10-Nov-12 16:00:51

2cm - then I arrived at the hospital and got in the pool.

Don't know if it really helped or not. I found it quite hard to control while having such painful contractions I couldn't stand up.

DeekeyDoo Fri 09-Nov-12 22:09:41

All the way with dc2 smile Don't know how much it helped or not but was a good distraction.

rogersmellyonthetelly Thu 08-Nov-12 22:31:25

With my first I kept it on until I was about 5cm in the hope that It might actually start working at some point, with my second, and I admit, heavily influenced by my first labour, I ripped it off and threw it after about an hour of painful contractions, as it just annoyed the hell out of me.
I tried it again six months later for hip and back pain, and it had no bloody effect on me then either. Looks like I'm just the awkward bugger with strange nerve endings (actually that's probably not far from the truth, apparently people with hypermobility are resistant to certain types of pain relief, and I'm definately an awkward bugger)
Still, for the majority of people it seems to work, so ignore me please and buzz away.

babyphat Thu 08-Nov-12 20:37:10

8 with first then G&A when arrived at hospital. Prob sane with dd2 but didn't have an internal - took it off on arrival at hospital to get in pool, dd born within 45 mins or so.

frumpet Mon 05-Nov-12 17:00:56

Only used it for about ten minutes with DS2 , homebirth , moved onto G&A quite quickly , think i was about 8cms when i tried the tens , moving around alot and swearing had worked up until that point ! Personally didn't like it , perhaps if i had tried it earlier it might of been more useful . DS was back to back , not sure if that would make any difference though.

R2PeePoo Sun 04-Nov-12 12:26:39

Yes test it first. In the booklet that came with mine I was recommended to try it at 38 weeks +, just once.

I remember lying on my bed, completely relaxed and happy and the feeling lasted for ages. Gave me something to hold on to during labour a few weeks later!

Also if you can get some medical tape, the stuff they use to hold down the edges of big dressings (Boots sell it in the First Aid aisle) then you can use it to stick the pads down if you get sweaty and they begin to peel off. Don't forget spare batteries!

Make sure you read the manual carefully and know how to work it too. I had a few practices and also practiced grabbing it in the dark and pressing the boost button, which came in very handy as I refused to have lights on during DS's birth and built myself a little cushion nest to labour in.

Penny2012 Sun 04-Nov-12 10:28:36

I didn't find it helpful and wish I hadn't bothered to hire it. The whole idea grossed me out!

Min77 Sun 04-Nov-12 08:18:05

I had the best intentions but didn't get it out of the box ... once I was in the zone I didn't want to have anything except for rescue remedy

MrsWajs Sun 04-Nov-12 03:22:28

I didn't find it helpful at all to be honest, more of a distraction than a pain reliever but then perhaps that's the point? I didn't keep it on past 4cms but that did take me 12 hours to achieve!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now