If you had a water birth in a hospital or MLU, what did you wear in the pool?

(25 Posts)
AmeliaEarhart Wed 10-Oct-12 23:27:09

Frivolous question, I know. (Just trying to distract myself from crampy sensations and worrying that I don't remember what early contractions actually feel like...).

Was thinking of packing my maternity tankini top and one of DH's baggy t-shirts in case I want to get out and wander around.

halloweeneyqueeney Wed 10-Oct-12 23:29:36

was in too much pain to change into swim wear (even if I'ld brought some, which I hadn't!) so just got down to pants and vest and went in in that. I'ld think that if you're still spritely enough for outfit changes you prob wont need to be in the MLU yet???

Wetthemogwai Wed 10-Oct-12 23:33:37

Pants and vest here too and my only nursing bra stupid me oh for not bringing another one. Top hospital bag tip, bring spares!!

kdiddy Wed 10-Oct-12 23:39:17

I got in the pool wearing a black bikini top and black pants. I immediately realised how bloody stupid that was and lobbed the knickers over the side. Kept the biking top on throughout but not for any particular reason, I just sort of forgot I had it on after a while.

kdiddy Wed 10-Oct-12 23:39:56

BIKING top? FFS. I do not endorse wearing high-performance sportswear in a birthing pool.

Haribojoe Wed 10-Oct-12 23:42:17

Nothing except a hairband blush had plans for bikini tops etc but when it came to it I just wanted to get in the water, wearing something just didn't cross my mind!

whatsoever Wed 10-Oct-12 23:53:37

I'm taking a vest and a big nighty but might wear nowt depending how I feel. Big nighty handy anyway in case the pool isn't available I guess.

libbyssister Wed 10-Oct-12 23:59:28

NOTHING! I arrived at the MLU fully dilated and when the midwife asked if I wanted to use the pool I don't think even she expected me to just whip everything off and just get in the water blush I just wanted to be in there experiencing some sort of relief!

I kept my bra on. It was just the bra I happened to have on so not a nursing bra needed for afterwards. I felt more supported & comfortable wearing it rather than being completely naked.

CharlotteWasBoth Thu 11-Oct-12 00:21:18

Nothing. Didn't cross my mind to faff around with clothes. Meant the new baby pics had to be cropped tho blush

cherry219 Sat 13-Oct-12 14:28:02

Nowt. I had been wearing a nightie with nothing on underneath it (I was v hot and sweaty, and had peed all my pants!) so I whipped it off, climbed half-way up the stairs of the pool, stood there in all my glory to put my hair up in a bun, then dove in. Not literally, of course ;)

Biscuitsneeded Sun 21-Oct-12 20:49:38

DS 1: Nothing. Honestly didn't enter my head to wear anything. Midwives don't care! With DS2 he popped out while the taps were still running, so after the placenta etc MW asked if I fancied a dip anyway since she'd now filled the pool? I got in straight away, no clothes again, and it was great!

stargirl1701 Sun 21-Oct-12 20:57:14

The top half of a maternity swimming costume.

CharlotteMcC Sun 21-Oct-12 21:02:20

Initially just a tankini top, then nothing. Then I realised I bloody hated the birth pool and got out to give birth on dry land grin

joanofarchitrave Sun 21-Oct-12 21:03:36

Nowt.

Zwitterion Sun 21-Oct-12 21:05:12

Nothing. Couldn't stand the feeling of anything next to my skin by that stage.

Wallace Sun 21-Oct-12 21:08:18

Nothing

TalesFromTheCryptoFascist Sun 21-Oct-12 21:24:02

MLU here, gave birth in the pool to DS wearing nothing at all. Didn't worry about it, the midwife didn't bat an eyelid.

My mascara was everywhere by the time he popped out though!

SquidgersMummy Mon 22-Oct-12 10:48:43

Nothing - you seriously won't care - was so desperate to get in the pool I crawled naked on all fours with eyes shut across the corridor with poor DH trailing behind with G&A. They had put a screen up (corridor between the two rooms) but I would have happily crawled through the carpark. The absolute bliss of getting in the pool is indescribable. Really really helpful.

Good luck - it will be fine xx smile

The3Bears Mon 22-Oct-12 10:55:00

I wore a tankini but tbh I just wanted to wear a vest top as when I arrived I was already 8cm so really couldnt be bothered to change but dp helped me. Good luck, it really is fab I had ds2 in the pool and it was the best experience of my life so calming and relaxed smile

SoupDragon Mon 22-Oct-12 11:01:16

you seriously won't care

This irritates me beyond all imagining. People are all different so yes, she may indeed care. Just because you didn't doesn't mean others don't.

I wore a maternity support vest from Mothercare and had a dark dressing gown hanging about for afterwards/if I needed to get out.

Although I was at home, not hospital.

AmeliaEarhart Mon 22-Oct-12 15:24:45

Well, the cramps were the very early stages of labour, and DD arrived 10 days ago. She was born in the pool at the MLU, and I wore my tankini top. I was 6cm dilated when I was admitted, so just about 'with-it' enough to care and get changed.

Water birth was just lovely, a million miles from the horrors of DS's birth 2 years ago.

Wallace Mon 22-Oct-12 15:57:28

Congratulations!!!!

Pootles2010 Mon 22-Oct-12 15:59:30

Aw thats lovely! Congratulations, glad it worked well for you.

whatsoever Mon 22-Oct-12 16:19:56

I gave birth on the 14th (was in hospital until yesterday hence the long gap). Started off in the pool as per my birth plan and I just got in in the nud! I was really surprised, I thought I'd want to wear a vest but when it came to it the MW & OH asked me what I wanted to wear and I was already climbing the steps to get in.

Didn't stay in for very long, but that's a different thread I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now