Maintain privacy with a swim skirt at water birth

(106 Posts)
Thinkmummy Tue 02-Oct-12 14:08:01

Just wanted to pass on my findings to other mums to be wanting a waterbirth. Now I probably won't care about covering up in the middle of labour, but just in case I wanted something to wear in the birthing pool. I'm going with my maternity tanking top and this swim skirt I found on sports direct

www.sportsdirect.com/ocean-pacific-swim-skirt-ladies-350028

. It has no crotch so ideal for the job and a bargain at £5 they do cheaper ones for £1.99 if you're not fussed about colour. The waistband in stretchy so have just gone a size up from what I normally am. Hth x

sweetkitty Tue 02-Oct-12 14:28:54

I'm a naked birther too. I remember with DD2 practically running upstairs between contractions which were about a minute apart, stripping, lying on the bed and shouting at the MW quick examine me now. Spent most of that laburnum on all fours on my bed pulling the headboard off.

Dignity and childbirth do not belong in the same sentence. Honestly you will not care, speaking as the woman who got a Brazilian a week before the birth so I would look nice, I'm sure the doctor who did the stitch up job cared.

I say buy it if it makes you feel more comfortable. In the event you'll probably end up stripping off but for a fiver, why not? I ended up naked except for my bra, and that only stayed on because I couldn't figure out how to get it off in the short gaps between contractions. Never in a million years did I think I'd want to be starkers! Good kick with everything OP

jeee Tue 02-Oct-12 14:29:51

When I gave birth I liked to make sure I was covered right up until the pushing bit. I was as high as a kite on G & A, and I still made sure my very large T-shirt was well pulled down.

Hope you have a fabulous birth OP.

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Tue 02-Oct-12 14:30:01

You know what, I thought I wouldn't care about people seeing me naked - am generally not that inhibited. But in the event, I did - was fine until towards the end when things got a bit panicky and more people came into the room. I felt really exposed and vulnerable, and it affected my contractions too, they started tailing off.

So get your swim skirt if you think it might help - you may not give a shit, but it's good to have options.

There's nowt dignified about childbirth. Its hard to maintain dignity when people keep fidding about in your chuff to see how dilated you are.

Your nether regions are on display and a skirt would just get in the way. I didn't have a waterbirth and just wore a Tshirt on top as I felt chilly in the delivery suite.

Hope it all goes smoothly smile

ProphetOfDoom Tue 02-Oct-12 14:32:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Tue 02-Oct-12 14:35:47

Where would it go? On your head? confused

As an aside, those OBEMs where the mothers wear bikini tops - do they do that because of the cameras being there, or is it normal these days?

DilysPrice Tue 02-Oct-12 14:38:36

People at your birth normally fall into 3 categories: your DP, who has presumably seen it all before, midwives and obstetricians who will be peering up your fanjo on a regular basis, and the lovely lovely epidural man, who you won't want to see your fanjo but won't be there for a waterbirth anyway,

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Tue 02-Oct-12 14:38:47

x-posts.

Still want to know if bikinis are normal these days though.

Does anyone remember that special birth DRESS someone was peddling a while back?

If it makes you feel any better, I remember learning in history at school that in pre-revolutionary France, the Queen had to give birth in front of the general public

Fizzylemonade Tue 02-Oct-12 14:41:28

I had a beautiful maternity nightie that I planned to labour in, got to hospital, it all went very pear, got rushed to delivery suite, was wearing just a normal maternity top & bra and nothing on my bottom half.

Was bleeding so had a maternity pad put between my legs by my lovely midwife whilst I was on gas and air.

Had a male midwife insert a clip onto ds1's head as they kept losing the trace but actually he was in distress. Then as I didn't progress/baby in distress a whole wrath of people came into the room with the consultant. I was on all fours with my arse in the air grin

Eventually had emergency c section, picture this, midwife shaving me bald, DH removing my toe nail varnish whilst I hastily signed the consent form all happening at the same time.

My wish of a serene water birth never happened. Ds2 was elective c section.

Ah dignity, what is that again?

Pickles77 Tue 02-Oct-12 14:42:12

Oh my days, I panicked for months about this and my bikini line. The truth? I ended up naked, then with a hospital gown. I did not give a shite, I really didn't even care when the consultant I found really attractive saw me, I cared even less when my birth partner informed me exactly what he'd done down there. Talk about ice breaker.
Seriously you will just want it out!!

Fizzy, I'm really curious, why did he remove your toenail polish? Is there a medical reason or did he just decide it looked a bit chipped? grin

noblegiraffe Tue 02-Oct-12 14:50:15

Before giving birth it was a long queue of people interested in between my legs. Then I had a c-section where apparently they shoved a suppository up my arse and I didn't even know about it!

Then after the birth there was a long queue of people interested in my boobs (helping establish breastfeeding). No one cared about my bits any more but I understand for those who had tears, regular displays were still required.

You hand your dignity at the door on the way into the hospital and pick it up again on the way out. It's bizarre but that's how it felt.

Am I the only one wondering what this crotchless swim skirt has actually been designed FOR? Surely people don't swim in them?
Admittedly I've not clicked on the link as I'm at work and am afraid of what might happen!
Incidentally, I also think OP should get this if it makes her feel more comfortable. Each to their own and all that.

noblegiraffe Tue 02-Oct-12 14:51:17

I think they remove nail/toe nail varnish as the colour of your nails is an indication of your blood circulation when you're having a c-section.

noble - perhaps you should nip over to the "tiny tips for giving birth" thread to suggest that it could be quite a good idea to remove nail varnish at around the "packing the hospital bag" stage?

GoblinGold Tue 02-Oct-12 14:56:20

I've water birthed. In the nip. By the time I was in the water I didn't want to be bothered by clothes, but if it make you more comfortable go for it. The midwife will need to be able to see how dilated you are and whether the baby's head is crowning so she may need to pull up the skirt if it gets in the way.

I'd be inclined to take a sarong that you can tie round you for after you get out of the pool. I did have one but forgot due to being bombed on G&A and endorphins so ended up naked until I got my shower.

Pandemoniumwearspurpleshoes Tue 02-Oct-12 14:57:16

For my water birth I was planning to wear a tankini top, and a long t-shirt to protect my dignity (yep, first timer). I did wear the tankini top, but wasn't the least bit bothered about having nothing on my bottom half until I'd given birth and left the pool, the pain and emotion just took over.

The real loss of dignity for me was the stitches - legs akimbo in stirrups, at least four midwives/students involved, I found it more traumatic than the birth! And there was a suppository involved too.

Enjoy your water birth op, I had a great experience smile

NorthernGobshite Tue 02-Oct-12 14:58:16

Sorry, just laughed out loud at idea of privacy during childbirth!!

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Tue 02-Oct-12 14:58:48

LetThere, I imagine they are worn over swimsuits.

They'd hide your bikini area out of the pool, and once you were in the pool nobody would be able to see much anyway.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Tue 02-Oct-12 15:00:13

How would it stay on over a labouring belly though?

noble - aha! And I agree that is a useful birth tip for the other thread

Asmywhimsytakesme Tue 02-Oct-12 15:00:50

Really don't worry - water pools are great. I went in to the water naked and gave birth naked.

No need to have any worries because at the time - you really won't care!

xx

CailinDana Tue 02-Oct-12 15:01:57

Having fabric floating around in the pool would be really annoying I think. Starkers was the only way for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now