Nice little tips - please add and share!

(211 Posts)
PixieCake Sun 30-Sep-12 15:05:38

I heard a nice little tip the other day that I am going to try to do:

- sleep with your newborn's blanket in the last few weeks of pregnancy, so that it smells of you when you wrap the baby in it at the hospital

I wish I had done this last time as I found it hard to cuddle my newborn for a number of different reasons so she was in a cot in a hospital blanket.

Anyone got any other easy little things to add that don't take much effort but are a nice idea?

Another one I heard was to ask for the room to be silent when the baby comes out so that the first thing it hears is its mothers voice. Not for everybody I know, but please share any other suggestions x

sleepybump Mon 15-Oct-12 07:05:31

Some lovely tips here (this will be DC2 but still a lot of this stuff is new ideas to me!)

Bounty bags were just given to us by the midwives on the ward after, no mention of signing up to anything!

Damn right, Perfectstorm.

perfectstorm Sun 07-Oct-12 17:18:52

Halloweeny the cheeky cow! shock

Notcitrus I planned to tell her to fuck off. Honest, I did. I'm usually really good at it, too! But after 3 days of labour I just gave in to make her shut up and go away.

I may sign myself Minnie Mouse, residing at Stop Your Junkmail Drive.

Tell you what, THERE Is a campaign I'd like MN to get behind - stop Bounty being allowed to exploit exhausted women who've just given birth. If they're that keen for us to get the bags, they can give them to GPs or midwives for the post-birth checks, and signups to marketing crap be opt-in.

halloweeneyqueeney Sun 07-Oct-12 15:50:29

I'm gonnna make a laminated "no Bounty" sign.. but doubt that'll stop em from waking me!, last time she said "I have to take your details otherwise people will think you're trying to scam extra bags" err fuck off I don't want any of your bags!

notcitrus Sun 07-Oct-12 15:07:55

Just tell the Bounty woman to fuck off. Saves your valuable sleeping time. There's nothing in the packs you need. If she tries saying you won't be able to claim child benefit otherwise, tell her that is a lie - you can claim online or get the paper form from the midwives.

If she then pretends to ask her superior if that's ok, but actually hides on the other side of your glass door for a min before returning with it, laugh lots and threaten a written complaint.

I gave an old email address & changed my mobile no by 1 digit.

Sorry to whoever's no I gave out: I was flummoxed by bounty. blush

perfectstorm Sat 06-Oct-12 21:50:16

It really makes me laugh that Bounty are currently advertising for women to harass us, grab our data and flog us an expensive snapshot, and they're actually calling the bags their "infamous Bounty packs..."

Dear Bounty: in case you ever read this? Infamous does not mean exceptionally famous. It means famous for being exceptionally evil.

Who knew. There can be truth in advertising. grin

elizaregina Sat 06-Oct-12 21:29:06

good tip re bounty....

the whole bounty thing makes me un easy - it felt so horrid when was accosted last time, the way they come at you as though you have to do it - .....its a gov thing etc...really sinister.

perfectstorm Sat 06-Oct-12 20:47:20

Invent an email address and a fake name for the Bounty woman.

They say they'll tick a box so you get no spam - in my case, they lied. She wouldn't accept my "no, I'm not interested" and kept insisting that I could opt out of the spam, so in the end I gave the info with that agreement just to make her go away. I then had so much postal junk the floor was covered every day for weeks, and I had to change my email address altogether after several years of it before.

I'm normally very assertive with salespeople (and they just want your marketing info, as new mothers are worth a FORTUNE to direct marketing companies) and I didn't want a bag full of crap - and I knew you could get the child benefit form online, so her repeated telling me "the bag has your child benefit form in..." especially annoyed. But after labour, birth and with my newborn by my side, in the end I gave her the info she was arguing for just to make her go away. This time around I plan to invent the lot. They will be selling a bouncing email address and an imaginary postal one.

It makes me angry that the hospitals let them in, TBH. I know they get paid a cut for the harvesting of our data, but it would be hard to imagine a more vulnerable group.

scaredmummy2B Sat 06-Oct-12 19:14:43

If you have older children take a ready wrapped present from the baby as a hello and thank you for being my older protective sibling makes them feel special, helps them bond with baby from the word go and keeps them quiet while others coo over the baby x

Princesslovelyboo Sat 06-Oct-12 10:39:14

If you phone has a camera all the better, if not take one in then you may feel less inclined to have them by the ridiculously expensive bounty photo lady who prays on your hormones

I'll add a nice little tip: don't forget your phone charger so you can keep up to date with MN call your mum when you're on the Post Natal ward.

And don't forget your slippers!

Brockle Sat 06-Oct-12 10:32:11

What is nice about this thread is that you pick things up that you haven't thought about before. I have had two babies and pregnant with no 3 and moist toilet wipes have never crossed my mind. Genius!

I don't like how political this has all got but I have had two intervention free hospital births. The second was particularly calm and relaxed. Birthing ball, lights down low with minimal MW intervention. Out in six hours and could not fault it. Will now back away from the thread.....

Princesslovelyboo Sat 06-Oct-12 10:21:08

I second the moist toilet tissue, especially after that first scary poo, very soothing!

LoisLame Sat 06-Oct-12 10:17:15

Feel I should add something now I've delurked.

Most useful things I had in my hospital bag were bendy straws for labour and moist flushable toilet wipes for after - they are now top of my list!

LoisLame Sat 06-Oct-12 10:13:22

y y to princess

Princesslovelyboo Sat 06-Oct-12 09:32:28

What happened to our lovely light hearted sharing tips thread?? I was enjoying that!

perfectstorm Fri 05-Oct-12 23:31:33

But the problem with diverting resources from 3 units down to 1, incidentally, is I doubt quite that number (2/3) would prefer homebirths to MLU ones, and if you remove alternative beds then you are forcing them into it. Which is the Dutch model. Offering women a choice of a home birth is pretty different to their being insufficient beds for anything else.

The reality is that we have too few midwives, too few midwifery places, and a climbing birthrate. It's a problem. The answer isn't, really, to shuffle the choices to those that suit some women, and not others. That isn't solving anything, just altering the unhappy constituency.

perfectstorm Fri 05-Oct-12 23:24:32

That's terrible, absolutely agree. In all 3 of the areas I know well, home births are on request, no problem at all unless you have genuine health issues that make that problematic for mother or baby.

I used to live in the East, and my lovely CMW set out that she supported any choice at all as long as the person was happy to talk it through, so she could be sure there were no misconceptions. My birth plan set out that if I was overdue/breech I wanted an elective section rather than an induced delivery/vaginal birth, and she said she agreed that that was what the evidence indicated, and wrote it up as being with her full support. And I knew a lot of people who delivered at home, too. Also know one who had an elective section because she was phobic of natural birth, and that was quite calmly and supportively arranged.

Currently live in the West Country and again, I know a fair few people who've had home births. If it is being denied on anything but medical grounds then that's unacceptable, I agree, and it's also contrary to NICE guidelines too, but I don't think there's any need to blame MLU per se, as they do suit many women beautifully. It's the lack of genuine choice that is appalling - whatever that choice may be.

halloweeneyqueeney Fri 05-Oct-12 21:13:13

Nobody I know in this area has ever got an NHS home birth, never met a single one who has even in passing! met lots that WANTED one though, the ones that wanted one either ended up in the MLU because we're told "women like it" hmm or else paid at least 3k for private MWs to attend (obviously not an option for everyone)

there are in reality only 2 choices or, CLU or MLU. most of the resources go into the three MLUs, what's wrong with leaving the MLU attatched to the CLU in place, and diverting resources (in the absence of more MWs which is ideal but lets be real!) from the stand alones to HB so that there are THREE choices rather than two?

perfectstorm Fri 05-Oct-12 20:57:04

Curious about the "rail roading" - does your PCT deny home births to women? How do they do that? It's pretty shocking, if so, I agree.

perfectstorm Fri 05-Oct-12 20:56:07

I think you're conflating two issues: funding for women's choices when giving birth, and the benefits or otherwise of MLU.

No woman should be pushed into giving birth in a way that doesn't suit her. But as many women really like MLU as a model, and they incidentally save the NHS money, then as long as it remains a choice, and we don't go the Dutch route and force women to birth the one way the state deems cheapest unless it's actively dangerous (home births, incidentally - provision of the birth setting costs a lot more than midwife salaries, given you still need midwives and 1 to 1 care in that setting) then I don't see a problem.

I wouldn't like any birth setting to be forced on anyone - I believe quite strongly that my own confidence in my care and setting helped me have a happy, easy birth (though obviously the biggest contributor was luck). And I wouldn't personally like to give birth without high-tech medicalised care close to hand. But people really are evangelical about how wonderful the two stand-alones locally are, so why argue against those options being available? Why shouldn't women have a range of choices, so they can work out what suits them most?

halloweeneyqueeney Fri 05-Oct-12 20:23:55

(it was actually shagmundfreud who started this by the way by.. I would like to see more tips personally)

halloweeneyqueeney Fri 05-Oct-12 20:21:20

" if funding and midwife cover is at issue - why privilege your own preference as a universal"

I'm not, didn't you see in my post that there are THREE MLUs here? many women that would have preferred a HB were rail roaded into one or other of them

I'm not against all MLUs just stand alone ones

Yes they need more midwives, but MLUs require less midwives per women so instead of increasing midwife numbers they are increasing MLU beds as its a more "efficient" way of getting women to pop em out!

perfectstorm Fri 05-Oct-12 20:05:29

So obviously they need to meet the demand for that, and as far as I'm aware no-one is stopping anyone from having a home birth are they?

In our Trust (since moved) nobody could be denied a home birth, but plenty were a MLU one. That was what was closed when midwife coverage was low.

The answer isn't closing MLU, IMO. It's more midwives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now