Nice little tips - please add and share!

(211 Posts)
PixieCake Sun 30-Sep-12 15:05:38

I heard a nice little tip the other day that I am going to try to do:

- sleep with your newborn's blanket in the last few weeks of pregnancy, so that it smells of you when you wrap the baby in it at the hospital

I wish I had done this last time as I found it hard to cuddle my newborn for a number of different reasons so she was in a cot in a hospital blanket.

Anyone got any other easy little things to add that don't take much effort but are a nice idea?

Another one I heard was to ask for the room to be silent when the baby comes out so that the first thing it hears is its mothers voice. Not for everybody I know, but please share any other suggestions x

Grumpla Sun 30-Sep-12 21:00:56

Lavender oil and a couple of drops of carrier oil (almond / olive / whatever) rubbed into the small of your back can help get contractions going again if you are beginning to slow down.

Eat. And if you really can't eat, sip a cold sugary drink.

catgirl1976 Sun 30-Sep-12 21:01:37

Afterwards - put sanitary towels in the freezer

Zwitterion Sun 30-Sep-12 21:12:58

I had a third degree tear with DC2, and the midwife suggested freezing a condom full of water, and sitting on it (not like that!). I never did try it as there were no condoms in the house funnily enough, but it sounded like a good idea.

Yy to lavender baths. Camomile is great too. Also great for bathing sore nipples.

bealos Sun 30-Sep-12 21:18:02

Gosh, what great tips.

I agree with:
- cheap cotton pants, not paper pants
- taking food / drinks you like into hospital
- flipflops for the shower
- your own pillow
- get into whatever position you feel like, not where it's easiest for the midwife. I quote the midwife from my friend's birth: "if you're standing the baby could drop on the floor so you'll need to get on the bed". I really wanted to say, "Well get underneath her then!"
- the fact you bleed an awful lot more than I ever expected after the birth. Many large sanitary towels are needed.

I'd add:
- having someone else there who's not your dh. A female friend or mum who's been through it all before.
- Topping up the painkillers after the birth too. I think I moaned so much they stuck something up my bottom. It can continue to hurt a lot after the baby's come out as your uterus contracts down + also if you've had an episiotomy it can be very sore. In fact, even if you haven't. confused

Good luck!!

GoldShip Sun 30-Sep-12 21:20:05

Clary sage oil is brilliant for aiding contractions, but please avoid this whilst pregnant, just use it during labour!

Rose oil can do the same but not as strongly. But rose is brilliant for calming emotions and as an antidepressant.

Oh and remind those midwives that they aren't 'delivering your baby', they're helping you to birth your baby

herhonesty Sun 30-Sep-12 21:27:29

Have a c section.

Just kidding.

pookey Sun 30-Sep-12 21:40:05

My stitches needed repairing after first dc so would say don't soak in the bath if you have had stitches it prevents the wound from healing well. Just pee in the shower every time once home and have lots of cheap face cloths for patting dry a bit of air drying also a good idea when practical!

Don't have a suppositryto help with first poo put up your bottom just before leaving hospital or could be a disaster!

I briskly walked around the hospital room for 3rd baby to deal with contractions lying down was agony. However if baby is facing wrong way for delivery and you have spent all your pregnancy lying on your left side try lying on your right side for a bit. I had agonising contractions doing this with 2nd and 3rd labour but both times baby turned.

pookey Sun 30-Sep-12 21:41:02

Goldship funny you mention rose oil, With 2nd and 3rd babys I went a week or so over then had a bath with a couple of drops of rose oil in and told the baby it was time to come out and both times had baby next day!

GoldShip Sun 30-Sep-12 21:53:15

I've always said rose oil is amazing and in your case it's worked brilliantly! Mega expensive though!

pookey Sun 30-Sep-12 22:00:50

£15 for about 1/5 of a bottle. The guy in the shop thought I was mad when I said I was going to use some in a bath but then he has probably never been induced grin

have a student midwife with you as they will be able to monitor you. they will also want to stop with you and as they are supernumary to the ward will be a supportive prescence in the room (mine was brill!!)

chocolateteabag Sun 30-Sep-12 22:04:27

When you are told you can start pushing, really try to push as hard and as long as you can. I remember thinking if I didn't push as hard, it wouldn't hurt as much. My midwife must have read my mind as she told me that it would take longer if I didn't "try".
I got put off an epidural by a midwife saying I'd probably need more stitches, as I came out with just one maybe she was right.
You bleed so much afterwards, when I got off the bed to go and shower, it was like I'd chucked a bucket of blood on the floor. You need a pack of maternity wipes a day for the first week or two. And also recommend some primary big knickers rather than paper ones.

Anonymumous Sun 30-Sep-12 22:06:41

Buy a watch with a rubber strap. I spent hours chewing on mine through contractions, and there is not a single tooth mark on it. It really helps - it got me right through to the pushing stage, when I finally plucked up the courage to ask the scary midwife for gas and air! grin

mameulah Sun 30-Sep-12 22:08:40

GoldShip - How come you don't recommend phoning family and friends straight away?

horsebiscuit Sun 30-Sep-12 22:17:22

Make sure your DH knows the difference between your hospital bag and your work handbag.
<baby wore a hospital towel for first day of her life but at least I had my Oyster card and blackberry to hand>

scaredmummy2B Sun 30-Sep-12 22:31:10

Lol horse thats so funny

when it comes to the pushing bit, don't forget to take your tights off

Startailoforangeandgold Sun 30-Sep-12 22:42:11

sittinginthesun is absolutely right get DH to practice rubbing the small of your back just above your bum.

I think it's where the nerves to the legs branch off.

Babies squash them, makes your legs hurt and it impossible to move. Seriously crap. Ended up with an epesiostomy (sp) because I couldn't get off my back.

DH rubbed my legs, which helped
Having had sciatica since I've discovered the small of the back is better. Seems to stop the nerves sending their pain signals.

Managed to keep moving about having DD2 and was able to crouch to deliver her, much better.

wildpoppy Sun 30-Sep-12 22:44:26

Marking place

FaintingGoat Sun 30-Sep-12 23:03:12

My tip: Visit your MIL and get her to say (in as condescending a voice as she can muster): "Of course he / she won't be born today!" DD was with us four hours later.

CheerfulYank Sun 30-Sep-12 23:18:55

Marking my place! I've done it before but it's been five years and I'm a bit nervous to do it again in May.

Scroobius Mon 01-Oct-12 00:22:52

Marking a place too, I'll be revisiting in march hopefully!

Want2bSupermum Mon 01-Oct-12 01:14:21

I had a CS but my friend showed up her her son's toilet seat insert and some old ice packs in socks she had previously used for her cooler. She said it enabled her to sit after delivering his sister. Sounded like a good idea to me!

I had DD here in the US and they glued my scar. After 24hrs I exposed it to air as much as possible. The lacation consultant told me to do it to help calm the area down and it did.

Charleymouse Mon 01-Oct-12 01:48:45

Pixiecake, like yours but in reverse. After your little one has worn there babygro and it smells of them keep it with you and smell to help bring your milk in or if you want to express, also look at a photo if you can not see your baby.

Buy a thermal mug so you can have a warmish cuppa.

Ditto a drinks bottle with sport lid to fill up in the night to drink whilst you are feeding, take it and pop it where you will feed baby in the night means you will not spill a pint of squash over baby in your sleep deprived state.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 01-Oct-12 04:35:10

During labour get DH to massage your sacrum, big movements from very bottom of your spine up over your saddle bags, also kneading your buttocks - not for everyone but found if he applied pressure to my shoulders alternately with pressure on sacrum through contractions it really helped.

Focus on out breath, really exhale as long and low as you through each contraction.

If you can bear moving, sway through your contractions

<disclaimer hippy homebirther!>

afterwards keep tea tree oil & lavender next to the jug to add to water to pour over you when weeing, also put witch hazel (though tea tree worked for me and didn't sting) on maternity pads - second get well fitting big knickers to hold everything in place!

Have a mini changing station set up by the bed when you need to change at night - small tupperware box with nappies, cotton wool, squirty bottle with fresh warm water to squirt on cotton wool (or just wipes if you're not precious!), disposable changing mat so you don't have to get out of bed at all (know where your bin is to aim well!)

Talking about the oils immediately thrusts me back to that first week or two. So so sad my baby making is over!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now