Adominal muscles not closing 8 weeks after birth of DC2

(7 Posts)
Chunkychicken Sun 18-Nov-12 23:40:50

My muscles have separated after my 2nd pg. The leaflet I have says a 1/3 of women get this with their first pg and it usually resolves within 6-12wks post birth, but doing gentle abdominal exercises is a must.

Be very careful about lifting, intense coughing, certain twisting movements, as your abs help support your back too.

Oh and pelvic floor exercises are needed to help pull the abs back together too.

NAR4 Sun 18-Nov-12 16:38:56

I had this very badly after my fourth child. Dr ignored my concerns though until I had private physio, which wasn't able to completely fix it. It has now been decided that I need an operation to repair them, after the baby I'm pregnant with is born. Mine has stayed at 4 fingers apart (if thats any help) even after doing loads of physio.

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Sun 18-Nov-12 16:12:56

I was just about to suggest Tupler Technique but can see PP already suggested it. Definitely worth making time to do exercises (ime the tupler technique exercises were more do-able but obviously its what works best for you).

There is a UK website that gives advice/sells exercise guides and DVDs for the tupler technique called Tummy Tribe andthey have been very helpful in the past. (I'm not affiliated in any way btw grin )

Good luck, hope you get it sorted.

chroniclackofimagination Thu 15-Nov-12 03:11:26

My Dr ignored me when I said my tummy was still sticking out, so glad yours acknowledges the problem. It's called diastasis recti and is very common after pregnancy and especially after only 8 weeks! physio should be able to help you and there is plenty you can do to heal it, just make sure not to make it worse by doing ANY situps or any jack-knife movement like using your tummy muscles to sit up from lying down in bed. Roll on your side and push up from your elbow.
Google tupler technique or Mutu system for more detailed info,

I had it quite badly after my first pregnancy and managed to close the gap. Now about to have number 2 and right back to the beginning! Good luck.

joymaker Sun 07-Oct-12 20:52:17

phew OodHouse, glad it can all work out even after quite a long time smile

OodHousekeeping Thu 27-Sep-12 21:55:29

I had separation after dd2 but it wasn't checked for until years later. When I had dd3 I had Physio & it helped a lot even though I was crap at making time to exercise

joymaker Thu 27-Sep-12 19:53:19

I had an 8 week check (4 weeks ago) by my GP and my abs hadn't yet healed together. I'm to go back in a couple of weeks. If there is no improvement she's going to refer me for physio. Just wondering how usual this is, if anyone else has experienced this and what the outcome was.

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now