Transverse lie -28 weeks. Time to panic?

(15 Posts)
shinyblackgrape Wed 29-Aug-12 21:44:35

I'm expecting first DC and 28 weeks tomorrow.

I had my 28 week midwife app today and the baby is lying in a transverse position. No surprises there as has been at every single scan to date (we've had 4). It's a very long baby - DH is 6foot6. I'm only 5foot5 so I'm wondering if it's lying that way as it has more room. Midwife was very nice and said not to worry - yet.

I wondered what she meant so consulted Dr Google and see that a natural birth is basically impossible. They can try and turn the baby but have read horror stories about torn placentas and death etc.

Given that the baby has never lain downwards, do you think he will eventually move or should I resign myself to a cs?

leannac Wed 29-Aug-12 21:46:34

My dd was transverse from 22 weeks to 34 weeks, when she flipped into good position, then by 37 weeks was posterior where she stayed. I think they move about quite a bit so early on so I wouldn't worry yet.

QTPie Thu 30-Aug-12 08:14:09

Far too early to tell.... A lot can happen (naturally) by 34/35/36 weeks (by which time the position is less likely to change).

Saying that DS was breech at 28 weeks and still breech at 39w 1d (when delivered by ELCS).

Do you research (on ECV, transverse VB and ELCS), but try to stay open minded.... I was booked for ELCS, but if DS had turned the Op would have been cancelled and I would have had a VB. so you need to stay flexible and go with it...

sparklekitty Thu 30-Aug-12 09:31:30

Mine was transverse and breech up to 32ish weeks. She's been head down for a while now (36 weeks) and there is def no more room left for her to move. She is a big one too (DH 6'5" and I'm 5'3!) I wouldn't worry, you've got a while for bubs to move yet

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 30-Aug-12 09:33:46

I was transverse at this stage with both of mine. They both moved of their own accord once the room got a little less and I went on to have 2 normal deliveries at our local MLU.

Don't panic yet and keep drinking the Raspberry Leaf Tea smile.

SCondry Thu 30-Aug-12 15:25:05

I wouldn't worry.

I'm 31w5d and my DS was transverse this morning and head down this afternoon smile

According to midwife, no one gets worried much until about 36 weeks when they start to have less room to rotate.

Two days before DS was born at 31+5 he was transverse, breech and cephalic at different times. He even shifted during a presentation check by one kf the medical students.

When I went into labour, he got himself into the right position, even though he still had a lot of space to flip about.

You have lots of time for things to change, so try not to worry. Spending time on your hands and knees is good as that encourages the baby to fall into the right position.

shinyblackgrape Fri 31-Aug-12 21:00:50

Thank you all - feel a lot better now I've read your posts.

Still lots of time as you say.

DD was breech until 37wks, don't worry. Get a ball and lean your head and arms on it while on your knees and roll yourself around a bit, it's really comfy when you find a good position and can help move the baby. Also sitting on the ball and bouncing can help and being on your knees with your head and arms on the floor is good.

This dc was transverse two weeks ago (25 wks) but I'm almost definite she has gone head down now as I've done these exercises when I can. Here is some more information about how to correct transverse lie.

Like everyone else has said it's still early so don't worry.

PebblePots Fri 31-Aug-12 21:41:03

Hi, check the website spinning babies. Consider if chiropractic treatment may help you, look into the Webster technique.

I had chiro to help balance up my back which would allow my back to back baby to move more easily. She eventually moved during labour.

OddFrog Fri 31-Aug-12 21:45:34

Despite planning a 'natural' home birth with DS, he turned breech around 28 weeks and for various reasons I had to have a CS. In the end, we had a wonderful CS birth. Not what I expected at all, having resigned myself to a horrible medical procedure.

Make a plan for CS too, in case DC doesn't turn. Think about what's important to you and ask for it. I thought I'd be disappointed with the birth as it wasn't what I'd wanted at all, but it worked out fine for me and the CS team were lovely. Recovery was reasonably quick too!

Hope DC goes head down soon, but if not, don't worry too much.

RightBuggerforit Fri 31-Aug-12 21:52:18

Ds was tranverse until 36.5 weeks, and turned by himself the morning i was due to go into hosp and have him turned. Dont worry for a good few weeks yet, lots of time. Xx

milk Sat 01-Sep-12 14:49:57

I had tranverse at 34 weeks. Yesterday at 35+3 it was confirmed the baby's head is now down smile

mayhew Sat 01-Sep-12 15:14:47

As the baby gets bigger, after 34-35 weeks, its head becomes pretty heavy which usually corrects transverse lie by gravity.

PollyIndia Sat 01-Sep-12 22:51:05

I am 36+3 and just been told baby is transverse having been told he/she is head down for the last 4 mw appointments.
So now frantically doing spinningbabies stuff - we will see. Need to see consultant I guess to understand process.
I reckon get onto the spinningbabies stuff - you have loads of time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now