ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Disadvantages to elcs

(13 Posts)
Chislemum Thu 30-May-13 18:04:52

ELCS - recovery takes longer, birth was a dream though.

Pinkflipflop Mon 27-May-13 14:32:57

No disadvantages in my opinion!

My first baby was an ELCS as baby was breech.

PeaceAndHope Sun 26-May-13 03:40:57

I honestly can't think of any!! It was the best decision I ever made.

The VB was the worst, most traumatic experience of my life. The ELCS was healing.

I was discharged in 3 days, recovered in 2 weeks and was having sex within 4 weeks.

MyDarlingClementine Wed 22-May-13 16:24:58

I love my hospital stay which came as a shock to me! I could not even get a private room.
Everything was so much calmer this time round, I established bf really well too. I found it great for bonding, I have another DC.
It was all calm, walking out of hospital wasn't fun, nor the first few nights...and I worried immensely about infection, but all fine now, months down the line.

Tadpoley Wed 22-May-13 14:07:34

143b, thinking about a second, and I definitely see having to stay in longer as a disadvantage. I think it becomes more pertinent when you already have children, in terms of childcare, not wanting them to feel abandoned (not rational I know) etc. Plus staying in hospital can be quite rough- I was in for 3 nights, I elected to stay for the 3rd night to get more breastfeeding support, but it is very lonely, and really tough to get any sleep or rest as you are on a ward full of crying babies, including your own. My vbirth had some complications, but the chance to leave quickly is definitely tipping me that way in terms of a second. Saying that if I could go back and make my first an elective C then I would possibly head that way instead!

143b Thu 16-May-13 18:51:24

Hmmm, very interesting topic, as I am looking at pros and cons of both vb and CS at the moment.. The strange disadvantage I came across on nhs website is "you may have to stay longer in hospital". I would not see it as a major disadvantage though, comparing to having loads that can go wrong with vb.. But maybe I am wrong

monniemae Thu 16-May-13 17:28:11

Boggler sorry to resurrect thread but did your ELCS go as planned? Facing same thing at moment x

Boggler Tue 24-Apr-12 20:54:39

issimma just because you've been referred don't expect to get an elcs without a fight. I have a fibroid that is looking likely to obstruct a natural birth and I want an elcs to be avoid the baby being stuck, my consultant though thinks I should try natural delivery - I disagree and it took 25 minutes of me convincing him that I knew what I was facing with regard to recovery, risks etc before he agreed to elcs. I quoted the new NICE guidelines and he rolled his eyes and stated that it's not just up to me. However if you feel that it's what's you want stick to your guns but be prepared to have to have to argue a bit and do your homework beforehand so that they know that you're making a fully informed choice. X

Ushy Fri 20-Apr-12 19:39:48

I've had elcs and was much better than the 'normal' birth but there are risks if you have more than 2 or 3 caesareans so not a good idea if you plan a big family because you can get serious problems with the placenta. So no probs if you only want up to two children

MsMoo Fri 20-Apr-12 19:28:48

There is a really useful book which goes into a lot of detail about the pros and cons of both modes of birth (using all the latest research), and it is particularly balanced about caesareans www.tiskimo.com/birth

I found very few downsides too, the main thing I found difficult was finding snatches of time to nap after number 2 child and that was nothing to do with the CS - all to do with having a toddler around.

Evidence that you know what you are getting into is crucial to convincing them, but also check out www.csections.org/?p=111 the NICE guidelines definitely making it harder for a hospital to flatly refuse your request these days.

Good luck.

Vajazzler Fri 20-Apr-12 14:25:52

I have had 5x LSCS and the only downside i really found was that i couldnt drive for up to 6 weeks.
As oohlordylordy said there are many risks to mother and child. It is major surgery and there are many things that can go wrong.

This link lots of info

oohlordylordy Fri 20-Apr-12 14:03:16

IMHO (and I've had 2) there aren't downsides to an ELCS if it is what you want.

But, You do need to acknowledge that there are risks - it's abdominal surgery, you will need drugs, may have limited movement after the op, be at risk of infection etc., There can be problems with the wound / scar.

If it definitely what you want, then I would suggest you say that you are aware of the risks, but don't see them as disadvantages, merely risks which need to be mitigated.

I had two lovely ELCS (first one not medically indicated, the second was but I would have had a CS anyway). Lovely experiences and I wouldn't change a thing about either of them...

issimma Fri 20-Apr-12 13:17:52

I know why I want an elcs and the mws referred me to the consultant without batting an eyelid (good sign?).
I want to be prepared and show that I know the downsides to the op. Does anyone have a handy crib sheet they could send me?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now