Indent between 2 inches above c-section scar

(19 Posts)
bertie007 Sun 31-Jul-11 10:58:41

Hi. Am worried as have a strange indent 2 inches above c-section scar where my belly ought to be rounded. I am worried it will stay like this. What did they do to me to cause this? I am not overweight (very sick during pregnancy) and had my baby 13 weeks ago. I have started doing some gentle 'pull in the belly button' type exercises which haven't changed this indent thing. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? The indent means that as soon as I eat and get a bit of belly it just sticks out so much as protrudes out over this indent thing!

thursday Tue 02-Aug-11 10:21:05

not sure i can picture what you mean, is it parallel to your section scar? or vertical?

bertie007 Tue 02-Aug-11 20:09:54

parallel.

bertie007 Tue 02-Aug-11 20:11:07

It sort of sucks in where it should stick out.

sugarsnappea Wed 03-Aug-11 18:42:07

I had that, I didn't lose it until I lost my baby weight AND got my abs back again (about a year?)

PrincessScrumpy Wed 03-Aug-11 21:12:31

Sometimes muscles can split - could it be that? Hard to tell without seeing it. I'd ask my gp when I next went but it's still early days for your body to be recovering. x

bertie007 Thu 04-Aug-11 08:36:50

There is a gap in the muscles but I had that with my first two children (normal delivery, not c section) and didn't have this indent, it is def something to do with the c section surgery.

Sugarnappea, what sort of exercises did you do, can you explain? Thanks!

diyqueen Thu 04-Aug-11 12:06:06

I sort of have this but for me it's more that the area round the scar is still sort of swollen and lumpy, and then my belly's still a bit stretched and loose higher up, so I sort of have a flatter bit between my tummy and the lumpy scar (I'm also quite skinny otherwise). It looks worse if I wear jeans as the waistband digs in and accentuates it. I'm hoping that the scar will get less hard and lumpy over time which would make everything look better.

sugarsnappea Thu 04-Aug-11 21:01:47

Hi, I used to be an acrobat so had incredibly strong abs - once upon a time. After my baby was born I did yoga and pilates about three times a week and then started aerial training again after about 6 months but only one day a week. Each of these activities focus on core strength and whole body strength not specific targeting of your abdominals. I prefer plank position held or with arm or leg raises (trickier) or plank walking or dish rocks over crunchies because they are more functional exercises and are positions one needs in the air, noone ever really needs to be strong in a curled position in fact our abs switch on when we reach back or stretch out. I may not be making any sense sorry, just think crunchies are rubbish...
good luck, you will get your body back - eventually.

bertie007 Sat 06-Aug-11 21:47:10

What is the plank position, please?

sugarsnappea Mon 08-Aug-11 20:32:14

oh, sorry - plank is held push up position with a straight body and straight arms, focus on your abs squeezing back to your spine. Make sense?

RSM1 Tue 09-Aug-11 09:03:37

Preparing for a CS in two weeks time, I ran across this C-panty product. There is a picture if you click on "C Panty in Action" in the top right corner. OP, is this the type of indentation you have? Does anyone with CS experience think these pants would be useful? I've read that the scar may feel better with a little pressure applied to the area.

bertie007 Fri 12-Aug-11 21:20:59

I suppose the panty thing might help, but if also imagine costs a few bob. Massageing the scar is the best thing. It will be tender, do it as hard and for as long as you can bear a few times a day.

liljay13 Mon 25-Nov-13 14:35:21

I know this is a really old thread, but I have this exact same thing from my section 4 weeks ago and I'm freaking out slightly. I've struggled to find any info anywhere about this. Did yours eventually go away? My GP said it looked like my internal stitches are too tight and pulling my abdominal wall inwards, and that surgery might be the only way to correct it if it doesn't resolve when the stitches dissolve.

DIYandEatCake Mon 25-Nov-13 16:02:45

Hi! I replied to the op a couple of years ago (as 'diyqueen') - mine did get better but took a long time (about a year / year and a half for the swelling and lumpiness and indent to reduce significantly). It's early days for you, just get back to a good diet and exercise after a few months and hopefully things will improve, you have a lot of mending to do so take it easy and try not to worry too much (easier said than done I know, could have cried when I looked in the mirror for quite a long time so I can sympathise)

liljay13 Mon 25-Nov-13 17:07:58

Thanks for your reply DIY, and the sound advice. It's good to hear that it did eventually get better!

AllBoxedUp Tue 26-Nov-13 22:35:31

I have this and am quite interested to see others do too. DS is 3 now and I am 16 weeks prehbsby you can still see it. Is it just cosmetic or can it cause any problems? I always thought it.might be muscle related rather than surgical.

liljay13 Thu 28-Nov-13 13:35:12

I have been told to wait 3-4 months for my stitches to dissolve and then get a referral to the gynae clinic at my local hospital if it hasn't improved. I have pain all around the area, and it feels tight when I walk or twist, so not just cosmetic for me, although the appearance does really upset me. I am only a few weeks post op, so still crossing my fingers. No improvement at all so far though.

liljay13 Thu 27-Feb-14 13:40:52

4 months out and things have improved slightly. The area has softened and I have lost a little weight, so it doesn't look quite so circus freak show now. The dent is still there though. I had a follow up appointment at the hospital this morning. It wasn't that helpful. I was told to put bio oil on my hideous huge crooked scar and to do crunches. Very helpful. They did put my mind at rest about the pains though, and confirmed that there wasn't a hernia. Going to start to really go for it now on diet and exercise to try to flatten my tum. If things still look repulsive by a year then I will seriously consider saving for cosmetic surgery!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now