Facebook - to actively consider reporting underage users?

(90 Posts)
grumpypants Fri 02-Apr-10 09:58:42

because i am irritated by the persistent attempts of friends' children (aged 11 and younger) to befriend me. I keep ignoring it, they keep trying. I don't talk to them about 'me' in real life; why wd i do so on the internet? Then, yesterday i found you can report them to facebook and get their accounts removed. I am v tempted...

Duritzfan Fri 02-Apr-10 10:10:12

Lol.. I know what you mean ...I have been "requested " by a few of my children's friends and have had to email their mums and tell them that I wont be accepting..

Just block them - then they cant find you in the first place smile

runnybottom Fri 02-Apr-10 10:13:02

I would. If their parents aren't sensible enough to keep them safe, someone else might as well.

Saltire Fri 02-Apr-10 10:20:15

If I knew how to report them I would, my mad cow ex neighbours 6 year old son is on there, even looking at his profile picture you cans ee he's under age

grumpypants Fri 02-Apr-10 10:22:02

i did explain to one mum, but she seemed to see it as 'my problem'. i might block them, but its v tempting to just get rid of the accounts and then dd (11) won't be able to say but so ans so has one...grin

grumpypants Fri 02-Apr-10 10:28:04

saltire according to facebook, this is the form - http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php.?show_form=underage
but that's copied from an article about it.

lincstash Fri 02-Apr-10 10:38:37

Why does it bother you? Ignore them. What harm do the requests actually cause you? Its not like there knocking on your door every evening or sending you letters. Its just electronic spam. Why does it get to you? Are you not bigger than that ?

grumpypants Fri 02-Apr-10 10:41:49

good question, i think that part of me is a very straight laced play by the rules type if i'm honest, and it really irritates me 1) that they are on there and 2) that they wd think i wanted to have them privy to my grown uo chats/ friends/ relationships.

meltedchocolate Fri 02-Apr-10 11:08:59

I agree it can be annoying and also am a play by the rules type person (why do parents think it is ok to teach a child that breaking set rules is ok?!) BUT I wouldn't report them. If their parents let them then it isn't my place to 'sort' it and i just dont accept the invites. Facebook isnt the place for young children IMO but if they are there i wont be 'grassing' on anyone unless they are causing serious trouble.

usualsuspect Fri 02-Apr-10 11:11:02

Just block them? I wouldn't report them ..some children just like to play the games on there

mountainmonkey Fri 02-Apr-10 11:25:33

I have my 10yo nephew as a facebook friend- he only has school friends and family on his friends list and his parents monitor him pretty closely, though to be honest I'm surprised they allowed it.

Some of his school friends who I've never met tried to befriend me -I declined just on principle because I don't add anybody that I haven't met in RL and thought it was quite shocking and potentially dangerous that a child would send friend requests to adults that they don't know.

profscooter Fri 02-Apr-10 11:26:43

This is really tough, I've been very tight on what our kids can do on the internet but the problem here is partly the schools I think. Our 11 year old comes home and pretty much all of his same-age friends are on Facebook playing Farmville and such like, it's an unstoppable train, to exclude them would potentially cause them to be seen as outsiders and unable to share in playground chat about the games. I have drawn the line at our 9 yr old daughter though as she's a bit too young to really understand how it all works properly and she doesn't have the same peer pressure in her class in any case. I have mentioned the other kids' apparent 15+ etc. computer game playing at parents evenings, and don't get me wrong, it's a good school, but I'm not sure how much effort is put into educating kids (and their parents) about such things. Facebook really need to invent a "Facebook Lite" version for under 13s which can be upgraded to a full account later on.

Merrylegs Fri 02-Apr-10 11:31:46

We had a letter home from DD's school yesterday reminding us that Facebook has a lower age limit of 13 and all pupils under that age must disable their facebook accounts immediately. I wonder if they will check?

grumpypants Fri 02-Apr-10 11:37:41

we had the same sort of letter recently. maybe the school should just report the underage users? not sure how that would work. tbh i think the internet is quite scary - a few clicks can take you into dodgy territory and i don't want my 11 y/o making herself accessible on it at the moment.

roisin Fri 02-Apr-10 12:05:42

I would deffo report them. I've told my boys they can't have accounts until they're 13, at that time they must have me as a friend, and they must have full privacy settings.

They say all their friends are on FB, but I've never found any of their mates on there. So if they are, they're not using their real names.

differentnameforthis Fri 02-Apr-10 12:09:19

I have done. Someone I know had her kids on there, 5 & 7! Trouble is, she just re registered them with a different email addy!

ra29needsabettername Fri 02-Apr-10 12:11:55

yes quick get the children off the computer. facebook eats children.

BritFish Fri 02-Apr-10 12:52:50

i was lucky enough that facebook wasnt popular among their friends until my DD's were both overage anyway.

i think you should report them. there's all this fuss about children being unsafe on social networking sites, so sites create aage limits to try and prevent young naive kids getting on them, but parents let their kids anyway!
i would never have let mine. its like having a mobile phone. you dont NEED to have all these electronic devices as such a young child. mine had them when they went to secondary school because they were walking to and from school on their own.
id prefer my children to make face-to-face connections with people before they need to use a screen.
[and im an internet addict, i love computers and all that is digital]

parents complain that companies arent doing enough blah blah. forgetting that in their own homes, THEY control the media input.
its called turning the fudging thing off.

BelleDeChocolateFluffyBunny Fri 02-Apr-10 12:59:37

My 11 year old has an account, it's just for his family though (aunts/uncle/granny) and a couple of his friends. I wouldn't allow him to send friend requests to my friends, I monitor who is on his account, he doesn't have any personal info, there's not even a picture of him on there. He just plays farmville.

mitochondria Fri 02-Apr-10 13:45:39

I don't understand why people are on Facebook with their real names, to be honest. That way anyone can find you. Children's friends, your boss, your irritating family members that you'd rather didn't know what you were up to.....

Although I might just be saying that because I'm a teacher - as none of my students can find me I won't have to offend them by turning them down!

I have befriended a few of my friend's children. Its up to their parents not up to me. I wouldn't hurt their feelings by ignoring them. I actually thought it was very sweet that they wanted me to be honest.

Eurostar Fri 02-Apr-10 14:06:21

mitochondria - Why real names? I haven't looked at the t&c's of FB for a while but when last I looked it was actually a requirement to have your real name and you could be reported and banned for not doing so. Different from Myspace and other networking sites which had screen names. FB started as networking for people within their college alumni groups.

I hate the way FB tries to put public info out there and forces you to constantly close your pages down rather than having full security settings as basic and then you change them as you want.

Having locked down all my security settings I joined a new network and then found that FB had automatically opened up my info to the the whole network. Have also noticed that they have changed the search view again so that, when a non-friend looks at your profile, the pages that you are a fan of are shown and cannot be hidden.

I wish FB wasn't such a convenient way of staying in touch with friends from all over the world as it feels mostly like another chore to constantly check that they haven't played with privacy settings.

I do feel that FB is trying to keep info open as possible to appeal to advertisers and doesn't care really at all about the security of its users. They know it's full of underage kids too and I would consider reporting underage users, I've seen underage users being targetted by randoms.

I also (and this is going to annoy lots here probably) think parents are stupid and naive to put their DCs' pictures up as their profile pictures or put up family shots as profile pictures. Do people realise that absolutely any person, registered or not can copy that photo and keep it? It's like parents are invading their own childrens' privacy. It would also help weed out underage users if parents didn't confuse matters by using DC pictures on their profile.

I just changed my D.O.B. to 1920 to see what that does to the targetted advertisinggrin

lincstash Fri 02-Apr-10 14:11:23

theres a huge court battle about to take place with the EU.

When you close your account with FB, you would imagine they delete all your info?

No they dont. They never delete it. Once you pasted stuff to them, actually getting them to destroy it is along uphill battle. You can close your account and you will still be able to find stuff about yourself months later.

This amounts to an infringement of the Data Protection Act, and theres going to be a test case to force FB to actually start destroying data in closed accounts.

MrsStig Fri 02-Apr-10 14:21:33

But, mitochondria tht is exactly why I am on FB!

Annoying relatives pop round and see me in RL, so it can't be any owrse on FB. And obviously, I know anything I put on there can be googled etc...I guess I have a boring life, though!

salbysea Fri 02-Apr-10 14:48:21

mitochondria, I use FB to keep in touch with people from RL as my friends and family are all over the world, what would be the point of NOT using my real name?

OP its tricky, if it was a close friend I might be tempted to add their child (but hide most of my profile from them) to keep an eye on their account for them IYKWIM even though I think it is completely unacceptable to allow your child to have a FB page underage, its teaching them that its fine to break societies rules and ignore advice of adults like teachers. You have to LIE to sign up an under age child. But I do see the point that its better for them to have an account that you know about than a secret one set up at a friend's house that you cant monitor - however that only excuses the parents of 9/10/11/12 year olds IMO, NOT the parents of the 5/6 years olds I've seen on there

grumpypants Fri 02-Apr-10 15:00:47

i just find it odd that altho my rl friends would, i presume, be shocked if i texted their dcs to say i had a hangover/ whatever, they are happy for them to be party to all sorts of stuff posted on my FB page.

SixtyFootDoll Fri 02-Apr-10 15:07:02

My DS is 10 and he has a FB account.
I set his password and his privacy settings to the highest.
He is friends with family members who live abroad and with is school friends, he only adds people he knows in RL and I log into his account daily to check on what he is doing.

I refuse requests from is friends to be my friend as like the OP I dont want to share things with them that I share with my friends.

I think it is safer for him to know how to use the internet safely rather than ban it.
I know there is an 'under 13 rule' but that is prob to cover FB's arses than anything else.

southeastastra Fri 02-Apr-10 15:28:28

my nephew's cat has it's own facebook page.

nappyaddict Fri 02-Apr-10 15:41:37

I don't have a problem with children being on Facebook as long as all the privacy settings are set to "Just friends", they don't have a profile picture and they only have family as friends. This is what my cousin has done with her 6 year old cousins who only want to use it for Farmville.

2old4thislark Fri 02-Apr-10 15:56:58

I have my young nieces and my cousins daughter as my Fb friends, though they are under 13. I am enjoying seeing my nieces trip to Australia though photots on FB atm.

I would accept but adjust you privacy settings (click on customize and type in their name) so that they can't see your staus updates etc. My 17 year old son did this to me which, tbh, I prefer.

Don't report them, no point as they will sign up again.

I would report them.
I don't care if they are only on there for Farmville, it is against the rules and as such parents should be more able to say no than many seem to be.

What sort of example are they setting by allowing their children to blatantly break the rules wrt Internet safety?When another issue arises where parents want their dc to adhere to 'the rules', their authority is seriously undermined.

Why on earth does a 6yo need a Facebook page? It just seems ludicrous.

ifItoldyouIdhavetokillyou Fri 02-Apr-10 16:12:15

I guess the message is that FB is meant for teenagers not grown adults.

GenevieveHawkings Fri 02-Apr-10 16:26:35

As far as I'm concerned Facebook is so fucking inane it would only appeal to children anyway.

I mean ask yourself, quite frankly who would Farmville appeal to besides children?

2old4thislark Fri 02-Apr-10 16:29:25

Farmville? My daughter's Uni friends have the best farms.....need I say more?

SixtyFootDoll Fri 02-Apr-10 16:41:51

Agree withthe Farmville and the other villes, LOB

mitochondria Fri 02-Apr-10 16:44:01

I have lots of real friends and family on mine, too. I tell them what I'm registered as. No problem.

I think it's just teacher paranoia. I'm imagining students, or their parents, looking me up. Not that I have much on there apart from photos of my children, but still.

There have been several threads on here from people who have been complaining about things on the Facebook pages of their children's teachers or TAs.

ilovesprouts Fri 02-Apr-10 16:44:57

a few of my friends kids have fb too i have a few but only to send gifts through farmville i only add the ones i do know think i hve 6 or so pals dc etc ...

farmerjones Fri 02-Apr-10 17:06:36

11 and 12 year olds dont bother me too much. but the under tens seriously get on my nerves.

fluffles Fri 02-Apr-10 17:54:50

i wouldn't report an under-age user who was quietly keeping to him or herself and only using it to contact family and close friends.

but, if i was getting friend requests from under-age kids i didn't know very well then i think i would report them - for their own safety - sending a friend request to a relatively unknown adult is not safe fb behaviour.

dustythedolphin Fri 02-Apr-10 18:09:08

It would be a bit mean to "report" them IMHO. I get friends requests all the time from people I don't know - all you need to do is click on "ignore" and they will go away.

FB has plenty of ways to protect privacy and a child's account can be set up by a parent so that they can play Farmwille etc but in a way that it isn't visible to the public and no one can directly request their friendship.

FB guidelines are just that - they are not the law

I have several under 14 FB friends who are the DCs of family and close friends and they keep themselves to themselves and generally just play Farmville etc

AAs long as they are not putting themselves at risk and they have set their privacy ssettings correctly, what harm are they doing

TBH I think playing Farmville is probably marginally preferable to watching American cartoons on TV - at least its not 100% passive absorbtion entertainment

dustythedolphin Fri 02-Apr-10 18:13:48

agree Fb is a great way to keep in touch with friends - I have lots of rellies in Oz and friends I have left behind in the UK and FB is great for keeping in touch.

TBH it makes me giggle that people who have virtual conversations on MN with ppl with made up names would call FB "inane" - pot, kettle, black? grin

smad Fri 02-Apr-10 18:18:14

Dont use facebook so much then it wont get on your nerves - get a life

clousseau99 Fri 02-Apr-10 18:52:32

Lots of schools are having problems with underage children using facebook - in fact every school I visit has this issue. It never fails to shock me how many of these profiles are set up by the parents themselves. I noted with interest one post suggested a facebook lite set up but what would stop an adult with ill intentions from lying about their age to set up an account so they have access to the very people they are targeting. I think parents are incredibly naive in letting their child have an account. I would say 13 is the very minimum age that a child could have a profile and use it sensibly and carefully. I think it is worrying that children are asking adults that they know to be 'friends'. People that damage children are often the people they know otherwise how would they have access to them in the first place (two of the recent high profile cases were instances where the children knew the people who went on to hurt them - they were neighbours boyfriends). Facebook should be a lovely way to make friends but sadly it is abused and that is the world we live in. I would definately speak to a parent that I know if their child tried to add me as a friend.

ComplimentaryUpgrade Fri 02-Apr-10 20:32:33

I have an alter ego on facebook...

ComplimentaryUpgrade Fri 02-Apr-10 20:38:03

I think someone should comment on this.

PerArduaAdNauseum Fri 02-Apr-10 20:55:07

I have a fake name for facebook - people I know know who I am. Other people can't find me - because frankly if I wanted to stay in touch with the people I went to school with I would have gone to one of the reunions [meh].

So report the underage kids - why not? They're breaking the code, and actions have consequences...

Ingles2 Fri 02-Apr-10 21:35:17

well my 10 yr old has a fb account but I know the password and only I am allowed to accept friend requests etc.
My parents live abroad and my Pil are elderly so this is a great way for them to regularly keep in touch.
He has had lots of friend requests from primary age children and I've refused them all much to his disappointment.

GenevieveHawkings Fri 02-Apr-10 22:32:08

DustytheDolphin said:

"TBH it makes me giggle that people who have virtual conversations on MN with ppl with made up names would call FB "inane" - pot, kettle, black?"

Well, at least you could argue that it's possible to glean some sort of useful information and advice from your interaction here but for adults to be sending gifts to other adults on Farmville - well, that's in a whole new sphere of inanity (that's probably not a word at all but you get my drift).

PerArduaAdNauseum Fri 02-Apr-10 22:35:32

Inanity is a perfectly proper word Genevieve - both in itself and in context {grin]

ravenAK Fri 02-Apr-10 22:37:58

My 5 year old has an account, which he uses responsibly & which we monitor.

Discussed it not long ago on here actually - I'll see if I can find the thread rather than repeating my arguments on this one.

ravenAK Fri 02-Apr-10 22:40:50
nappyaddict Sat 03-Apr-10 00:01:18

Raven Does he have a photo on there and is it just family he talks to on there or do any of his friends have an account as well?

nappyaddict Sat 03-Apr-10 00:10:35

Oh and what about Facebook chat?

Also does anyone know if parental blocker things stop DC being able to view inappropiate photos that someone may have on their profile page? Cos not everyone has their privacy settings so that only friends can see their photos.

ravenAK Sat 03-Apr-10 00:12:56

Hello again! smile

He does have a photo up, yes. It's one of him sitting in a cockpit at a local aeronautical museum.

None of his friends have accounts to my knowledge. I'm aware of being in a minority as a parent who thinks it's sensible for a young child to have a FB account!

Dh is in a band who have a very active friends/fans presence on FB, so photos & videos regularly get posted by gig-goers - that's ds's main interest.

He also enjoys chatting to his uncle & my best mate, who's the closest thing he has to a godmother.

He isn't allowed to send friend requests, & if he gets any, I vet them. Usually it'll be a family friend, which I'm fine with.

ravenAK Sat 03-Apr-10 00:16:04

Re: FB chat - he's occasionally used it to chat to BIl or my friend. He also uses Skype at MIL's house to talk to SIL, who's working abroad atm.

The ground rule is 'no chat, with anyone, unless mummy/daddy/grandma have said it's OK'

jasper Sat 03-Apr-10 00:17:57

why are you bothered? Ignore them. I have lots of kids on my page. I never say anything they can't see. If I wanted to I could change my settings to stop them seeing my stuff but I LIKE being in touch with my kids' friends

nappyaddict Sat 03-Apr-10 01:16:08

Raven I don't have a problem with it either as long as the parents are vetting it and there are clear rules in place about what is and isn't allowed. If DS asked in a year or so I would let him I think. I would want to find out first if you can make your profile picture visible to only friends and also that he wouldn't be able to view anyone else's inappropriate photos.

Merle Sat 03-Apr-10 07:59:01

I tend to agree with Raven on this. Neither of my two (11 & 8) have accounts but the way we get round this is that I have a few of their friends on my FB. So far it has worked really well - this obviously won't last for ever; the older ones will go off to secondary school in September and I fully expect to be de-friended then.

Maybe my life is a bit dull but there's nothing I put on my FB that I wouldn't be comfortable letting under 10s see. I hear rumours of FB being full of drunkeness and swearing, but not round here.

A few months back one of my 10-year old friends had joined a group which was ridiculing another child we all knew. I was able to speak to the victim's parents and the group was removed very quickly. Just as in real-life, there are benefits to adults keeping an eye on what young people are up to.

123AH Sat 03-Apr-10 08:27:50

If a parent is irresponsible enough to allow their underage child to join Facebook, REPORT the account and get it deleted. Simple.

grumpypants Sat 03-Apr-10 08:56:54

Clarification; I don't use facebook to play games, just to catch up with friends. Some of their status updates relate to being fed up with ex-husbands/ being hungover/ trips we have planned etc. I wouldn't talk about some stuff in front of my friends' kids, so i don't see why they shd be privy to it on adults' pages. I also am annoyed that their parents (presumably) think I wd want to have them on my page. Whatever Farmville is, what's wrong with kids using club penguin or the cbbc website?

tatt Sat 03-Apr-10 09:43:45

I'd report any underage child I came across, whether they asked me to be a friend or not. The overage ones I haven't met I either ignore or explain that I don't add people I haven't met.

Facebook is used for bullying and the best way to teach children safe use of the internet is to teach them that such sites are only for the mature. 13 is far too young an age limit for many children.

Most parents who claim to "monitor" their child's internet use have no idea how adept children become at flashing up a "safe" window and hiding their other activities. Allow them on such sites at 7 and you can't easily go back when they get older.

GenevieveHawkings Sat 03-Apr-10 11:14:56

Yes, Facebook can be used for bullying and yes Facebook can be used by paeodophiles to "groom" children. All that can happen in real life too in situations where you might think it entirely appropriate for children to be.

Let' get some perspective here. If as a parent you responsibly monitor your children's use of Facebook then you or they shouldn't encounter problems.

As for reporting under age members to Facebook, do you honestly think that the powers that be at Facebook really give a flying fuck about kids being on there? Get real. It's bit like drugs in prisons. Everyone knows they shouldn't be there but equally everyone knows drug use is absolutely rife in prisons. A blind eye is turned to it because it suits the powers that to not do otherwise.

Facebook is absolutely choc full of underage profiles. A brief perusal of the site bears that out. The powers that be at Facebook are just as aware of that fact as we all are. I'm sure that they'd delete a profile on request, just to placate someone, but the vast majority of people aren't remotely bothered by children being there and even positivly encourage it so I expect they get few complaints off adults. Most parents I know have no issues whatsoever with their children having Facebook accounts. They monitor them sensibly and responsibly and the chidren get fun out of them.

All that the powers that be at Facebook are interested in is the success of Facebook and that is assured by making it as popular as possible and used by as many people as possible.

So save your time and energy and spare us your righteous indignation. If you're really that bothered about only being able to correspond with adult friends exclusively then I suggest you deny the friend requests of any children who try to add you, or if you don't feel you can do that (probably because your principles go out of the window when you're worried you might offend your friends if you reject their little Suzie or Johnny's friend requests) simply stick to e mailing your friends privately, speaking to them on MSN or 'phoning them.

Fimbow Sat 03-Apr-10 11:21:33

My 6 year old is on it, solely for Petville, doesn't use it for any other means, is unsearchable, has an abbreviation of his name and is controlled strictly by me. He has dh, his sis and me as friends and that is all. He needs me to log him on it.

grumpypants Sat 03-Apr-10 12:18:32

'(probably because your principles go out of the window when you're worried you might offend your friends if you reject their little Suzie or Johnny's friend requests)' yeah, that's right genevieve . What a strange assumption.

nappyaddict Sat 03-Apr-10 17:35:54

Fimbow If you (or dd or dh) post on his wall does it show on your profile? Cos on my profile it says Nappyaddict has posted on X's wall. If someone else clicks on that link it will take them to their info page (but not their wall if the privacy settings are on fully)

porkypoo Sat 03-Apr-10 17:59:13

I get requests from my DS friends, I accept them and then discreetly a week later delete them!! wink DS is 13 now but, we allowed him to join at 12 and set his privacy setting so that he could send out friend requests, not recieve them. Only just changed it very recently.

A friends DD set up and account without permission and my DS told me about it.....that was v. awkward!!

chicaguapa Sat 03-Apr-10 20:15:50

I saw in the paper today that Hollie from Britain's Got Talent has a facebook page and she's 11. It's in the paper as she's been getting messages from paedophiles! No-one questionned why she's on it!? hmm

tatt Sat 03-Apr-10 20:48:03

people become offensive when they know they haven't an argument.

Very few parents actually "monitor" their child's internet use thoroughly. They might be horrified if they did.

I have reported one child today for inappropriate use of Facebook and have no problem reporting others if I come across them.

jasper Sat 03-Apr-10 22:43:28

go on 123AH .Shop me grin

shockers Sat 03-Apr-10 23:25:32

If you report someone, do they know it's you who did it?

tatt Sun 04-Apr-10 08:13:14

no - reports are anonymous. Not easy finding out how to report someone though. reporting problems

shockers Sun 04-Apr-10 11:05:58

There's a little 'report this person' bit at the bottom of each friend request.

GenevieveHawkings Sun 04-Apr-10 12:19:32

tatt said:

"Most parents who claim to "monitor" their child's internet use have no idea how adept children become at flashing up a "safe" window and hiding their other activities."

Well, not all parents are quite as naive as that. Most switched on, responsible parents are quite well aware of how many windows a child might have open when online. Only someone who is completely computer illiterate would not, surely?

I think that any parent who would buy their child a computer without having a clue how to use it themselves to a competent standard is an irresponsible parent. All local authorities run free courses to help people become computer literate so there's absolutely no excuse. Any parent who allows their child unfettered access to the internet without knowing how to proerly and responsibly monitor their use of it is totally irresponsible.

People seem to forget that before computers and mobile phones came along there was far, far more scope for children to keep the things tht they were up to secret from their parents becauswe they would only know as much as their kids chose to tell them. At least nowadays parents who are so inclined can snoop on what their chidlren are up to far more easily by checking their computers and phones. I, and many of my peers, managed to find out all about sex and porn and stuff like that without the aid of a mobile phon or a computer all those years ago, And guess what, kids were also bullied too way back then.

Also, not an odd comment from me at all Grumpypants. You must be pretty naive if you don't realise that there are an awful lot of people out there who care far more about saving face than holding on to their principles.

Hells73 Sun 04-Apr-10 13:26:25

My daughter is a year below the FB age limit. She has an account, I monitor who her friends are and I know her password. Some of her friends (and their mums) are also listed as my friends. I don't have a problem with daughter's friends requesting to add me as most of the time it's for the games available or to pass messages from their mums.

I think it's down to the parents to decide but also to be aware of what's going on. We have spoken many times to our children about the dangers of the internet. Some of the FB groups about really should be monitored more as they are not suitable for children, even over the age of 13.

PixieOnaLeaf Sun 04-Apr-10 13:50:24

Hells73 - If you have their mums on facebook as your friends as well, though, surely their mothers could message you on facebook without going through their underage children?

Umleila Sun 04-Apr-10 18:31:36

My daughter, although over 13, is not allowed on FB. Why? because she's doing her homework. How come all of these kids have so much time to spend on FB anyway? DD says that many kids she knows rush thro their homework and then stay up to midnight on FB/BEBO/MSN etc. Where are their parents? I would not have time to monitor her use if I let her use it anyway. Teachers at her school also have FB pages just so they can monitor what the kids say and regularly tell the girls off for being so bitchy to each other.

Why would anyone want to join that sort of community when there are telephones in the world?

GenevieveHawkings Sun 04-Apr-10 21:35:42

I totally agree. Leave Facebook for the kids I say - that's certainly all it's fit for. grin

jasper Mon 05-Apr-10 01:51:19

lighten up

ravenAK Wed 07-Apr-10 02:22:43

It's probably safe to assume that your dd's teachers don't have FB pages in order to monitor what their students say.

I'm a teacher; I use FB to keep in touch with friends & family members.

I don't accept friend requests from current students, so I'm happily oblivious to whatever they're getting up to. Nor would it be possible for any teacher to 'monitor' what students say online - they're clearly misunderstanding the nature of privacy settings!

UnquietDad Wed 26-May-10 11:35:13

It's weird - my friend's daughter (who I know shouldn't be on there) begged me and DW to befriend her and now sends us invitations to all sort of shit groups.

Mostly those called things like "OMG I Can't Believe This Optical Illusion" (and you have to "Like it to see what the illusion is), and various bollocks to do with Justin twat-face Bieber.

And why, why, why for the love of gawd do teenage girls list their friends as their "spouses" and "siblings" ??!!

DeniseS Thu 02-Dec-10 20:40:37

you cannot report underage children unless you know 1.the URL and 2. their email address

aokay Wed 08-Dec-10 20:05:36

my pre-teen is underage & joined - I disliked this on safety grounds so reported and asked for acc removal - FB removed then step-mother reinstated account using her own(the steps) dob. Now nothing I can do and I can't 'monitor' as step then has window into my acc via friend pages. Really frustrating - should take it to court but feel life too short - to make it worse, acc has poor privacy settings, lists school and personal info & has a recent pic on profile - so safety is compromised. I am "a killjoy" for confronting step re safety issue. Very annoyed with facebook. Step beyond contempt...

buckwea Thu 16-Dec-10 23:37:56

how do i report underage children on facebook?

Jennyresearch Thu 06-Jan-11 14:00:37

Hello,

I am currently doing a study into 'sexualisation in the media and the impact it has on kids' for my degree.
Children are becoming more actively involved in social networking sites where they can easily make friends with strangers, as a parent does this concern you?
Also these social networking sites set up games aimed at children, therefore is it not there responsibility to safeguard the site and protect our children?

UNITLAB Fri 07-Jan-11 16:49:45

I know of a childs account, set up by the mothershock

The child is only 6! and the whole account is just an ADVERT FOR TROUBLE as it's so clearly what it is, a child.

do some parents have no "*social awareness*" of what they are doing, or the fact that it is a form of FRAUD as they would have to have lied to set the account up!!

Sadly angry*facebook has become a victim of it's own success, and can no longer police itself*

Lizmundo Wed 26-Oct-11 16:09:06

Hi everyone, I'm trying to complete research into types of websites your children or other children you know visit, so I can look into the safety features of the site. I've set up a blog for you to post comments to & I'd be very grateful if you'd help me out smile

My blog is: socialnetresearch.blogspot.com/

Thank you very much smile

mollymole Wed 26-Oct-11 16:17:01

A friend of mine set up her 9 year old daughter and then allowed her to post
topless photographs of her (the child) in the garden as well as pictures of her 'posing' in a bikini and makeup. I reported it and nothing was done. The mother thinks it's 'a bit of fun'.

Lizmundo Wed 26-Oct-11 16:28:06

what?!?!?! shock

wellymelly Mon 31-Oct-11 01:24:15

omg molly!!! tragic. Some parents are just brainless though. My ds just started secondary school and is 11 and a half. I want to hang out until 13 but everyone in the school, almost is on there already and they are having such a lovely time messaging each other. At the moment these kids - all they care about is upping their friend numbers, which is a concern. Most have lied about their age and occupation so as far as FB goes they are adults. I want to report the lot of them!!! Its so frustrating for me as I feel like I have to give in to peer pressure.

mumeeee Tue 01-Nov-11 08:42:22

I'm on Facebook. Mainly to keep on touch with friends and family. I don't play the games and neither do my 24 and 21 year old daughters although the 19 year old does. As the 2 older ones have said you can play games on other sites. In fact there are sites that are just for games and they are free. Face book can be safe if you set your security to the highest settings. But I still would not let an under 13 year old have an account.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now