How could Google and other internet companies better help you better protect your children online? Your ideas needed please.

(78 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 09-Feb-10 11:02:59

It's Safer Internet Day 2010 today! So we thought we'd ask Mumsnet what you thought would help make your children safer online? We're going to sit down with the folks at Google in a few weeks to discuss what they might be able to do to help, so it would be great to be armed with your thoughts and experiences.

What is your biggest concern re your children's internet use? What, if any, safeguards/controls do you use? How do you rate them? What would you like in the way of online protection, in an ideal world?

Hopefully, collectively, we can come up with some ideas/solutions.

Thanks in advance.

hellion Mon 07-Feb-11 21:09:11

Just to add that I don't get any spam through google. My virus checker/antispam filters it all out. You can also change the Google settings to STRICT and this will filter a lot of the inappropirate contents (although the odd things does get through).

hellion Mon 07-Feb-11 21:30:05

Actually why don't Google default their settings to strict. Those who need to know could then change them.

Karen673 Thu 29-Dec-11 16:46:24

Hi all smile

I just wanted to let you know that there's a simple product out there called "SafeSearchLock" that does exactly what hellion described. It instantly makes strict safe searching the DEFAULT setting for Google, YouTube, Bing and loads more sites with a single convenient and secure password lock.

It works with multiple browsers, multiple windows user accounts and there's no need to sign into Google or any other sites to lock on their safesearch features. Simple!

Just install it, choose a password and job done! All key search engines and other major sites will be instantly and automatically locked to their strictest safe search settings.

My hubby helped create it so yes I'm tad bit biased, but it's such a great idea I hope you don't mind me mentioning it here. Only launched last year it's already being used in 11 different countries.

Just google "SafeSearchLock", or go to www.safesearchlock.com to download.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now