Mine craft - suitable for a 6 year old?

(14 Posts)
LadyFlumpalot Sun 30-Oct-16 09:37:20

Hi all,

Neither DH or I are particularly into online gaming, we have a PlayStation 3 (ancient) that is mostly used for Amazon, YouTube and blu-rays.

DS has started watching minecraft YouTube videos and has asked for minecraft for Xmas - I'm a bit unsure as to what it is, I thought it was just another version of The Simms type thing, but DH says that all play is online and players have to join chat rooms?

Any advice or tips?

Tldr;

Non techy me wants reassuring that buying minecraft for 6 year old will be fine.

SweepTheHalls Sun 30-Oct-16 09:39:32

My Ds's aged 5 and 7 have it on their tablets at on the X-Box. 5 year old is easily bored by it - but likes to ne just like his brother, 7 year old loves it. It is rather like lego - but digital if you play it on creative mode rather than survival.

LadyFlumpalot Sun 30-Oct-16 09:43:36

Ok, that's reassuring, thank you. So you an okay it as a standalone game rather than online?

LadyFlumpalot Sun 30-Oct-16 09:43:56

You can play*

MrsLettuce Sun 30-Oct-16 09:49:24

Yy it doesn't have to be online. Get a copy for your play station, I'm sure he'll love it

LadyFlumpalot Sun 30-Oct-16 09:50:32

Awesome, thanks all!

BrieAndChilli Sun 30-Oct-16 09:53:23

We have minecradt on the Xbox and the tablets. They don't play it online except at mine craft club at school but it is restricted to connecting with the other people at the club.
I think it is a good game, my 3 spend ages building villages, circuses, farms etc together and have invented a game where one of them hides something and then the others have to try and find it.

Wonderflonium Sun 30-Oct-16 09:53:24

It's such a great game, he'll love it! You can set it up as single player or have closed networks so it is only his real life buddies he is playing with.

Alorsmum Sun 30-Oct-16 09:59:45

It's fab! My children have played it from 6 as a standalone game (creative mode) it's much like a virtual Lego. A bit older when they had friends round who joined their worlds when on the same wifi network.
I don't think they have ever played online with strangers.

RueDeWakening Sun 30-Oct-16 10:07:42

My children age 9, 6 and 3 all play it, we only have the pocket edition app on a tablet. They can play in creative and survival but it isn't linked to any chat room or other players.

BusStopBetty Sun 30-Oct-16 10:08:39

It's great for that age, and yes, we limit it to closed network so can only play with other people in the house.

LadyFlumpalot Sun 30-Oct-16 10:13:53

Oh brilliant, thanks all!

Wellhellothere1 Sun 30-Oct-16 10:17:19

Sorry to derail but my 6 year old DS is just getting into Minecraft but gets a bit frustrated add he doesn't really know how to play. Any tips our sites that explain the game?

RueDeWakening Sun 30-Oct-16 13:30:08

He could watch the Stampylongnose videos on YouTube, they've helped my lot get started.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now