mobile phone use in year 7

(7 Posts)
happykay Tue 14-Jan-14 18:15:20

DS wants a nokia 201 which would seem to give him Internet access (he desperate to use whatsapp with all his friends). What do I need to do to limit inappropriate internet use? and what other rules do you have for similar age kids? I know prob dealt with elsewhere but have looked and not found

advicefriend111 Thu 17-Apr-14 00:10:25

I think you should let him have the phone just incase in an emergency. I would check his phone on a regular basis but make sure you don't go on his messages (unless you are x

advicefriend111 Thu 17-Apr-14 00:11:31

Worried about him) let me know if this helps smile

noblegiraffe Thu 17-Apr-14 00:12:49

Go to the CEOPs website, they have loads of good advice.

https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/

BackforGood Thu 17-Apr-14 00:14:48

When each of my dc have been in Yr7, they've not had internet on their phones. Problem solved. None of them has been socially ostracised.

junebanger64 Sat 19-Apr-14 18:21:03

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

meditrina Sat 19-Apr-14 18:30:30

Once of secondary age, there is little you can do but rely on them and the standards they have learned.

A device-based filter such as K9 is probably worth it, but cannot be totally relied on (no filter can).

By secondary age, DC are digital natives and there is nothing that little you can do to limit content. This isn't counsel of despair, btw. If you thought you had more time to educate your DC on cyber security and what is 'out there' this is meant to be the wake up call that you need to do it now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now