Setting up Kindle Fire HD

(6 Posts)
Thewhingingdefective Thu 03-Oct-13 10:49:31

I recently took out a new phone contract and got a free Kindle Fire HD, which I plan to give my daughter for her 8th birthday in a few months. Can you give me any advice on what I should do to set up filters to ensure she is not accessing inappropriate material if going online. Thanks.

deewillow Fri 11-Oct-13 20:22:07

Watching with interest as thinking of getting a kindle fire for 11yr old.......put off getting ipad as not able to set restrictions/parental control in safari? Seems you either have to allow safari.....or turn it off? Hoping kindle fire maybe better

Retsma Wed 16-Oct-13 21:49:01

You can download safety apps and restrict everything from the touch of a button (well I presume, I haven't got one! Lol) just look in the setting and on the App Store

someoneseatenmyapple Sun 29-Dec-13 11:42:47

The Kindle Fire HD has great parental controls so you can block everything you want to with one password. My DS got one for Christmas on the promise that he would read more. It is set up in my name and is linked to my amazon account so he cannot buy anything without me knowing about it.

When he takes it up a bedtime I block all apps, music, … everything basically so that he can only read his book. Its got better parental control than an iPad and so I am really pleased with the purchase.

Donnadoon Mon 06-Jan-14 21:10:30

My problem is that dds kindle is linked to my kindle and she has all my books on hers ?? I've deleted all the adult themed books I've read but this is not ideal long term. Any suggestions ? Many thanks.

sallybenson Thu 13-Feb-14 14:31:47

Use Freetime - it's installed on the Kindle Fire as default. Create a profile for your child and then set which apps she can use... can set time limits too... it's really helpful. I have a Kindle Fire and each child has their own profile. Only problem is I never get to use the damn thing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now