iPad having too much focus

(3 Posts)
sandboxsam Fri 13-Sep-13 12:32:22

I had an issue with my 11 year old son. He did not do his homework in timely manner – it was often late in the evening when he remembered that something was unfinished, delaying bed time and sometimes even missing part of the homework all together. He was clearly not focussing on homework and preoccupied with a new iPad mini.
The iPad was clearly distraction for him; he was spending much more time with it than we had agreed Part of the problem was that there was no-one supervising him when he got back from school, as we parents game home few hours later.
Should I do the obvious move: lock the iPad while we were away or take it with me to work? No, I did not. I considered with my wife that he is mature enough to learn more self-discipline and be able to focus on tasks that were not always what he wanted.
So we agreed a goal with my son that home work has to be done right after the school and the first thing he is allowed to do with the iPad is reporting to Monsta Points app that all school work is completed. Of course – we use some additional motivating reward too for if things are done all right.
This is the third week on-going, and he has not yet failed even once. The first week the parent who arrived home first checked that the homework was really done. The second week we checked Monday, Wednesday and Friday, but this week we only check it occasionally. So do I really know that he does this task before other activities? No I do not, but I am more than happy that he has learned to carry responsibility for his homework.

Have you others had similar problems - how have you managed them?

JacqueslePeacock Fri 13-Sep-13 13:14:22

That's great for you - well done. I have no idea what a Monsta points app is, but it sounds very useful.

tehtoby900 Sun 29-Sep-13 19:40:28

The excitement will eventually die down, as most new toys kids get do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now